2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im almost 6 3 and fit that category haha. We'll see how 3/4 feels but im the most excited about just having a nice rock solid foundation
I hear ya, rock solid foundation is a must

Blu how do you feel about wide grip lat pull downs? I dont want them to replace anything but thought maybe id rotate them in to keep it fresh certain weeks
Good for aesthetics. Won't get you stronger than a standard pull up. Isn't as good as a chin up.

Im almost 6 3 and fit that category haha. We'll see how 3/4 feels but im the most excited about just having a nice rock solid foundation
Here's some more advice. Don't think about it. Just squat

Good for aesthetics. Won't get you stronger than a standard pull up. Isn't as good as a chin up.
K, getting stronger is definitely my number one because I feel like aesthetics will come with that right? Maybe ill just do chin ups or pulls instead.
Here's some more advice. Don't think about it. Just squat
Love when it's short and sweet haha will do!

I did some barbell bench and incline bench today also some shrugs. Hotel gym but better than many. Finished up with 30 minutes on the treadmill and an ab workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some barbell bench and incline bench today also some shrugs. Hotel gym but better than many. Finished up with 30 minutes on the treadmill and an ab workout.

Remember our conversation about squat variations? Same applies to vertical pulls. If you can do a chin or pull-up, do those.
K, getting stronger is definitely my number one because I feel like aesthetics will come with that right? Maybe ill just do chin ups or pulls instead.

Love when it's short and sweet haha will do!
That's a really nice hotel gym. Jeebus.

Man, it is not easy for a fat guy to order running gear hahahaha

Remember our conversation about squat variations? Same applies to vertical pulls. If you can do a chin or pull-up, do those.

Brand new Hampton inn. Dumb bells up to 80 pounds two benches 4 treadmills a couple machines. Very impressed

I'm going to the gym in about and hour. Anything you guys want me to discuss.

I'm going to the gym in about and hour. Anything you guys want me to discuss.
K ill try those.

Nope no questions for me sir, you kicked ass last week. Thank you tho!

No gym today but spent better part of 7 hours helping my BIL move most of their stuff into a storage unit

I'm doing bent over barbell rows for the first time in well over a year. It feels weird.

I love bent over rows. They really force me to keep my back tight and pull down and back (similar motion to taking the slack out of my deadlift).

I'm doing bent over barbell rows for the first time in well over a year. It feels weird.

I love bent over rows. They really force me to keep my back tight and pull down and back (similar motion to taking the slack out of my deadlift).
I was able to blast out a set of five above my body weight. I was happy with that

I squated last night. Went real light and used more supportive equipment than I normally would. I am sore today in my calf. Not worried, but dayum

I squated last night. Went real light and used more supportive equipment than I normally would. I am sore today in my calf. Not worried, but dayum
Whats this supportive equipment you speak of? Like wraps or something?

Whats this supportive equipment you speak of? Like wraps or something?
I went with knee sleeves and then wraps over my sleeves.

I went with knee sleeves and then wraps over my sleeves.
How are the sleeves? I always wondered what's starting point for using them. From skiing and such over the years my knees aren't bad but they aren't exactly mint either lol I just had a thought like "should I be using them to avoid any trouble down the road?". I probably dont lift heavy enough to worry about that yet I guess. Hopefully lol my mom has had a ton of surgeries on one of her knees and I dont want that.

How are the sleeves? I always wondered what's starting point for using them. From skiing and such over the years my knees aren't bad but they aren't exactly mint either lol I just had a thought like "should I be using them to avoid any trouble down the road?". I probably dont lift heavy enough to worry about that yet I guess. Hopefully lol my mom has had a ton of surgeries on one of her knees and I dont want that.
Tough to say. I have no issues with people wearing sleeves as a little support. They don't aid in the lift. They merely help hold the knee in place. If nothing else, it's mental.

Tough to say. I have no issues with people wearing sleeves as a little support. They don't aid in the lift. They merely help hold the knee in place. If nothing else, it's mental.
I hear ya. I'm just all about avoiding injuries haha. For now ill just concentrate on my form, maybe look into them down the road.

I hear ya. I'm just all about avoiding injuries haha. For now ill just concentrate on my form, maybe look into them down the road.
The less than scientific answer is, if your knees start yelling, "I can't do this!" During a rep, get some sleeves.

Once again I find myself wanting to get back in to shape...I have no idea what that shape is, but I'm not happy and I feel a certain loss of energy. So...with all work and family going on, I need to take small steps to achieve something. The food is a major player in getting into shape, and right now my family is looking at me like some weirdo as I'm eating different food than they are, and the amount of protein I'm stuffing every day is rather ridiculous, but I've done the same routine before, and I know it works. I lost 15 - 17 pounds while mountaineering in Peru for a month, but got every pound back binge drinking and partying at the 5 day wrap party...go figure :D

Winter is the time for me to get back in the game, since summer is mainly golf and bbq.

Amen... I am back on a program as well. I play a lot of golf and just have no interest in working out. During golf season. II walk 70% of my rounds so that helps a little.. I am going to break the cycle of on and off winter/summer and get consistent through the year..

The less than scientific answer is, if your knees start yelling, "I can't do this!" During a rep, get some sleeves.
If they yell, I'll definitely listen haha

Today was the first workout with my fitness instructor and it was eye opening. Went in thinking I was in decent shape and fairly flexible. I left realizing how horribly wrong I was..and how this is going to be best thing for me.

Started with a warm up on the eliptical.

Then we moved to agility training focusing on really opening up the body and then working on an agility ladder.

That was the first time with an agility ladder for me, so the movements were slightly awkward for me. Ironically the last drill was called the Icky Woods shuffle, was the toughest of the drills and I nailed it. Apparently Icky and I have that in common.

We then moved to core training, working on the anterior and posterior movements of my core in a series of exercises.

We then moved to working on the glutes and yes - activating them with with an exercise he dubbed "Deer in the headlights"exercise. I found out today the importance of activating and strengthening my glutes to take stress off the lower back. I got the hang of the exercise after a little bit

We then moved to the "greatest stretch" exercise. In this exercise, I was on all six points (hands, knees toes), would bring one elbow to the opposite knee, then twisting to each side bring my hand up, trying to point to the ceiling. We did a 2nd series utilizing band resistance to help me really open up on the stretch. My left side was severely limited in range.

We then did squats/stretch using a exercise ball.

The last exercise was keeping the arms at shoulder height, bent at 90 degrees, alternated between having one bent up and the other parallel with my shoulders. I had to hold weight balls in my hands while doing it - 5 ounces, 8 ounces, 1 lb and 2 lb. Each set was a full minute non-stop and I found my shoulders are weak - a result of being over protective of a long term shoulder injury.

It was tough, the workouts are going to get tougher and I LOVED it.

af20f584934156c02a37a43fc7631a6b.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back