Shame on all retailers open on thanksgiving

As I said before I don't care that they are open what I find crazy is that some stores open at midnight and there is a huge line up from the consumer waiting to get in. It's the same way up here with Boxing Day just nuts.

I went in to work this morning and will have to go back later today and there are plenty of others. If its a shame all the retail people have to go in, might as well stop the Thanksgiving football games. All the poor stadium workers and everyone else involved has to work. Plus hourly holiday pay is nice.
Gotta love that double standard while we gorge on turkey and watch football or the parade. I've got three meals to attend while in the wife's family circuit. Good thing gas stations are open.

....and the liquor store. The captain makes it all soooo much better.

Gotta love that double standard while we gorge on turkey and watch football or the parade. I've got three meals to attend while in the wife's family circuit. Good thing gas stations are open.

....and the liquor store. The captain makes it all soooo much better.

Just drive safe dude.

I will actually be working both Christmas Eve and Christmas for the money. Double time makes it worth it. As a consumer I enjoy it as well, just something exciting

I will actually be working both Christmas Eve and Christmas for the money. Double time makes it worth it. As a consumer I enjoy it as well, just something exciting
Double time! That's awesome!

I worked on thanksgiving and even labour day. Yes I admit it stinks partly for the employees but double time pay makes it worth while

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I don't care one bit. It's a classic case of supply and demand.

I'd like to know more about this walnut pie.
b7bbaa799c223e460c5733b05a4efbe2.jpg

I supply heating oil and gasoline for the North east for Shell oil. We run the tug and barge 24/7/365. Everyone is always belly aching about working the holidays. It's just another day for us, so you guys can drive to grandma's house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thanksgiving should never be on Thursday .

Eating and drinking this much then having to work the next day is stupid .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry you have to work bro, I hope you had a good turkey day!

I supply heating oil and gasoline for the North east for Shell oil. We run the tug and barge 24/7/365. Everyone is always belly aching about working the holidays. It's just another day for us, so you guys can drive to grandma's house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Keep up the good work. I owe you a beer if we ever meet up

The Golfsmith by me is open tonight from 7-midnight. I'm assuming it's a test but I plan on stopping in to see if they are doing any deals.

The Golfsmith by me is open tonight from 7-midnight. I'm assuming it's a test but I plan on stopping in to see if they are doing any deals.
If they have apex hybrid on sale grab me one :D

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

You nailed it. It is all marketing and hype. The old carrot and stick.

I'm going to disagree that it's the consumer. There is SO much hype about Black Friday and the sales (even though, truthfully, the deals aren't that great) it's disgusting. Sorry, but if all the stores were closed, nobody would be shopping. Chicken or the egg?

Wow ...

well some of the jobs listed above get paid way way more than retail jobs. And I asked one of the employees at Walmart the other day . They don't get holiday pay for working this, they are livid about working on thanksgiving.

Way Way more? $33,000 to start as an officer is a lot? I made that in retail and guess what, I wasn't getting shot at or saving peoples lives. But to each there own.

Also another growing problem, if you do not want to work during the holidays, find another job! There is multitudes of people that will glad fully take that job. Same people that want $15hr to flip burgers, if you do not make enough try and better you employment. You have to have a skill!

I remember as a kid in the 60's nothing was open on holidays and Sundays. Just part of life and the dumbing down of society. Sucks for sure for those "forced" to work. Hope at least many of them got holiday pay on top of work pay, but I'm sure many don't.

they are livid about working on thanksgiving.
Then they should quit.

OK, I didn't read every post, because I both know what most of them say already, and tl;dr.

I saw a sign in front of Target yesterday. HIRING HOLIDAY STAFF. Guess what...the people that apply know full well what's going to happen, don't they?

I'm pretty sure this started because people wanted an earlier jump on shopping. I'm pretty sure as a retailer if I have someone that wanted to buy from me I'd be open. When I was in college I worked at circuit city. I hated Black Friday (5am starts then) but it was one of the only days I made a lot of money on commission.

I work in retail and I really don't mind working on the holidays. Part of it is that my family is across the country so visiting them isn't something that I can really do and I also get paid for the holiday and on top of that I get time and a half for any hours worked. It's a decent deal.

Here's another approach from REI which is closing all stores tomorrow.

Tomorrow we're closing our doors and going outside. Join us #OptOutside

REI.com Search Form
Search REI.com

• Camp & Hike
  • Climb
  • Cycle
  • Paddle
  • Run
  • Snow
  • Travel
  • Yoga
  • Men
  • Women
  • Kids
  • More...
  • REI OUTLET

[h=1]1,047,480[/h][h=2]OF US ARE CHOOSING TO #OPTOUTSIDE.
WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE.[/h]Tomorrow we are closing our doors and going outside. The only doors we want you busting are the outdoors, with us.
Join us outside

Photo © 2015, VisitTheUSA.com
from the film "National Parks Adventure"

Most firefighters work 2 on 3 off so they have many days off, and the rest on your list have days off mandated by their union contracts. A;so most of these public servants will get double time to double time and a half for working a holiday.

I certainly don't get double time I get normal pay with a small stipend for holidays and there are many different schedules for fire, police, ems, etc. but at the end of the year we work as many standard hours as someone working 40 hours a week 9-5. People assume it's such a cushy schedule but hours worked are hours worked, they are days and nights away from family and loved ones.

As far as the OP I think people should be happy to have a job and obviously shoppers want the stores open or they wouldn't be out there I would be open if I was a company.

Here's another approach from REI which is closing all stores tomorrow.

Tomorrow we're closing our doors and going outside. Join us #OptOutside

REI.com Search Form
Search REI.com

• Camp & Hike
  • Climb
  • Cycle
  • Paddle
  • Run
  • Snow
  • Travel
  • Yoga
  • Men
  • Women
  • Kids
  • More...
  • REI OUTLET

[h=1]1,047,480[/h][h=2]OF US ARE CHOOSING TO #OPTOUTSIDE.
WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE.[/h]Tomorrow we are closing our doors and going outside. The only doors we want you busting are the outdoors, with us.
Join us outside

Photo © 2015, VisitTheUSA.com
from the film "National Parks Adventure"

Based on their design structure, selling to active humans, it makes a ton of sense.

Back