What do you look for in a golf instructor/coach?

I'm a big believer that in order to truly improve, you have to get an instructor that pushes for ideal positions and movements. Not necessarily a "tweak what you have". If what you have is garbage movements, you're just going to get garbage tweaks.
Bingo

unfortunately many of us with families or career can't dedicate the time to make these must changes/ positions. I did , but it took an hour a day with mirror work/range work/slow motion swings for one straight year. I kinda slacked off a bit and my old swing problems slowly crept in again with my last session. These changes are literally a few season commitment and than constant maintenance. Many / if not all ams may have trouble sacrificing that much time. Why the teachers that "work with what you have " seem to be the most popular

Update: The lesson went really well today. Better than I could have expected. We started out by getting to know each other. I talked about my short and long term goals, what I was looking for in an instructor. He talked about his background, teaching style ,etc. We talked about how this was a trial run, and if things went well we would start lessons at the end of winter or early spring. Then he just watched me hit balls for a while, continuing the conversation. He knows I have an event in two weeks, so he would not be making any major changes or adjustments. He did say that my grip was fine right now, and wouldn't need changed in the spring. And, his philosophy is to work with MY swing, not completely tear things down and impose a new swing style. There are some things he would change in posture, but not until spring. He did point out that my head was down, and had me keep my chin up, which was a small adjustment, but produced really solid contact. Some of the best consistent contact I've had in a while. He looked at a few other small things, just quick pointers here and there, which was all I was looking for. The time went really fast, and was over before I knew it. I was offered the chance to hit balls after on my own, and it was one of the better range sessions I've had lately.

The facility is also really nice. Heated bays in the winter. The personal lesson areas are equipped with video, trackman, etc, if needed. Over 100 grass tees. 3 short game practice areas. Three different short 9 hole courses (100 yards and it). Also, only 25 minutes from home.

The other main objective for me was to see how my swing would hold up with an instructor watching (and judging) every shot. One thing I was worried about was going into the fitting at Callaway and "losing" my swing, and then the fitter wouldn't be able to fit me with the most optimal setup. I've never been to a true fitting before, let alone one like I'll be getting. I'm not worried about that at all, not one bit, after today. The guy today was impressed (who wouldn't be) with the Granddaddy, and said I would be fine at the fitting. He was excited to see how it went, want I was fit into, and to begin working with me in the spring.

Thanks to all that had given previous advice of what they looked for in an instructor, it gave me some ideas and things to ask about that I normally wouldn't, and made for a really productive first meeting. Feeling really good about where MY game is right now (and also where it can go to next year). I'm excited for what's to come in two weeks, and will continue playing golf and working on making sure I'm the best I can be for my team and this event. No letting up on preparation until the flight out there.

That sounds like a great first lesson. Way to go!

Any particular reason to wait for more sessions until late winter/spring? Just seems like the off season is a good time to work on getting to know the coach and work on parts of the swing so that they are nailed or at least well on their way by the start of the season. Even every few weeks could be a big benefit.

I'm a big believer that in order to truly improve, you have to get an instructor that pushes for ideal positions and movements. Not necessarily a "tweak what you have". If what you have is garbage movements, you're just going to get garbage tweaks.

I think it also makes a big difference whether the improvement is to go from 100 to 90 or from 85 to 75. At some point if you don't have the fundamentals and the rights positions/movements it is near impossible to break 80 let alone get down to the mid-70s. But, sometimes I wonder whether breaking down and rebuilding the swing of someone just trying to break 100 is necessarily the right thing to do. Of course, it depends on how bad the swing is and what the mistakes/issues are. At some point, you just have to have the basics and so the starting point is clearly important as well.

I think that the other factor is whether the student has the ability to make big changes (literally the athletic ability to do it) - matched with the desire and time to do so. For some people making a major change or two could take an enormous amount of practice and time to incorporate and if the person doesn't have the time or the desire, then it may be better to make small changes and "work with what they have" to improve their game in a way that will actually happen - and may better motivate them and build confidence.

So much of the approach in my opinion needs to focus on building confidence through the development process that the coach needs to read the student a bit and see what makes the most sense for that particular person.

This sounds so promising! I'm glad the meeting went well and it sounds like you are in good hands

Yeah, the past few ranges sessions I've had after this lesson my ball contact and consistency with irons had been the best I've had this year. I'm happy I found this guy and am excited to see how much I can improve in the long term.

That sounds like a great first lesson. Way to go!

Any particular reason to wait for more sessions until late winter/spring? Just seems like the off season is a good time to work on getting to know the coach and work on parts of the swing so that they are nailed or at least well on their way by the start of the season. Even every few weeks could be a big benefit.

One of the main reasons is I'd like to get out on the grass instead of hitting off the matts. But, I'm so happy with the first meeting, I may end up going in sooner.

I too have booked myself in for a 1hr session with an instructor with a view to developing a lesson program. I must admit to feeling a little nervous ATM as I never had a lesson before or a club fitting etc and just hope I can demonstrate what I have on the day with him looking on. I've exchanged a few emails with him and viewed some online content and he comes across as patient and personable. Nothing to get all wound up about right?

What I would like to ask of anybody that has taken or provided lessons is how often is ideal and what has worked for others... I really want to enjoy this first experience.

TIA

Question fellas, i dont need to know your expendatures but when looking at a lesson or mentor/coach how much should be common and how often are some of you going to lessons/coaching sessions?

What do you look for in a golf instructor/coach?

Question fellas, i dont need to know your expendatures but when looking at a lesson or mentor/coach how much should be common and how often are some of you going to lessons/coaching sessions?

$80 an for a 50 minute session for the guy I went to. If you purchase a 4 pack or more they get discounted some.

I'm doing an online program and it averages to about $1500 a year. It's great instruction and actually really fun to do

unfortunately many of us with families or career can't dedicate the time to make these must changes/ positions. I did , but it took an hour a day with mirror work/range work/slow motion swings for one straight year. I kinda slacked off a bit and my old swing problems slowly crept in again with my last session. These changes are literally a few season commitment and than constant maintenance. Many / if not all ams may have trouble sacrificing that much time. Why the teachers that "work with what you have " seem to be the most popular
I agree with that, and honestly if you have a bad swing and don't have the time to put in work, you might as well save your money and not get lessons. Even a one-lesson band-aid isn't going to stick if you don't practice it. Very limited practice time is better spent on the chipping and putting greens IMO, that's the way you can get your score down without a lot of constant work.

I think it also makes a big difference whether the improvement is to go from 100 to 90 or from 85 to 75.
Why not go from 100 to 75?

At some point if you don't have the fundamentals and the rights positions/movements it is near impossible to break 80 let alone get down to the mid-70s. But, sometimes I wonder whether breaking down and rebuilding the swing of someone just trying to break 100 is necessarily the right thing to do. Of course, it depends on how bad the swing is and what the mistakes/issues are. At some point, you just have to have the basics and so the starting point is clearly important as well.
Having been there and done that, I'd argue that someone trying to break 100 is the ideal candidate for a full swing change. If you're struggling to break 100, your swing is likely terrible or at least wildly inconsistent. Go look in the "trying to break 100" thread if you disagree.

I think that the other factor is whether the student has the ability to make big changes (literally the athletic ability to do it) - matched with the desire and time to do so. For some people making a major change or two could take an enormous amount of practice and time to incorporate and if the person doesn't have the time or the desire, then it may be better to make small changes and "work with what they have" to improve their game in a way that will actually happen - and may better motivate them and build confidence.
That's true too, but IMO that just makes it a matter of time. Maybe you can get a great swing in a few months, maybe it takes a few years. The key is taking it seriously and being willing to put in the time, then finding the right coach for you.

I did it the hardcore way, signed up for a year of weekly lessons at GolfTEC. It ain't cheap, it's a couple grand total, and I get lessons weekly with additional practice time during the week. I'm spending probably 90 minutes a week between lessons and practice. But since I started in January, I've gone from a terrible swing that sliced half the time to a consistent push draw and gained a good 30-40 yards at least with all my clubs.

To give you some idea, I've gone from this:

Je8umjj.jpg

To this:

w2Z8Hfh.jpg

Last edited:
Simplicity.

Back