The iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im really wanting to try Golf Scape... it's for the 3gs too! Anyway, check out Apple's solution to the antenna issue

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/apple-to-give-away-free-bumpers-to-iphone-4-users/2#comments

I'm not a hater because I love my 3GS but really Apple??? Curious that its only to people who buy before Sept 30th. Which logic tells me that they are working on fixing it and production release is then. So why not just admit a mistake? They basically are by giving the Sept 30th date. Just bugs.

I think so! That's why Im curious. I was thinking golfscape was more rangefinder which is what I would like more than GPS. But I can't say for certain. I should just spend the $30. lol
Yoc-isnt golfscape and golfshot gps basically the same thing?

what do you mean more rangefinder? i thought they where both standard gps just open the app and it gives you distances to what you need for every shot. hell idk lol
ya pay 30 bucks and give us the run down on both haha

Yes I do. Awesome. I've tried EA Tee Shot Live and ViewTI and this one takes the cake. You can do scoring, GPS is as accurate as you can get for a GPS app (more accurate than the others i've used), it can track distance (but it doesn't store it). It does keep all your other stats though (GIR, Fairways hit, putts, etc). A couple of minor negatives, it isn't as fast locking on GPS as a standalone GPS (normal for all IPhone GPS apps), doesn't keep driving distance numbers for stats (could be upgraded in a later update), no integration with unofficial handicap trackers like oob golf (could also be upgraded in a later update), and the battery is drained faster than other apps (even after all the battery saving tricks). UI is super easy, no yearly subscription fees, lots of courses available, and statistics are easy to follow and visually attractive. Once you set it up right, it even gives you distances to multiple layup points you designate. A+ app for me.

I've tried 2 GPS apps for my Iphone. (JUST UPGRADED TO IPHONE 4 NO RECEPTION PROBLEMS BY THE WAY) and between me and my buddies we've tried 5. The delay the phone has in locking in distances is not an APP problem. Its a phone problem. All of the apps (tested with a laser range finder) were accurate within 2-4 yards and all displayed the long wait to "lock in" its location. Big help I found was not letting the phone go to screen saver mode. This seemed to shorten the time it took for the phone to find itself. (My favorite app MycaddiePro will say +999 yards when you take it off the screen saver!) I find it takes about 15-30 seconds for the Iphone to figure out where it is when you take it off screen saver. that doesn't sound like a long time but next time you're on the course wait till its your turn to hit then stop and count to 30, see if that doesn't piss off your friends.

Last edited:
Lol. Yeah I guess that sounds kinda dumb now that Im lookin at it. Halfway hoping to point my camera phone at a tree and it tell me how far away it was. I liked the layout of Golfscape. So there. HAHAHA.
what do you mean more rangefinder? i thought they where both standard gps just open the app and it gives you distances to what you need for every shot. hell idk lol
ya pay 30 bucks and give us the run down on both haha

lol well i said screw all this gps stuff and loading courses and battery life and all that so im buying a rangefinder hahaha i might spend 20 bucks just to have a gps to since its pretty cheap but i probably wont use it that much just something to track driving distances and putts per round since the rangefinder cant.

You can get some slick scorecard apps for free too. I usually use them for about 5 holes. lol.

Second time I used GolfShot today and I might have found a way around the battery issue. I turned WiFi locator and notifications off and whenever I didn't need it I put it on power save (button on lower left of the yardage screen) and I tapped the shoulder power button. After 18 today I had 25% left which was a marked improvement over the 8% I had last time out. I'll be happy with that. GolfShot is still awesome and a great tool. No need for any other tool for the forseeable future.

I usually end up with anywhere from 40-60% left after a full 18 with Golfshot. That was on my 3GS, haven't used it yet on my i4.

I turned brightness WAAAY down.
Turned off WiFi.
Turned off Bluetooth if it was on.

Looking forward to trying Golfscape. I have Golfshot at the mo and it's handy for courses I'm not used to but on my home course I use it mainly after the round to enter my scores.

It then tells me that I miss every fairway left and take too many putts..........

Golfscape installed, and will give it a look in action tomorrow.

Golfscape installed, and will give it a look in action tomorrow.

Please give us a full write up on this Lynford. We need the real golf scoop on this intriguing app from a golfers point of view. Thanks in advance.

Just installed golfscape... None of the courses I play are pre loaded...

Just installed golfscape... None of the courses I play are pre loaded...

What courses are mapped?

We have over 35,000 courses mapped worldwide. You can search and view courses at golfshot.com/golfcourses. You can also request new courses for free from the same page.

Please give us a full write up on this Lynford. We need the real golf scoop on this intriguing app from a golfers point of view. Thanks in advance.

Will do my best Spank, although I'm not much of a scribe. I don't tend to rely on my current Golfshot at the mo as it's my home course and I pretty much know which bat to pull from most places on the course (believe me, I've been just about everywhere around the place !)
Off out in an hour...........will probably post a new thread if that's ok as it won't really be Random / Offtopic.

Anyone try Accelgolf Pro? Its on sale for 4.99 I think and is usually 19.99. Looks pretty nice and has some nice features. Thing that caught my eye was the scorecard stuff and it keeps all your stats on the server. Gives you a GHIN too.

Anyone try Accelgolf Pro? Its on sale for 4.99 I think and is usually 19.99. Looks pretty nice and has some nice features. Thing that caught my eye was the scorecard stuff and it keeps all your stats on the server. Gives you a GHIN too.

Is it official GHIN or estimated? I saw that too and it looks polished. Only problem is future support. GolfShot has been around for a while now an it seems Apple is pushing their tech. $5 is hard to resist though.

Is it official GHIN or estimated? I saw that too and it looks polished. Only problem is future support. GolfShot has been around for a while now an it seems Apple is pushing their tech. $5 is hard to resist though.

I picked it up at that price, but haven't tried it out yet, seems pretty nice though.

Just got iSwing on my phone, and it's pretty sweet. Anyone else have it? Or something like it?

Just got iSwing on my phone, and it's pretty sweet. Anyone else have it? Or something like it?

I don't have it or another like it, but have been close to purchasing something like this, what has your experience been like with iSwing?

just saw one comment on GolfCard Pro, but I basically skimmed. I liked the older version when it synced with oobgolf but haven't had a chance to try it on the course since it changed to ushandicap.com. I've uploaded my course markers, 1 course said it uploaded successfully, but GolfCardMgr, (GCM), says there are no markers for the course when I try downloading them with it. The idea of the traced images seems to be a nice feature and tracing a course wasn't bad with the GCM app and just setting the markers is even simpler. Seems to be a lot of negative reviewers in iTunes with the new version, which is understandable, but is that because change is not liked or because of lost comfort? Appears the new site also has the capability to keep an official handicap up to date, although as a paid 'feature', but don't you have to pay a fee, somewhere and/or to some body/course, to keep an official handicap anyway? (need some education on the official handicap).

I don't have it or another like it, but have been close to purchasing something like this, what has your experience been like with iSwing?

It's been okay. It's not true frame by frame, or maybe it's my swing speed, but the playback skips over a lot when my swing speed increases, etc. Other than that, it's helped me out a lot already on my backswing, and i have yet to get a frontal view of myself so i can see how it shows what im doing wrong body wise.

I picked it up at that price, but haven't tried it out yet, seems pretty nice though.

So Sunday I had this program fired up for my round. It does A LOT of stuff. So much that I found myself standing over my ball trying to figure out what the hell to do with this app so I gave up and just kept score on my card. Seems as though you can track distances with every club you hit but you have to input a lot of info while your playing. I find this to be too distracting though. Maybe if I get used to it. Seems like a nice app though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back