I Started Playing Golf Because _____

The company I work for has a lot of people that golf and do a lot of golf outings. I got serious about it when at every golf tourney my CEO would harass me about how much I sucked. Well 5+ years later I no longer "suck" and probably could beat my boss without thinking twice.

About 50 years ago my Dad said, "Get your a$$ out of bed, we are golfing today!" He took me to Forest Park golf course in Queens NY. Some classic comments from Dad that day include: Beer is a requirement for good golf and We all suck when we start playing golf, but son, you really suck!

About 50 years ago my Dad said, "Get your a$$ out of bed, we are golfing today!" He took me to Forest Park golf course in Queens NY. Some classic comments from Dad that day include: Beer is a requirement for good golf and We all suck when we start playing golf, but son, you really suck!

"Does that mean I can have a beer then Dad?"

My friends invited me one day. We got good and drunk, and had fun. I figured it was a portent of fun to come. I was wrong.

My dad used to let us chip the balls around the yard with his PW. That's what got me started.

I started playing because my best friend asked me to. In The Netherlands you need a licence to play golf. He asked me to do it together, as it made him feel more comfortable to go and do it. We both got our licences. I was hooked. He quit a few months after. That was 7 years ago.

Started playing when I was 9 and played easy courses with my dad. Eventually got a job working on the greens crew at a course near our house when I was 15. Worked my way through summers in high school and college and eventually got down to a +2. Never played for my high school team as it was the same time as baseball and that was my first love. Once I got to college, I played football and baseball until I got into a serious car accident where I partially dislocated my right hip. Dr. told me to not expect to play football or to catch for baseball anymore. Told me eventually I would walk without pain but absolutely no contact sports anymore. I asked if golf was OK and they said once I am up to it, the walking will help with the rehab.,

Fast forward 6 months, I walked on to my college golf team and made the team.

After college, the hip felt good enough where I took up softball (never listen to doctors...lol) Eventually, quit playing because of too many other non-hip injuries. And started golfing again.

My dinner boys out friends dragged me into this sport two years ago.

I started playing about 20 years ago because my Aunts and Uncle's played and I wanted to hang out with them. They played almost weekly on Saturday mornings.

I'm still waiting for a round with my dad. Not so sure it'll ever happen though.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

High blood pressure and diabetes runs in both sides of the family, my father and grandfather had diabetes. Eventually I realized I needed a weekly sport to keep me healthy, and golf was there. I've never looked back since.

I was on tour during my rock band days and was bored as hell on the days off... so I took up golf.

...my mom told me to

my grandfather loves golf, and at the time my stepfather liked it as well. so my mom thought it would be a good summer activity for me to take up and possibly bond with them. it was the summer before my senior year of high school. my stepfather gave the game up pretty quickly, but my grandfather and i played together quite a bit. looking back, i'm not sure how much i got out of our time together. my grandfather is a quiet man, and he didn't really talk much on the course. but i guess it was good for us to be in the same physical place together, doing something we both loved.

My dad took me out when I was 12 and I was hooked after puring a couple shots. By the time I was 14 I was playing 4+ days a week during the summer. My dad set up 3 holes with bicycle flags in our yard all about 20 -25 yards apart and I remember fondly hundreds of sessions trying to beat him in our evening pitching contests while he carried a beer around from flag to flag. Maybe that why I like golf and beer so much!!

I started playing golf because my dad played. I hated going to the course and riding around. I was bored to tears and would have rathered played soccer or hoops. Finally I asked for a set of irons and spent the summer playing the executive course at our club. I was hitting 5 woods into par three and making 10s on par fours. But the first week I had a birdie and a par. I thought I could replicate it with easy and taught myself that summer what I need to do to score. It was one of the greatest summer of my childhood. It built a bond with my dad that will never be broken. We always have common ground on the course.

I was a college a tennis player, playing in men's league after taking like 10 years away from the game. In the league i was losing to people i should have been beating in my sleep. It all came to head one night, where i did my best Johnny Mac impersonation. I left the court so mad after getting a great workout on gorgeous summer night. The game wasn't fun anymore. So i looked at my wife and told her i am going to take up golf seriously. I had a set of clubs in the closet and knowing I was going to suck it made it really enjoyable at beginning. I have fallen in love with the game and I am obsessed with it. This all happened 5 years ago.

I started playing because a friend who needed a partner badly asked me to try, and we're both grateful he did, we play almost every weekend and then some.

I became obsessed for a number of reasons, but a big one is it's competition against the course, and myself, not the other guy or team.

6th grade gym class. We hit balls in an empty field behind the school and fell in love with it.

My father in law plays a lot of golf and since living with/near them the last 4 years I have been able to grow about as addicted to the game as he is. Wish I would have started playing younger but definitely look forward to playing this game for the rest of my life.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Company golf outing. I had turned down playing in those outings at multiple companies throughout the years only to finally accept this year. Golf bug seems to have bit me pretty good though as I'm desperately trying to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started golfing as a kid merely to go with my dad. I stopped after I graduated from school. Took it up again last June after a decade long break when a buddy asked me to go with him. I forgot how much I missed the game and it's been the source of my empty wallet ever since.

I started playing golf because the course is one of the few places where drinking beer at 9 am is somewhat acceptable.

I started taking it seriously a few years later when my physical therapist suggested it as a way to strengthen a reconstructed ankle.

My dad put a club in my hand when I was 3yrs old. My dad & my grandpa (my dads dad) are the ones responsible for my golf addiction.

College friends asked me to drive the cart with a full cooler strapped to the back.

Ah the good old days when you could bring a 20 gallon Igloo cooler full of cheap beer to the course & nobody said a word.

I started to play golf because both my parents played, and I wanted a sport that i could compete with them in. Really wanted to learn about it when I saw Phil Mickelson hit a flop shot from the fringe when I was about 8 and said, "I want to learn to hit that." So I went and learned to hit a flop shot. Stopped playing until about 2 and a half years ago, when college baseball started and I needed a destresser. Now that I got cut from the baseball team, I play for the club golf team. Funny how life works sometimes.

My junior high (what they used to call middle school for all you young dudes) baseball team and coach sucked so I went out for, and made, the junior high golf team.

Back