Grandura Shafts Review Thread

Really need to get my paws on a 510 to try.

A lot of people are discussing swings holding up to flex and such and I think its more of a misnomer than anything else and how the body and mind react to a flex. I also think online fitting is fantastic for what it is, but people have to have or know the information and put it in accurately. Too many people that I have played with from THP think they hit the ball too high (and they are lower than peak of 100) and swing faster than they really do. There is also a lot more to choosing flex than just swing speed.

Its not a knock on them of course, just that without accurate information available, people have a tendency to overestimate based on what else is out there. There is a large difference in speed between 95 and 100 so using that and going on the high end will bring different results.

Along these lines, philosophy on how stiff a player should go (generally, of course) would be an interesting question to pose to the folks at Grandura. I know I've heard different approaches to flex from different folks in the industry - "play the softest you can control" vs. "play stiffer for more consistency". From the online fitting (which has the limitations you described, it seems they gravitate towards the stiffer side, given that they suggested the TS at 97mph for me. To be honest, my guess is that their stance is "see a fitter", which is something I'd absolutely do were I to put one of these in my driver. I've found that by numbers, I'll often get suggested a stiff shaft, but we find in a fitting that I'm centering the ball more with the R.

I will say, in terms of profile, the fitting did peg me for a high launching shaft, which is a profile I've preferred from a feel standpoint in previous driver testings.

Getting out for 18 tomorrow morning. Will let my buddy (assistant pro and 110+ swing speed) get some cuts in with it too.

Grandura must mean easy because they seem very easy to hit. I watched Chris rope some drives with his setup. The elevation and trajectory I was seeing from him was very pleasing to the eyes. I wish now I had taken a few more cuts with it.

Grandura must mean easy because they seem very easy to hit. I watched Chris rope some drives with his setup. The elevation and trajectory I was seeing from him was very pleasing to the eyes. I wish now I had taken a few more cuts with it.

well, given what we talked about today, you know where i live!!! seriously, let's get out again soon so you can hit it some more. one of the more encouraging shots i hit with it was on #18 where you blistered your drive and i hit mine pretty well for me and we ended up almost next to each other. the fact is, i swing neither as fast as you, nor efficiently as you, nor as well as you, but this shaft gave me the nudge to still get it out with respectable distance (270 iirc).

i was really popping this on the range before our round. hooker on #1 and #17, but other than that some really good work with this setup today. i have so much confidence, and i'm taking lines i honestly never would have taken in any other setup to date. as i get more and more accustomed to it, i know what i need to put into the swing to get what i want out of it. i still contend that i would like to see what difference may be gained with 590 71g s flex instead of ts, but it's really hard to argue with the results i'm seeing.

curious to hear whether wake or jim54 have any feedback from the short time they spent with it today.

well, given what we talked about today, you know where i live!!! seriously, let's get out again soon so you can hit it some more. one of the more encouraging shots i hit with it was on #18 where you blistered your drive and i hit mine pretty well for me and we ended up almost next to each other. the fact is, i swing neither as fast as you, nor efficiently as you, nor as well as you, but this shaft gave me the nudge to still get it out with respectable distance (270 iirc).

i was really popping this on the range before our round. hooker on #1 and #17, but other than that some really good work with this setup today. i have so much confidence, and i'm taking lines i honestly never would have taken in any other setup to date. as i get more and more accustomed to it, i know what i need to put into the swing to get what i want out of it. i still contend that i would like to see what difference may be gained with 590 71g s flex instead of ts, but it's really hard to argue with the results i'm seeing.

curious to hear whether wake or jim54 have any feedback from the short time they spent with it today.
This setup flat worked for you today. The ball just seemed to want to fly high and straight, with very little movement.

I only took a few cuts with it on the range today, mainly because I was struggling with my own setup and didn't need to introduce doubt that it was the arrow not the Indian. But the ball flight with it was very very good. It got up in a hurry, but didn't seem to be getting hung up at all. As we discussed the XR/ LZ combo is the only setup I've hit that had my launch up without causing spin to get crazy high. Obviously I don't have numbers from the Grandura but I bet it would be similar to the XR.

Chris, you were hitting it real well with a great ball flight and direction, very impressive Drives on a pretty tight Course with all the Bunkers.

I only took 1 swing with it on the range (and hit it OK) but like Austin said I have been having issues with the Driver swing and could not do it any justice. I really wish I had hit again after Freddie got me hitting the ball better later in the round. The difference his help made in my own club was night and day. Next time for sure I would like to take some more swings with it.

I really wish I had hit again after Freddie got me hitting the ball better later in the round. The difference his help made in my own club was night and day. Next time for sure I would like to take some more swings with it.

what Freddie did with you and what you did with what he gave you is probably the fastest and most impressive results I've ever seen. I'm excited for you and what is in store. I think you picked up 20-30y just today!

and as far as taking more swings, let's make it happen sooner than later. I'm thinking providence is in our future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decent round today though my swing was a bit wonky. Had my buddy hit it (scratch golfer, 110+ swing speed) and commented that it definitely feels pretty stout, and doesn't kick as much as his current shaft (ahina, x flex) and said if I didn't tell him it was stiff he would have thought it was an x flex. He saw mid trajectory and he didn't have any issues hitting a nice baby draw with.

The more I use the Grandura the more I am enjoying the shaft. The 590 is producing a mid to high ball flight with no sign of ballooning anywhere. Its allowed me to increase ball flight without a large increase in spin and the same held true for a number of others that tested my shaft at the range recently. The feel of the shaft is stable as has been described, but not to a point where I do not feel the head through the swing and it has a certain explosion as the down swing heads towards impact that I am beginning to crave.

Combining it with the Callaway GBB and a sound that has become one of my favorites ever in regards to contact and I have a club that I literally crave to hit on tee boxes as soon as I pull up. There is something about the combination that just seems to work well for me.

The shaft is delivering exactly what it says, which to me is becoming somewhat of a rarity. Mid-high ball flight, without too much spin and hitting apex height without ballooning. Call it the process, the materials or the expertise in creation, but so far, this Grandura line delivers. Best release I have seen since the original Miyazaki line in terms of quality level.

I have a club that I literally crave to hit on tee boxes as soon as I pull up.

as someone who was scared of driver with no idea where the ball might go, this is what the Grandura has done for me as well. I have a weapon in my hands. Before, I would pull driver if I had to; now I have to find a reason not to hit it. I think that's the stability and dispersion; I know I can give it a rip and it will go where I want it to go. it's a special product.

I have a club that I literally crave to hit on tee boxes as soon as I pull up.

as someone who was scared of driver with no idea where the ball might go, this is what the Grandura has done for me as well. I have a weapon in my hands. Before, I would pull driver if I had to; now I have to find a reason not to hit it. I think that's the stability and dispersion; I know I can give it a rip and it will go where I want it to go. it's a special product.

Great thoughts JB! Even tho I've got the 550, I'm still finding that my launch has absolutely increased without ballooning and I don't have numbers to back it up but I don't see a crazy increase in spin either. Of course stable is a word we keep hearing from the other testers and it's so true. Im realllllllly liking the way this feels!

I really want to try out the 510-X on one of my 12* heads to replace my ahina shaft. I just can't find where to buy one, golfworks said they wouldn't have them till October I believe.

I really want to try out the 510-X on one of my 12* heads to replace my ahina shaft. I just can't find where to buy one, golfworks said they wouldn't have them till October I believe.

I think the release date is early October, maybe the 5th?

They are not being released until October and even then its limited in supply. Shows how early THPers got them, as they do not even have a rep out on the PGA Tour as of yet.

I did speak to them and in an email they said thru Golfworks $349.00 + tax / shipping that included the adapter also. They did not specify a date in the email.

They are not being released until October and even then its limited in supply. Shows how early THPers got them, as they do not even have a rep out on the PGA Tour as of yet.

Well, my birthdays in October so something to look forward too.

The 550 is going strong and the added length is a bonus for me. The shaft still feels very stable, even with a total length of 47". Still getting the mid ball flight, with only a slight difference in launch going from 12.5 down to 8.5. Obviously the launch is a bit lower at 8.5, but not by much. The ball gets up pretty quick and rides high, and deep, for me. It's hard to gauge roll out when hitting outside, but it seems like more than I am used to. if The distance gains I initially found have remained, a solid ten yards overall. As far as dispersion, I played 9, used driver on every hole I could, and hit every fairway, but one. And the missed one was only by a few feet. To say that I'm thrilled with this shaft is a huge understatement, it is the best shaft I have ever used.

good thoughts bbb. I've dropped money on more expensive shafts than this seeking what I'm getting with this shaft now, and none have performed as well.

Keep the updates coming everybody.

I should be able to get on the course probably Wednesday. Kinda bummed I didn't get out yesterday. Every time I pull driver I'm just excited to use it, the 550 is just a killer offering.

Enjoying the updates. Sounds like these shafts are winning in the dispersion category. That's huge as I need to reel in my dispersion with my driver, especially on those not struck as well as I had hoped.

First of all, apologies to all of the other testers for my lack of updates in this thread over the past 10 days. I was on vacation in Mexico and didn't have a computer with me, only my phone. I prefer to do larger updates when I can sit down at a computer, so now I'm able to do that.

I played 4 rounds while I was on vacation there. My GPS device would not recognize the courses down there, so I wasn't able to get exact yardages on my drives. However, both courses that I played had very detailed yardage books so I was able to get a general idea of how far my drives were going, especially because there weren't many holes that were doglegs where the distances could be deceiving. The conditions were like Florida for me: it was hot and humid, but it was also the rainy season there so the grass was "sticky" (for lack of a better term) and some holes had almost no roll on my drives. In other words, a good bit different than what I had been playing up here in New England. The nice part is that apart from 1 hole (a very short par 4), I was able to hit driver on every par 4 and par 5 on those 2 courses.

For the week with the driver, I hit 22 out of 50 fairways using that club, which is 44%. I know that's not an impressive number for some people, but it's a slight increase over my average for the year. I will say that the more I play this club, the more I feel that it demands that my swing is working well. There were 2 different occasions where when my swing was off, I saw some poor results. The first round, my swing was very arms-dominated and I wasn't using my body as much as I could, and I was noticing drives that were only carrying in the 220-230 yard range. What was worse is that I was seeing a mid-height ball flight and the ball was just falling out of the sky on some of the drives. It took me until the 18th hole to actually make a proper swing and get the ballflight that I was seeking, and was rewarded with a nice 260 yard drive. What I figured out is that with the arms-dominated swing, I wasn't generating enough swing speed for what this shaft needs, and the spin wasn't high enough with that lower ball speed to keep the ball in the air.

The other thing that I saw was big misses. Normally, my big miss is a quick hook, and that showed up on occasion. That is mainly a swing fault and I don't think any shaft is going to really cure that miss. The other big miss that I am seeing with this shaft that is new for me is a big high right slice, or a push-slice if you want to call it that. It's very weird for me to see the ball move left-to-right, and that is a new shot I'm seeing with this shaft in this clubhead. It was frustrating because it led to some penalty shots off of the tee. In the round where I had that miss the most, I tried to fix it afterwards on the range and instead just kept hitting slices. Again, this was likely more of a swing flaw than anything else, but I also think that this shaft feels FOR ME that it's a bit stiffer in the tip than what I'm used to playing, and if I get lazy with it, I can leave the clubface more open than I want to at times.

It may have been due to course conditions, but I was seeing 2 ballflights on well-struck shots when I was hitting it well: a mid-trajectory flight that would get some roll after hitting the fairways and roll out to the 250-260 range, or a high-trajectory flight that wouldn't roll very much, but the carry distance was very good. I hit a couple of drives with that high-trajectory flight where I was really surprised with how much carry distance I saw. One in particular stays in my memory: absolutely hammered a high-trajectory shot but it was going right at the corner of a bunker that was 260 to carry. I didn't see the ball land, but assumed that it was in the bunker, so I was shocked when I drove the cart up there and found the ball had carried past the bunker, which allowed me to go for a par 5 green on the second shot (led to birdie on the hole). Some of the variation in ballflight could be down to something as simple as tee height or ball position, but I'm also tempted to increase the loft on my driver to maximize the carry distance with this shaft, as hitting the higher-trajectory shot did not seem to alter the spin very much.

I wish I could say that I've had tremendous improvements in my accuracy with this shaft like other testers, but the more that I'm playing this shaft, the numbers are only showing a small increase in fairways hit. I know that my driver swing is the weakest part of my game, and I'm probably never going to be a guy that hit 70-80% of fairways. I will say that in terms of the shaft performance, I think this is a shaft that wants to be hit hard; as I said earlier, when my swing speed was down earlier last week, the performance wasn't there. When I got back to using my lower body more to drive my swing and my swing speed came back, I was rewarded with good performance. Maybe the higher launching versions of this shaft (550 and 590 in this testing) aren't as demanding, but I think that you need to make an aggressive move through the ball with this shaft.

I feel like I'm rambling a bit, and my son is waking up from his nap, so I'm going to end this post. Feel free to post comments or questions, I will try to get to them when I can later today or tomorrow.

Back