Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 Fairway Woods Review

Well I did NOT have my best stuff at the range today, but I'll throw down a few thoughts.

-Feel is extremely solid and sound is just as good, especially when you pure it. Muted thwack with very little metallic sound to it. Quite similar to the 910F if I'm being honest, even maybe a little less metallic.

-Launches much easier off the deck than the 910F given a decent swing. Likely has a lot to do with the significant shaft difference (Phenom 65 vs ahina 82), but still.

-A well struck ball yields a piercing mid flight with some energy off the face. I can really feel the shaft load and unload here.

-It has a tendency to go left on me out of the gate compared to the 910. Probably again has a lot to do with the shaft - much softer in the tip here and more flexible overall.

-So far I've only tried the stock "right light" weight and the super light 3g...won't try that again. Made the feel completely different and kind of hollow. Interested to try the 11g now, and tweak the adapter a bit.

Anyways just a few first impressions, I really need to get on a monitor for some hard numbers to see the comparison to the 910F.

Isn't it amazing how much the weights change the feel of the club? It was shocking to me at first.

For me the 11g was "it", its a fun fairway, a really fun fairway.

I had to try placing the weights when mine came in and 3g one was a little stubborn but ended up going in just fine. Sounds like it might help you off the deck and hopefully gives the control you want off the tee. Nothing like finding a good deal and taking a blind jump that works out.

Isn't it amazing how much the weights change the feel of the club? It was shocking to me at first.

For me the 11g was "it", its a fun fairway, a really fun fairway.
It really is. Felt TOTALLY different. Definitely wasn't my thing in that weight, but for someone it might be, and that's the beauty I'd the great adjustability Wilson's built into these. 11g might just be the ticket for me as well, I'll be interested to see.

The 3g one was kinda tricky to get in there for me for some reason, seemed very tight. The 7g one by comparison fit like a glove.

Just put the 11g in, fit much better. 3g weight must have been on the high end of the tolerance or something.

Adapter works very nicely too, just changed it to 16.5 to open the face a shade more and see if I can limit the lefts.

I had to try placing the weights when mine came in and 3g one was a little stubborn but ended up going in just fine. Sounds like it might help you off the deck and hopefully gives the control you want off the tee. Nothing like finding a good deal and taking a blind jump that works out.
Yep, just need to figure out what kind of swing I need to make off the tee, and the right setting to make it work. The help off the deck makes me optimistic about this one, cause I can make most fairways work off the tee - it's the deck where some just don't cut it for me.

Would also help to hit it on a day when I have a swing haha

Had my first round out with this baby today, and it really went well. Didn't hit any off the deck, but I tee'd off on 6 or 7 holes with it, and every one was smoked with the exception of one where I turned my hands too quick and smothered a low hook. The trajectory that this club gets on a well struck ball is just awesome - mid flight, piercing, but with energy off the face. Sound is just excellent - a sweet, muted nothing of a sound when you pure it. ArmyGolf and I both agreed that it sounds even better than the 910F - which is an excellent sounding club in it's own right. Really enjoying this club so far! For the prices they're going for, these things are tough to beat.

I have normally used a stiff shaft but wondered if this shaft is so flexible perhaps I should drop back to regular. Swing speed around 94 to 96.Prices on this club are so good right now.
Well I did NOT have my best stuff at the range today, but I'll throw down a few thoughts.

-Feel is extremely solid and sound is just as good, especially when you pure it. Muted thwack with very little metallic sound to it. Quite similar to the 910F if I'm being honest, even maybe a little less metallic.

-Launches much easier off the deck than the 910F given a decent swing. Likely has a lot to do with the significant shaft difference (Phenom 65 vs ahina 82), but still.

-A well struck ball yields a piercing mid flight with some energy off the face. I can really feel the shaft load and unload here.

-It has a tendency to go left on me out of the gate compared to the 910. Probably again has a lot to do with the shaft - much softer in the tip here and more flexible overall.

-So far I've only tried the stock "right light" weight and the super light 3g...won't try that again. Made the feel completely different and kind of hollow. Interested to try the 11g now, and tweak the adapter a bit.

Anyways just a few first impressions, I really need to get on a monitor for some hard numbers to see the comparison to the 910F.

I have normally used a stiff shaft but wondered if this shaft is so flexible perhaps I should drop back to regular. Swing speed around 94 to 96.Prices on this club are so good right now.

Your SS is very close to mine, I think the stiff will work well. I can definitely feel it loading and unloading when I hit this club, in contrast to the ahina, which is very boardy. That being said, if you have a very smooth swing and don't have trouble with the lefts, I could see a regular working nicely and possibly even adding a little distance. It's a very good shaft IMO unless you really hit it high normally.

Keep us posted if you grab one, it's really a great stick and a borderline ridiculous deal at the prices they're going for.

Thank you for your feedback. I like to think i have a smooth swing. I had both knees replaced so my leg drive is not what it once was.I know a range where they had some FG demos.May try to see if the regular shaft would work. What a deal.
Your SS is very close to mine, I think the stiff will work well. I can definitely feel it loading and unloading when I hit this club, in contrast to the ahina, which is very boardy. That being said, if you have a very smooth swing and don't have trouble with the lefts, I could see a regular working nicely and possibly even adding a little distance. It's a very good shaft IMO unless you really hit it high normally.

Keep us posted if you grab one, it's really a great stick and a borderline ridiculous deal at the prices they're going for.

Had my first round out with this baby today, and it really went well. Didn't hit any off the deck, but I tee'd off on 6 or 7 holes with it, and every one was smoked with the exception of one where I turned my hands too quick and smothered a low hook. The trajectory that this club gets on a well struck ball is just awesome - mid flight, piercing, but with energy off the face. Sound is just excellent - a sweet, muted nothing of a sound when you pure it. ArmyGolf and I both agreed that it sounds even better than the 910F - which is an excellent sounding club in it's own right. Really enjoying this club so far! For the prices they're going for, these things are tough to beat.

Interesting. Were you seeing the same ball flight and if so, did it still have some left turn on it? I'm so wary of the "lefts" with fairways and have to tune any wood - whether driver or fairway - for total fade just to get a straight ball...

Interesting. Were you seeing the same ball flight and if so, did it still have some left turn on it? I'm so wary of the "lefts" with fairways and have to tune any wood - whether driver or fairway - for total fade just to get a straight ball...

The same ball flight as what, my 910F? This club has slightly more draw bias than that club, but I feel like it's largely due to the much different shaft - the Phenom is a pretty receptive shaft, whereas the ahina I have in the 910 is very stiff. The head itself is a players-y headshape that can be tuned for launch via weights and draw/fade via the loft adjustment. With a square face, this club does have a slight draw tendency for my swing, whereas the 910 wants to go straight to a slight fade. The nice thing about both clubs though is that the headshapes are fairly compact so it's easy and relatively unobtrusive to open or close the face at address.

I think if you were going to pick up one of these, you'd want to put a stiffer and heavier shaft in to combat the lefts.

Can a high hdcp golfer like me handle this club?

I can't really speak about the fw but the hybrids are great and I have let high hdcp players try them with success. The 3 weights that come with the clubs make quite a bit of difference and the 3g gives a noticeable change if peak height the 11g weight produces something I feel is too low for me.

I can't really speak about the fw but the hybrids are great and I have let high hdcp players try them with success. The 3 weights that come with the clubs make quite a bit of difference and the 3g gives a noticeable change if peak height the 11g weight produces something I feel is too low for me.
I have the 21deg hybrid, love it in the fairway and sometimes off the tee. Have not had a chance to try the FW, but if it responds similarly to the hybrids in feel, I may consider a 3W replacement.

sent from mobile using Tapatalk

I gamed one for a while, but it just wasn't forgiving enough for me when I caught it low on the face. Passed it onto my brother though, and he loves it. It's awesome when you hit it well, great sound and feel.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The price really had me intrigued, but fairway wood play is definitely not a strong suit. Maybe I'll pass.

With all the buzz surrounding Wilson these days I figured I would grab a M3 15 degree off Ebay. New it was $39. It just arrived and it it's not too cold I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. I will say I'm impressed with the looks of the club. Clean and understated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Back