WGC Events Harder Than Majors?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Most would argue that golf is a test against oneself and a test against the golf course, but in professional golf it has also become a test against the field as more tournaments offer deeper and deeper talent pools.

The WGC Bridgestone event going on right now has 49 of the top 50 players in the world (and would have had all 50 if Allenby hadnt gotten hurt). The courses that they are played on keep scores in check for the most part and seem to be a very tough test of golf.

Surely they lack the tradition of the major golf tournaments with the US Open and its ultimate test of golf, or the Open Championship with the weather and history. The Masters with its beauty and kicking off of the Spring season. But could one argue that the WGC events are harder tests of golf than that of the majors?

They certainly have tougher fields in most cases due to qualifying. However they also have smaller fields and no cuts. Sound off, what are your thoughts?

WGC events might be harder because Tiger wins them most of the time j/k

The field for WGC events are very very strong. Usually I would say them and the PGA Championship have the best fields in golf. Is it right to compare all WGC events vs the Masters? Not all are created equall.

Are they harder?? I would say no. I would say the challenge is equal. If all golfers out there want to be number 1 in the world, that goal would be the drive to constantly perform and therefore earn there spot in the WGC events. I definitely like the idea of the best players playing challenging courses with no cuts. There is still definitely the pressure to perform, but how would that be different than any other week?

• Admin
Are they harder?? I would say no. I would say the challenge is equal. If all golfers out there want to be number 1 in the world, that goal would be the drive to constantly perform and therefore earn there spot in the WGC events. I definitely like the idea of the best players playing challenging courses with no cuts. There is still definitely the pressure to perform, but how would that be different than any other week?

The field is what makes it different in my opinion.

True enough, the field is definitely awesome. But is it harder than a major? I don't think so. Majors would be harder because you have the cut to contend with. Don't play good round you're out. This is a different animal for sure, but I think majors are still more prestigous IMO.

• Admin
I agree, definitely more prestigious. I do wonder about what is harder though.

I think that the harder part of the WGC is that they are going against the other best players in the world. At a regular event, you have some great players with a lot of medium players. Sometimes the medium players get lucky. But here, more like a major, you have all of the top players hopefully playing at the top of their game.

Back