OEM brand image-what say you?

Wow really surprised Adams keeps gettin the old guy moniker after the pro black stuff!

Titleist= arrogant, traditional, snotty.
Taylor Made=Hype, hype, hype, trendy, snake oil, Marketing MACHINE!
Cobra= we can help that slice. (all I can think of is the old days with all the offset drivers)
PING= they fit it, you hit it.
Adams=evolving, friendly, forgiving
Callaway= big drivers, and larger irons.
Mizuno=specialty
Nike= Marketing, sheep
Wilson= undervalued, undersold
Cleveland=affordable, solid, reliable
Bridgestone= golf balls.

I'll have a go -

Titleist - Quality but out of touch and in danger of losing it. A bully.
Ping - Putters, old clubs, no great innovation for years. Solid and a bit clunky.
Taylormade - Shiny. Adjustable. Woods. Too many lines.
Mizuno - Precision engineering with irons. Could be perceived as elitist at amateur level.
Callaway - 15 years ago.
Nike - All noise. Can't get a hold anywhere.
Cleveland - wedges, decent but unspectacular elsewhere
Bridgestone - Balls. Golf balls that is. Struggling to find direction with clubs.
Wilson - Tradition, solid choice for the amateur
Adams - Game improvement.

These are great.

Weezy109, I hear ya on Adams. I totally associated Adams with the Senior Tour until I went to their demo day and messed around with the Pro Black stuff and Speedline driver. They are making their move. I think they are evolving and this poll will have different responses in 2 years.

I am just as mystified when I hear the comments about Cobra and "old man" associations. Me and all my friends see them as the driver company of choice for power players, their style as contemporary (their pros are mostly stylish guys except JB) and them as being the wilder, younger brother of stodgy of Titleist up until their recent sale to Puma. Their L4V-X driver was the epitome of power golf. I do admit that why they changed directions with their irons after the Pro CB and Pro MB irons were such huge hits is beyond me. They were on the verge of being seen as a legitimate contender for the "player" market. This year they don't have anything like that. Just forging an iron doesn't cut it.

It is amazing how consistent the rest are viewed. I totally agree with what everyone else is saying on Ping, Titleist, TM, etc. Especially the comment about Ping being European, even though they are not. I have the same impression even though I know their history. I guess it is Westwood, Cabrera and Jimenez influencing me.

I think the brands that seem to have contradictory perceptions: Cobra, Adams and Nike; have this because they are still evolving and are caught between two worlds.

I predict Nike is about to make some major moves. Their entry into the premium market is going great and the VR line is showing up in lots of amateur tournaments I am at these days.

I am just as mystified when I hear the comments about Cobra and "old man" associations. Me and all my friends see them as the driver company of choice for power players, their style as contemporary (their pros are mostly stylish guys except JB) and them as being the wilder, younger brother of stodgy of Titleist up until their recent sale to Puma. Their L4V-X driver was the epitome of power golf. I do admit that why they changed directions with their irons after the Pro CB and Pro MB irons were such huge hits is beyond me. They were on the verge of being seen as a legitimate contender for the "player" market. This year they don't have anything like that. Just forging an iron doesn't cut it.

They only have a few guys in their stable and like JB Holmes, Jason Gore is not exactly stylish. Outside of that, you could call Poulter stylish and camilo, but he is leaving them. As for the reason they changed directions in irons, I do not know, but I can tell you that the Pro CB and MB lines were not huge hits at the register. Golf Datatech numbers showed very little in terms of success compared to other iron lines launched at the same time.

Some older folks I know love their Cobras. I was going off of personal experiences.

I'll have a go, but definitely noticed an anti-Titleist sentiment in this thread. And remember, this is my perception, which in no way may actually represent reality :act-up:

Titleist - Quality clubs for good players. Clean & Classic.
Ping - grooves the size of Texas... and on the other side, putter tech for the masses
Taylormade - Use our clubs to buy a game (the mad scientist reference was genious)
Mizuno - the class of forged irons, should stay away from GI
Callaway - Shovels on a stick
Cobra - once was lost but now am found
Nike - If you wanna be like Tiger, buy our clubs.
Cleveland - Wedges, Wedges, Wedges... (they make other stuff?)
Bridgestone - Struggling with identity, too many confusing model changes
Wilson - hanging on to a sinking ship... used to be the best
Adams - Senior's Circuit and LPGA players

They only have a few guys in their stable and like JB Holmes, Jason Gore is not exactly stylish. Outside of that, you could call Poulter stylish and camilo, but he is leaving them. As for the reason they changed directions in irons, I do not know, but I can tell you that the Pro CB and MB lines were not huge hits at the register. Golf Datatech numbers showed very little in terms of success compared to other iron lines launched at the same time.

I was referring to how they did in the two major golf magazines annual equipment review where they won their class in one (Clubtest 2009) and made the tope level (gold) in the other. Not that I place much stock in those reviews, but they do result in good press whihc typically moves the needle a little. I am not in golf retail and so I am clueless how they do in sales. I just go by what I hear and they did well in the above reviews and go lots of favorable press by users and reviewers on the internet.

I really see them as a driver company more than anything.

I was referring to how they did in the two major golf magazines annual equipment review where they won their class in one (Clubtest 2009) and made the tope level (gold) in the other. Not that I place much stock in those reviews, but they do result in good press whihc typically moves the needle a little. I am not in golf retail and so I am clueless how they do in sales. I just go by what I hear and they did well in the above reviews and go lots of favorable press by users and reviewers on the internet.

I really see them as a driver company more than anything.

I cant speak to Club Test, but Hot List is not a club testing review. It is actually exactly what it sounds which is "whats hot" hence the reason for part of the testing being Demand or Buzz. Not knocking their ideas or thoughts, but it is not really a club test. They have the ability to do these tests, and compare each club against each other, but they choose not to do that.

But you are exactly right, you would expect with the reach that it would move the needle quite a bit. Im sure it sold clubs now doubt. I know it did for the ZL, because sales doubled after the Hot List issue, but only for a short period of time. However since that time, the numbers show their brand and their clubs are very stagnent compared to others that came out at the same time. Not a knock on the equipment really, just sales in general. Mistaken identity is a tough thing and they have gone through that over the last 24 months, now that they are on their own, I expect that to change.

I have a question. A lot of people say

Cleveland Golf - Wedges, Common Man, etc...

What are your thoughts when you hear the company Srixon or Miyazaki?

Well I cant comment on Miyazaki, but when I think of Srixon I think of high tech.

Srixon - different, underated

Miyazaki - artistic, smoooth

I know they are all related, but they still have different identities to me.

Srixon - different, underated

Miyazaki - artistic, smoooth

I know they are all related, but they still have different identities to me.

The reason I ask is because they are all under one house. I think this goes to show just how big a role marketing plays.

The reason I ask is because they are all under one house. I think this goes to show just how big a role marketing plays.

You can just look at mizuno i think to see how much marketing helps. IMO they make the best irons and i like their hybrids and fairways. Their new driver is supposed to be very good too, yet you never hear about them and i'm sure their sales have suffered here in the U.S. because of it.

Yeah it really really does. I was going to say almost the same things as Hawk mentioned for brand associations. It's also an illustration of why sites like THP are so important. Consumers need an unbiased (not saying anything about a prior thread at all!!!) review that cuts through the mush. I'm not knocking marketing, in fact I went to school for it but I'm glad we have a place to go so we can get the real info.

that's interesting... I know about Srixon, and have even played a Z-Star for a few holes, but I've never really heard of Miyazaki outside of the forums.

Does that mean marketing fail... or my ignorance?

that's interesting... I know about Srixon, and have even played a Z-Star for a few holes, but I've never really heard of Miyazaki outside of the forums.

Does that mean marketing fail... or my ignorance?

Miyazaki has been out less than 12 months in North America and is a very high end shaft company. So that could be the reason.

I disagree. I think Bridgestone's identity is light years ahead of where it was 2-3 years ago. The overwhelming success of the ball fitting has changed the way people look at golf balls, etc. Yes there are many different lines which could be confusing but I don't see the difference between that and a co. with many different lines for putters
I'll have a go, but definitely noticed an anti-Titleist sentiment in this thread. And remember, this is my perception, which in no way may actually represent reality :act-up:

Titleist - Quality clubs for good players. Clean & Classic.
Ping - grooves the size of Texas... and on the other side, putter tech for the masses
Taylormade - Use our clubs to buy a game (the mad scientist reference was genious)
Mizuno - the class of forged irons, should stay away from GI
Callaway - Shovels on a stick
Cobra - once was lost but now am found
Nike - If you wanna be like Tiger, buy our clubs.
Cleveland - Wedges, Wedges, Wedges... (they make other stuff?)
Bridgestone - Struggling with identity, too many confusing model changes
Wilson - hanging on to a sinking ship... used to be the best
Adams - Senior's Circuit and LPGA players

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw posts about Bridgestone being associated mostly by their balls and "searching for an identity" as far as clubs go.

Maybe their clubs need to be sold under a different brand name to give people the impression of a 'new' company separate from their balls?

[EDIT] Just read another thread about Bridgestone using the name Tourstage on their Japanese products- maybe that name could work unless people might think of Tour Edge (is that company still around?)

Last edited:
PING= they fit it, you hit it.

That would be a great marketing slogan!

Could work also for Bridgestone to promote their fitting system as well.

Titleist - BMW 5 series. Not much style, but solid professional choice
Ping - Audi A4. A little out of the ordinary style, but solid professional choice.
Taylormade - Porsche. Style and performance- but everyone seems to have them so not as cool.
Mizuno - Lexus. High Quality. Good style.
Callaway - Ford Mustang.
Cobra - Corvette. Cool but one dimensional and not quite refined.
Nike - Alpha Romeo. Style and tech with flashes of brilliance
Cleveland - Honda. Something for everyone. Solid.
Bridgestone - Goodyear. They make clubs?
Wilson - General Motors. Lost. Boring.
Adams - Volvo. Safe.

Great list, TwoSolitudes...I was thinking of a way to work in car references, but you put together a list much better and faster than I could have.

Titleist - BMW 5 series. Not much style, but solid professional choice
Ping - Audi A4. A little out of the ordinary style, but solid professional choice.
Taylormade - Porsche. Style and performance- but everyone seems to have them so not as cool.
Mizuno - Lexus. High Quality. Good style.
Callaway - Ford Mustang.
Cobra - Corvette. Cool but one dimensional and not quite refined.
Nike - Alpha Romeo. Style and tech with flashes of brilliance
Cleveland - Honda. Something for everyone. Solid.
Bridgestone - Goodyear. They make clubs?
Wilson - General Motors. Lost. Boring.
Adams - Volvo. Safe.

Now that's a good list, seriously, thats awesome lol

Wilson wouldn't be lost if they didn't paint themselves in the corner of being hard to find in order to try, I just don't understand that. Kickass products, hardly any availability.

I agree with Two's list with car references, except for Nike. Nike- Mazda, looks good and flashy, but not very refined.

Back