Have You Ever Just Chucked It All and Bought Everything New?

Chorister

Reaction score
Hi everybody, second-time poster here, hoping I'm not alone in my equipment madness...

Until I played 18 a couple of weeks ago with my brother I had been playing my Cobra S9-1 Offset driver and 3-wood, Baffler TWS 3 & 4, and Cobra SZ 5-GW irons, with Vokey 56-14 and 60-4 since I returned to the game last October after a 10-year layoff. That is, until we got to the 3rd tee, where I borrowed his couple-years-old TM Tour Burner driver, and BOOM! Now, the Cobra had been okay, nothing special, but good enough for my crummy game until that moment. I kept using that Burner driver the rest of the round, and my brother actually gave it to me to keep, saying the shaft was too stiff for him. I've been killing it (for me) ever since. It is the most solid driver I've ever hit. The shaft really is too stiff for me also, though. But it has such a great feel.

Hmm, thinks I (Danger, Will Robinson!!), if TM makes such solid equipment, what else might they have that I'd like? So I head to a local purveyor of shiny crowbars and demo some TM woods and irons. The result is, I just received my TM R9 460 10.5*, Burner high launch 3&5 woods and Burner 3&4 high launch Rescues -- all R flex. The R9 irons should get here next week. I am seriously geeked and can't wait to get out there with the new toys after work today! I also went a little crazy and added a TP xFT wedge, 56-12 (w/free extra face plate). I, um, had picked up a Rossa Daytona 6 last week. And *cough* a Sun Mountain C-130 bag, too. Well, I can't be expected to put new TM clubs into a Cobra bag that's almost a year old, can I? I kept the Vokey 60* in the bag though. So I've got that going for me.

I've never done anything remotely like this before, but it feels GOOD! Anybody else?

I did almost exactly the same thing a couple of weeks back.

Started playing again this year with a crappy off-the-shelf set of Wilson clubs.

Tried out a Benross VX Proto Fairway 3W at a demo day and, as you say, BOOM!! (or more like PING! in this case) I was hitting it so much further than my existing 3 wood.

The next week I went and got custom fit for new irons and hybrids - ended up with Adams A7. Then when I picked them up I got a new Hotblade putter an Adams deluxe stand bag, an Adams towel and umbrella and 24 Bridgestone treosoft balls.

Onto the internet and I bought a 56* and 60* Benross Zip It wedges off ebay (they're superb btw, don't know if you can get them in the U.S) a Cleveland Niblick 49* and a Cobra S9-1 M driver.

The only thing I'm not super happy with is the driver, might have to go and hit a few down my local golf store and see if I can get part-ex on the Cobra.

Yep, buying stuff sure is fun :)

Thats great! Glad to see you got the "ITCH"

Believe me I've been tempted to just get ALL new stuff...but I'm slowly working on it :)

That sounds fun. You picked some great equipment.

Those R9 irons are sweet. Back in the day I had Hogan Apex IIs, then MacGregor JNPs, and the R9s are the nicest things I've swung since then. Now I'll have to get to some serious practicing, so I can play like I deserve 'em!

I did the same thing earlier this year, my set went from:

Ping G10 10.5
Ping G10 3 Wood
Taylormade T2 Rescue
Callaway X Prototype 3-PW
Nickent Arc Wedges

Now my set looks like this:

Taylormade R9 460 9.5
Nike Dymo 3 Wood (which I'm changing again)
Taylormade 2009 Rescue 19*
Taylormade 2009 Tour Preferred 4-PW
Ping Tour-W wedges

And I couldn't be happier, at least until I find a suitable 3 wood. Sometimes you really just need a change.

I did the same thing earlier this year, my set went from:

Ping G10 10.5
Ping G10 3 Wood
Taylormade T2 Rescue
Callaway X Prototype 3-PW
Nickent Arc Wedges

Now my set looks like this:

Taylormade R9 460 9.5
Nike Dymo 3 Wood (which I'm changing again)
Taylormade 2009 Rescue 19*
Taylormade 2009 Tour Preferred 4-PW
Ping Tour-W wedges

And I couldn't be happier, at least until I find a suitable 3 wood. Sometimes you really just need a change.

Hey, great clubs you had/have! I'd forgotten what an equipment (oops, I apparently used a bad word that got changed to ***s) I am...
Now that I have no second income from a spouse I might have to establish a kitty to finance my sick obsession.

Hey, great clubs you had/have! I'd forgotten what an equipment (oops, I apparently used a bad word that got changed to ***s) I am...
Now that I have no second income from a spouse I might have to establish a kitty to finance my sick obsession.

I did this at the beginning of the season. 3 visits to golf headquarters, during the same weekend.
Visit 1: Mizuno Mx-200 irons, Mizuno bag
Visit 2: TaylorMade Supertri, Taylormade Rescue
Visit 3: Taylormade Burner Superfast.

Plus I have went through 4 putters this season.

I know the feeling. Since I got back into golf last year after playing once a year for 4 yrs Ive bought and sold some of the following. 3 drivers, 2 sets of irons,6 hybrids,3 wedges and 2 putters! Almost forgot 2 fairway woods as well. I think Ive finally figured my bag out.....maybe

Funny, I just posted in another thread how I just got back from one of my worst rounds ever and I was thinking as I was driving home this very same thing. I am not going to do this today but I am going to spend alot of time from now till the outing in Florida checking out different clubs then once there seeing what else is available and after, well who knows what I am going to do!!

I had the R9 460 and the Burner fairways and hybrids and the xFT wedge out for their maiden voyage this morning and am really pleased with them all so far, but one of the other guys had a new Burner Superfast, and I swear I salivated.

Back