Cool Short Game Tip

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
Like probably the rest of us, I'm usually jaded when it comes to swing tips, but this one was like a flash in the dark.

I was struggling with my pitches and chips, sometimes they'd be great and sometimes they'd be chunks and shanks. On the range, I noticed that after practicing my irons I would shank my first pitch. I couldn't quite place my finger on what I was doing wrong.

Perhaps like some of us, I had the notion that a chip was just a shorter version of a full swing. Well, it looks like I was wrong. I found it so cool I wanted to share it with everyone.

Check this out:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/michael-breed-one-move-to-better-golf

Hey - that picture is #17 - par 3 @ Ferry Point.

Like probably the rest of us, I'm usually jaded when it comes to swing tips, but this one was like a flash in the dark.

I was struggling with my pitches and chips, sometimes they'd be great and sometimes they'd be chunks and shanks. On the range, I noticed that after practicing my irons I would shank my first pitch. I couldn't quite place my finger on what I was doing wrong.

Perhaps like some of us, I had the notion that a chip was just a shorter version of a full swing. Well, it looks like I was wrong. I found it so cool I wanted to share it with everyone.

Check this out:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/michael-breed-one-move-to-better-golf

You're jaded when I comes to swing tips but posted in the swing tips thread. Where there are 1000s of swing tips.

You're jaded when I comes to swing tips but posted in the swing tips thread. Where there are 1000s of swing tips.

By jaded I mean I don't and can't take every tip I see in magazines and everywhere else seriously unless it has a good chance of helping me.

I really struggle with these short chips. I've watched the tour guys play this shot exactly as is recommended in the link you posted, with what appears a slightly open club face? and swinging across the line and more towards the left hip. For me this invariably results in catching the ball towards the toe and always with the leading edge. Thoughts?

in a playing lesson, i was told to do the exact opposite. with pitches, finish with the arms and club more in front of me instead of pulling so hard to the left. golf is a funny game, one tip works really well for one person, and the exact opposite can be true and work for another person.

I've noticed this move over the years, but never heard it explained. I already adopt this to hit flop shots, but I look forward to trying it on chips and pitches too!

I really struggle with these short chips. I've watched the tour guys play this shot exactly as is recommended in the link you posted, with what appears a slightly open club face? and swinging across the line and more towards the left hip. For me this invariably results in catching the ball towards the toe and always with the leading edge. Thoughts?

Well, the thing that comes to mind, without seeing your swing, is simply are you using the right equipment? If you are on a firm, tight lie with a club that has a good amount of bounce, that can happen. As far as off the toe, maybe your stance is to open? I'm sure Freddie can fix you!

The course I generally play is coastal and wind swept. So cover is always thin and hard. I know I need to get more of my weight forward but I will try with a less open stance and see how that goes.,

That's a great tip.

On the backswing I really don't take it around. I take it in line with my target line. It's the downswing where I try to reach for my left pocket.

The course I generally play is coastal and wind swept. So cover is always thin and hard. I know I need to get more of my weight forward but I will try with a less open stance and see how that goes.,

Try these. Either use a wedge with less bounce, or use the wedge with the heel off the ground and the toe lower than the heel.

I wonder if it's the hip turn at the finish to face the target that makes it seem like the pro's are playing across the line when really they're not.

My wedges have a V sole so I have even less excuse for excess bounce if I keep my weight a little more forward. It just looks like the easiest shot of all to play and yet I amaze myself with how regularly I can get it so wrong.

I think people way over think the short game. Weight forward, hands forward, swing the arms and choke down. Do not open the face, do not swing left, do not turn your hips and do not flip your hands.

Find your bottom with a few crisp practice swings, place the club behind the ball and repeat. Using the proper club for the job is just as important as the technique. If you want a higher lofted chip, grab your sixty. For a lower chip, grab the PW or AW. Have a long, cross green chip then grab a 7 iron and keep the toe down.

I feel an open stance, hands forward, weight forward will always do the trick. If you get more advanced, start firing the right knee through as you chip.

I think people way over think the short game. Weight forward, hands forward, swing the arms and choke down. Do not open the face, do not swing left, do not turn your hips and do not flip your hands.

Find your bottom with a few crisp practice swings, place the club behind the ball and repeat. Using the proper club for the job is just as important as the technique. If you want a higher lofted chip, grab your sixty. For a lower chip, grab the PW or AW. Have a long, cross green chip then grab a 7 iron and keep the toe down.

I feel an open stance, hands forward, weight forward will always do the trick. If you get more advanced, start firing the right knee through as you chip.

Thank you for this post Freddie. I read it just before working on some chipping today at lunch. I focused on what you said, had a really good session. Keep it simple. I like it.

I am glad it worked out for you, no reason to over think the process.
Thank you for this post Freddie. I read it just before working on some chipping today at lunch. I focused on what you said, had a really good session. Keep it simple. I like it.

The bolded part is what most people miss.....most bad chips by amateurs are from either chunking or skulling....both can be solved by taking several brisk practice swings to get a better sense for the bottom of the swing.

The bolded part is what most people miss.....most bad chips by amateurs are from either chunking or skulling....both can be solved by taking several brisk practice swings to get a better sense for the bottom of the swing.

This is correct sir

Thank you for the tip Tadashi70. The part I bolded is what I need to sink into memory.

P.S I have read many of the swing tips and little pieces of advice you've given in other threads and this has helped my game a great deal so thanks you!

Thank you for the tip Tadashi70. The part I bolded is what I need to sink into memory.

P.S I have read many of the swing tips and little pieces of advice you've given in other threads and this has helped my game a great deal so thanks you!

That is why I here, I have a few more in the old mental Rolodex

You have a great outlook Tadashi70. Grateful here.

Don't forget to accelerate the club head. You have to keep the club head moving. Many a bad chip is the result of decelerating when coming into the ball

Back