Niblick Unboxing & Thread

Merged with the Niblick thread. I think you will find a ton of info on this topic in this thread on both questions.
JB, do you have both a 56º CG15 and a 56º Niblick (according to signature)? If so, why?

JB, do you have both a 56º CG15 and a 56º Niblick (according to signature)? If so, why?

My 56* degree wedge is actually bent to 55*. The 56* Niblick is not a wedge. It is a utility club that I use for trouble shots, fried egg or buried bunker shots, or various other shots around the green when needed. On a full swing due to the shorter shaft, it plays more like a 58-60* for me.

I read the THP review and the thread. I was wondering for you folks who have used if for a while how you still like it?

How does it work off of tight lies? How exactly do you use it out of the bunker? Do you just play it with a square club face in all circumstances?

Thank you!

I really like my 56' Niblick. I have used it almost two months now. I traded it in for my 58 Vokey. I use it for pitch shots around the green. When I'm sitting below or around the green, 50 yds and in. I take a 3/4 shot and it goes straight up in the air lands once and rolls a little. Same strategy with shots in the rough. I use it on shots when I'm just below the green. I take a putting stroke, bump and run it up to the hole. I use it in the sand. It's a little half shot with a square club face and barely any divot. It flies right out of the bunker. If you are right next to the lip of the bunkers it is a tougher shot. I do not use it on full shots but I know you can and probably make it go about 70 yds. I use my 52 degree with a 3/4 to 1/2 swing for those shots.

Hope that helps.

I use the 56 along with a 54 Vokey and a 60 Vokey. My two main areas I use the Niblick for are out of the sand and if Im short sided. If I have to run the ball on the green I just get a better feel with the other wedges. It doesnt always look pretty for me out of the sand but for me the bottom line is it gets the ball out on the FIRST try. I honestly think this club can help just about any non professional golfer. Just last week I hit the pin twice in a round with it. It has a permanent spot in my bag.

I holed in from 78 yards with my 46 degree Niblick. Full swing.

Ive had the 42 degree for over a year now and I use from 120 yards and around the green for bump and runs and some chips when I am afraid a wedge will get caught in the rough around green. Love the club even though I carry a 52, 54 and 58 vokey wedges as well

Right, I've decided to get a niblick after yesterday's round. I feel my chipping is the weakest part of my game and am hoping a niblick will help this. I am ok at pitching with my LW but whenever I want to chip and run it, never get it close - always short.
What I am undecided on though is what degree I should get? Any advice would be appreciated...

42 is a good one to start with, very flexible club. You can drop it a foot from the hole at 100 yards and do really nice bump and runs from the fringe. But I warn you, once you get one- you will want them all!

42 is the one I was considering so thanks, you have made up my mind :)

Niblick on order

Niblick on order

Just joined the forum to say thanks v. much to the THP staff for the thorough review of the niblicks and everyone else for this very informative thread; thanks mostly to both of those I have a 56 degree niblick on order now. I'm planning to play with CG12 50 and 54 degree wedges and the 56 degree niblick to complement my Adams A7 irons (which top out at the 45 degree PW) - I think the gapping ought to work out pretty good. Can't wait to get the niblick and see how it works out! Thanks again, all, this seems like a great forum from this thread.

(my proposed response to anyone who poo-poos using the niblick: 'why aren't you putting with a 1-iron, then?')

Last edited:
Last week swapped out my 56* iWedge and 60* 588RS for a 56* Niblick and 60* iWedge that were "on the bench." The 56* Niblick is great from around the green to all the way out to 3/4 swings. So far, I'm really enjoying it, and have been pulling it out for shots a lot more than I expected. I have also learned to use it from non-fluffy sand, but still prefer the more traditional iWedge at the local muni that I most often frequent, which has realy fluffy sand that just seems to grab the Niblick.

(my proposed response to anyone who poo-poos using the niblick: 'why aren't you putting with a 1-iron, then?')

You can also ask which 'rutting iron' they use and how the leather wrapped golf balls are working out for them.

my experiment

my experiment

Well my experiment has come to an end with the 56 Niblick. Once I get 25 posts I'll put it up on For Sale page.

this is what I wrote on another page a little earlier:

I'll add my thoughts as a high handicapper (29). I jumped on the niblick (56) bandwagon hard this summer and enjoyed the club a lot. So much so that I bought one for my wife, an über-high handicapper.

Then I began to notice that I was limited in options by the club's setup. The putter style build really kept me from getting comfy at full swings, nor could I get the benefits of easily closing or opening the clubhead for options. Probably could with practice of course. The final straw was that 56 was not enough for my local course's small greens. I kept running off of them. So I dug out my old 56 and 60 degree wedges and immediately enjoyed chipping and doing short pitches with them, especially the latter. So many options, it felt like.

So I guess I'm saying the 56 niblick is quite good at the chipping and you can make it more versatile with practice, especially, I bet, the lower lofted clubs that can replace irons. For chipping around small greens, though, it didn't cut it for me.

I have a really good short game except for out of the bunkers. For me the 56* Niblick is my go to club for that shot. It gets the ball out of the bunker EVERY time, even if it doesnt look pretty. If I knew for sure that a wedge would get it out then the Niblick would probably go to the bench for a while. I still think its a great club that can help lots of people though.

Niblick - what loft should I buy my wife?

Niblick - what loft should I buy my wife?

While at the golf shop today she was fascinated by the ladies niblick when I showed it to her. The one she fiddled with was a 42* but i'm wondering if you only had 1 in your bag which would it be?

She carries a 56* sand wedge and plays most "around the green" shots with this club right now.

TIA

I merged this with the Niblick thread as your info might be in here.

While at the golf shop today she was fascinated by the ladies niblick when I showed it to her. The one she fiddled with was a 42* but i'm wondering if you only had 1 in your bag which would it be?

She carries a 56* sand wedge and plays most "around the green" shots with this club right now.

TIA

If I could only have one, the 42* would be the choice. It gets the most play from the ones I have. My ranking (according to how much I use them) would be 42*, then 37*, then 49* then 56*.

first experiences

first experiences

so, my 56 arrived in the mail yesterday and I took it to the range. Had rather the opposite experience to what I expected. I found that immediately I could hit it fine with a full swing, shorter 'traditional swings', and a big putter swing off the range; I was comfortable right away hitting at the flags between 30 and 70 yards, which was nice.

Taking it to the chipping green, though, I found it really tricky to figure out; the most reliable way to use it does seem to be a (quite aggressive) putting stroke, but that pops it up very high in the air with some roll - I can't just fire it right at where I want it to go and make it stop - but not very much, so I found I had to try and judge a chip to fly it 3/4 of the way to the hole and then roll out the last bit, which seemed pretty tough, especially playing out of rough when you're not quite sure how it's going to pop out.

I was kind of expecting it to be easy to use right away for chipping but take some practice for full shots and pitches, but it seems to be the other way around, so far. Still, I think it'll definitely come in handy in the 20-70 yard range, and maybe I'll get better at chipping with it later, or just stick to traditional chipping with 8-PW for the close in stuff.

Going out for a round at a pretty tricky course this afternoon, so I'll see how that goes...

(edit: I find it interesting how many people who list pretty high handicaps are worried about not being able to open and close the face with the niblicks. Really? I find it hard enough to get a clean hit every time *without* messing around with the face angle, if I try to get tricky with closed or open faces I just hit it straight right or left every time...so even with clubs where you can open or close the face, I found it's a really bad idea to try, for me anyway.)

Adam- when chipping around the greens I found that a slower take-away and a short, aggressive putting motion pops it up just enough with good spin. Also, try 'putting the lower half of the ball and the loft and grooves will do the work for you.

Thanks, uh, thanks. :)

Well, had a nice round today (105 on a really nasty course) and found myself using the niblick, quite successfully, on nearly every hole, so I'm pretty happy with it. Somehow found it good for chipping today as well - not sure what changed from yesterday, but I felt pretty confident and got it quite close. So I'm happy with it so far! Thanks again everyone for all the info.

In terms of chipping aroud the green, keep in mind the 37* Niblick is about a 7-1/2 iron, while the 42* Niblick is almost but not quite a 9-iron. (Conclusions based on loft comparisons with my Mizuno MP-32 iron set).

The 37* Niblick 9-iron, and 42* Niblick 10-iron designations are just there to help you determine the equivalent distance you can expect on FULL swings from the Fairway and to suggest which clubs in your bag these Niblicks might replace.

:cool:

Back