Adults cheating in kids tournament.

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
We played in a parent/child tournament yesterday.

All of the kids had a parent, grandparent, guardian playing with them.

On the long holes, you had to play the parents tee shot , and alternate shot.

On the shorter holes, you played the kids tee shot, and scrambled from there.

There was one team, where a boy (both his parents play there), brought in his 18 year old cousin.
His cousin plays on a local high school team, and last summer she won the course league scramble play 12 out of 16 times.
We finished yesterday, and while driving by stopped to watch them hit. She hit a tee shot on th child's hole, then went and picked up his ball. They scrambled the hole.???

We told the course owner in the clubhouse. He asked them and she lied about it. We had 5 witnesses. Me, my son, my wife and my in-laws.

They still gave her 1st place.

Her team was about 10-12 strokes lower than everyone elses.

I don't blame the course really, they have to trust them. Plus , the boy and his parents are honest. That just proves what some people will do.

This girl thinks she has a future in golf.

It will catch up with her. She stole from all of those kids.

Rant over.

Jack

I don't understand that. Good thing the parents are teaching honesty and integrity.

It is the me me me me me world we live in............

To some people, winning means everything. But they cheat themselves out of all satisfaction that comes from it. My brother is a great example. He entered a contest when he was 12. It was a national contest to see who could do the best picture for the holidays. He worked on it for a week, and it was amazing. He is ridiculously talented.

They sent his drawing back, disqualifying him because they said an adult must have helped him. That was the greatest compliment they could have given him, and "losing" was among his greatest wins.

Winning isn't everything.

Even thought the girl is 18, she can read, and they gave us written copies of the rules .

I guess she is that insecure and must win at all costs.

It could be her parents are pushing and will take her car away or something if she loses.

Jack

Cheaters in tournament play, no way! Lol. I applaud you for letting the organizer know, but we have too many individuals in this game that will do anything to win, it's sad.

For or the rest of us we will just have to take the upper road, there's nothing we can do...

ken

People cheat at golf. More breaking news at 11:00.

Sometimes people want to win so much that they actually believe they're not cheating when they got that score.

A buddy and I were lying two off a par 3 green. The hole was uphill from where we both were. I got on the green, made two putts for a bogey. He missed the green on his next shot, and then got on, and made 2 putts for a 5. He insisted he made par because he remembered holing the putt downhill, but forgot about the 2 extra shots back and forth. Even the caddie agreed.

He's usually a stickler for the rules, but funny things can happen to a guy when he wants to win so much. Scary.

Some people need to have a won, trophy or something to fill a void in their lives and will do anything to get it.

That girl and family apparently really need that trophy to fill the void where their souls used to be. Let them have their trophy. They need it more than you

I think this goes hand in hand with the handicap lying thread. A lot of people suck and unfortunately some of them play golf.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Wow. That is terrible. I hope she tries something like that in a USGA event and gets called out on it.

This is symptomatic of a larger problem I think.

Integrity, honor and character are all more scarce than they used to be. In golf, you will see cheating and poor etiquette far more often than in the past. Also, if you lost a club 20 years ago, you were virtually assured that it would be in the pro shop later that day. Now it's a 50/50 proposition at best...

Your example, adults cheating at a kids' tournament... well that's just a new low.

Someone is caught red-handed, even on tape and they can look you straight in the eye and say "I didn't do it!" Sometimes it works for them! I don't understand it, but have seen it far too many times in sports, politics and every day life.

I played in a couples scramble tourney this weekend. One team was seen by a few people on a couple of occasions where one person would pick up the others ball when they got to the green. Then walk over near the hole and roll their ball to the location they were going to putt from. I didn't see it, but there was some talk going around about it. Then of course, that couple won the tourney. In the scramble format, they shot 60.

I talked with the course owners today. No one was around. They said if she did cheat it was unintentional. Shows where there loyalty is.

Jack

Our youngest daughter plays a bunch of North Texas Junior PGA events and while it's not rampant I remain amazed at how some parents will not call their kids on blatant rule violations, questionable drops, or failing to add the correct penalty. She has lost a few 1st place spots by a shot or two with kids who got fast and loose with the rules and had "knowledgeable" parents who looked the other way. Sad world but it's the one we live in.

Our youngest daughter plays a bunch of North Texas Junior PGA events and while it's not rampant I remain amazed at how some parents will not call their kids on blatant rule violations, questionable drops, or failing to add the correct penalty. She has lost a few 1st place spots by a shot or two with kids who got fast and loose with the rules and had "knowledgeable" parents who looked the other way. Sad world but it's the one we live in.

BigTex has a daughter that plays HS golf and is pretty darn good. He's told me a few stories about kid situations in tournaments that occur and how the parents just try and take over and explain the reasons for and against on rule violations. It's crazy.

BigTex has a daughter that plays HS golf and is pretty darn good. He's told me a few stories about kid situations in tournaments that occur and how the parents just try and take over and explain the reasons for and against on rule violations. It's crazy.

You know what I'm talking about then. My daughter is also on the HS team and the parents are nuts in these matches. There are a dozen matches going on and only coaches to police everything so the parents become the arbiter of right and wrong and rarely do you see them side against their kids. I keep it above board but I've come close to putting my hands around a few necks.

Sadly that happens in all sports. One big thing for us in Baseball is parents altering birth certificates. Letting kids much older play younger age groups.

Back