What's the worst thing that has happened to you on the golf course?

mgcyr

Reaction score
Handicap
So today, my first day as a member at my new country club, I shanked a 3-iron and hit the windshield of a cart on the parallel fairway. Thankfully there was no one inside, and the twosome were very gracious (they were actually no where near the cart at the time). I did shatter the windshield though.

Errrmmmm. I almost lost my buddies P wedge once

Lol. I could write a book with the crap I have either broke or helped break. I've hit three cars but only one of those had something bad broken and that was the front windshield, broke the siding on a house, broke an axle on a golf cart hitting another cart that pulled out in front of me, I've broken a piece of pvc pipe off the roof of a house not including the hundreds of shots I put off the roof, decks and things in yards and the granddady of them all, I hit an old man standing behind the 18th hole, watching us play, one day right in the nads off of one hop. But this is only in the past 10 years and stuff that comes right off the top of my head, I'm sure before it's all said and done something will be blown or destroyed.

Lol. I could write a book with the crap I have either broke or helped break. I've hit three cars but only one of those had something bad broken and that was the front windshield, broke the siding on a house, broke an axle on a golf cart hitting another cart that pulled out in front of me, I've broken a piece of pvc pipe off the roof of a house not including the hundreds of shots I put off the roof, decks and things in yards and the granddady of them all, I hit an old man standing behind the 18th hole, watching us play, one day right in the nads off of one hop. But this is only in the past 10 years and stuff that comes right off the top of my head, I'm sure before it's all said and done something will be blown or destroyed.

Its okay. The man probably doesnt use them anymore.

Nads rofl, I haven't heard that in ages.

MG, since no one got hurt, that is kinda funny, good to get all your bad luck out on first day. Enjoy your new membership!!

well me, my cousin, and a good buddy of mine were playing at one of our courses around here. we just got done with a par 4 then the cart path goes up a big hill to where the next par 3 tee box is. Well the maintenance crew was behind us moving hole locations after we got done because we were the last people to play that day, my cousin and buddy are in the cart in front of me and im following them and turn around to watch the crew switch the hole and did not realize they stopped at the top of the hill and SMASH rear end the crap out of them and bend the back. For some reason we all start bust out laughing because of the stupid thing i just did and the crew just looks at us and continues on there way. On that par 3 we see and snake so my cousin takes out a 3iron and kills it a puts in the back of the cart to throw in the tress when we get done so it doesnt harm anyone(sorry if anyone is offended by the snake killing) we get to the 9th green(9 hole course) and the owner comes out and inspects everything and the back of the cart is bent to hell and he has a worker try to move in back in place and thankfully it pops right back in place and he laughs and says what the hell were you doing? told him the snake scared me and i hit the gas by accident and hit them, i was to embarrassed to say i was a moron for not paying attention and smashing the back of it lol

One time, when I first started playing golf in the late '90s, my 9-iron flew out my hand on during my swing and flew about 75 yards down the fairway. It didnt hit anyone, thankfully but it definetly wasnt one of my finer moments.

I once hit a driver off the tee, and the driver went around my body and kept going behind me. Lost my grip, and the driver went straight back bouncing into the shins of my 3 playing partners. Didnt break anything, but VERY embarrassing.

shanked a drive once off the tee 100 yards out and a 100 yards to the left into oncoming traffic! thankfully didnt hit anybody but we heard a couple of cars lock up the brakes to avoid the ball! about a hour or so later were leaving the course and taking that same road back home and low and behold theres that damn golf ball on the side of the road! we stopped and I jumped out and grabbed it, still have it in my truck as a good luck charm since I didnt kill anyone with it!

at the local municipal course, hole number 6 is a par 3 that runs along side a pretty busy road. the green is probably 30-40 yard right of the road and there's a green meshed, chain linked fence that runs along side it. anyway, from the tips it plays about 185 or so, i hit a big nasty push off the tee one day, smacked a UPS truck, the driver pulled over to inspect damage, i'm still on the tee box and we begin conducting a conversation through this fence. i busted out a headlight and apologized, he just laughed, says it happens all the time there.

The worst thing, actually happened to my buddy in high school during a team match. The first hole is a gentle dogleg right. To the right of the hole a very high fence was recently put in to protect the course's main parking lot. (Locals always parked in the aux parking lot and walked the extra 100 yards to keep our cars safe.)
Anyways my buddy jeff was battling a nasty hook so recently his swing thought was to always keep the hands quiet and not let them snap through the contact zone........ (wait for it....)
He steps up and hits the biggest push/slice we've ever seen. It started 45* right of where he was aiming, then took a 90* right turn. UP over the fence then we hear a loud *CRASH* Naturally jeff's crushed, we're high school kids after all and can't afford to fix a car window. We walk out to the parking lot where we find Jeff had broken the back window of HIS OWN CAR!!
Yeah that's running bad.
Jeff shrugged it off, went back to the round, and showed up the next day with a duct tape back window.

It was really not something that happened to me but was caused by me. I was playing on a course that the greens were right near the next teebox. The group in front of us was at the teebox on the next hole when I hit my shot into the green. I hit it thin and right at the teebox. One of the guys was standing there watching his buddy hit his tee shot. The guy had his club resting in front of him. The hole was a par three and he had a steel shaft in his club. My ball headed right at his zipper and it was going so fast I did not have a chance to even yell fore. The ball his the shaft and deflected to the right. I had my heart in my throat thinking I was going to make this guy talk in a high falsetto shortly. The guy did not know what happened until it was all over. Scared me more than it did him. We both had a good laugh when I went to apologize to him.

Last edited:
Worst I've done = bounce my second shot off the clubhouse roof because I grabbed a 6 instead of a 9 (alcohol was involved)

Worst I've received = caught a drive with my head

One time, when I first started playing golf in the late '90s, my 9-iron flew out my hand on during my swing and flew about 75 yards down the fairway. It didnt hit anyone, thankfully but it definetly wasnt one of my finer moments.

Did the ball at least go further than the club?

yeah... thats the winner right there.

I think solidkjames and his shot into the old guy's nads is giving me a run for my money and Gus R could have beat me if the guys iron shaft wasn't in the way. Us fellas know how much impact to the nether region hurts much more than a head wound.

that doesnt even make sense sunday lol

You probably missed it a while back but now some refer to getting hit by a ball as getting "dirt guyed"

This has been all over THP, but I will say it here. I nailed JB's launch monitor with everybody watching. I have never toed a ball that bad in my life and I happened to do it when there was a launch monitor and a bunch of people watching.

These stories are great.

I find it hard to believe that you, of all the members on this board, don't have a story to add to this thread.

(You know I love you, and your porch beef :act-up:)

I think solidkjames and his shot into the old guy's nads is giving me a run for my money and Gus R could have beat me if the guys iron shaft wasn't in the way. Us fellas know how much impact to the nether region hurts much more than a head wound.
"

I thought the thread was called the WORST thing not the FUNNIEST.

I find it hard to believe that you, of all the members on this board, don't have a story to add to this thread.

(You know I love you, and your porch beef :act-up:)
Well..... I have a really hard time following the ball and let's just say I am sticking with that story.

A buddy of mine killed a goose with an errant shot. The ranger came over and just when we thought we were in trouble he got out of the cart and thanked us. We felt pretty bad. Now we chase them away if they are near the spot that we now call "the kill zone".

Back