Best Current Draw Bias Driver?

williaza

Reaction score
Handicap
Just interested in what you guys think is the best Draw Biased driver on the market the last year or so.

If the goal is to correct a slice, I'm not sure this will assist as it's almost always a swing path issue.

But with most being adjustable you can really pick and choose.

Any version of Cleveland CG Black or Ping G30 SF TEC.

I would say u could start with the 2014 ( OR WAS it 2013 time flies by) Callaway Big Bertha. The sliding weight on the rear of the head really works. Personally I had to position the weight very close to full fade position and I still hit my fair share of draws, just not big ones that go to far left. For me if the sliding weight is positioned at full draw or for that matter anywhere in the draw settings side I would say you have a serious draw based driver. Does this mean your experinece would be the same? Maybe

would the cobra fly-z xl os qualify? at liita that was one of the best drivers I've ever hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draw bias without closing the face and without adjustments would have to be the Ping G30 SF Tec. With adjustments and without closed face is the Great Big Bertha from Callaway. If you want a more closed face or offset, the Fly-Z XL from Cobra is a solid option.

I don't understand the "draw/fade" bias really. Ball flight laws state that draw/fade is determined by path to face ratio.

Drivers that put weight toward the heel to claim draw bias would actually be pull bias, since face angle determines the start direction of the flight. Perhaps drivers that have more upright lie angle would be draw bias? But how much upright can you get before it starts to mess with contact?

For what it's worth I have been gaming my tour edge exotics xrail driver with draw bias this year and have loved every swing! It has helped me find more fairways over my taylormade burner. Now that my swing has developed more, I am seeing more draws then ever. I hope to keep progressing to the point where I can't hit it right and then switch to my taylormade.

I play the 12* regular flex and have a spectacular high launch. The added loft also help keep the ball straight. If I could do it over i would probably get the 10.5* though.

i got mine at rock bottom for $75

I don't understand the "draw/fade" bias really. Ball flight laws state that draw/fade is determined by path to face ratio.

Drivers that put weight toward the heel to claim draw bias would actually be pull bias, since face angle determines the start direction of the flight. Perhaps drivers that have more upright lie angle would be draw bias? But how much upright can you get before it starts to mess with contact?
Is it that the "draw" bias is a bit of a misnomer used for the ease of the consumer to allow them to understand it easier? The weighting is effective for the most part in adjusting face angle through the swing, right?

Is it that the "draw" bias is a bit of a misnomer used for the ease of the consumer to allow them to understand it easier? The weighting is effective for the most part in adjusting face angle through the swing, right?
I think definitely marketing involved. Weighting will help close the face for sure. Make the ball start more left for righty. Bit if face is open to path (face 2° closed but path 6° closed (OTT)) then it will still be a slice

I think definitely marketing involved. Weighting will help close the face for sure. Make the ball start more left for righty. Bit if face is open to path (face 2° closed but path 6° closed (OTT)) then it will still be a slice
We are on the same page with that one!

Or make the one good swing that goes OB left.

I do agree I think the weight in the heel makes it easier to,close the face, but like Kang said it can just cause a pull Slice instead of a slice

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I must admit that I am a noob on tech and driver specs. I was sort of asking about the most closed faced drivers. I think I messed up my wording sorry. The guy I took lessons from told me that some drivers are made to have a more closed face as opposed to open. I bought a Bertha Mini and have definitely sliced it WAY less however when measured it still measured 2.1 degrees open...even in the draw setting. Calloway said that the draw setting actually had more to do with the loft and less with face angle because it sells better.

So my question is are some current drivers more closed than others? I see that Bombtech advertises their driver as O degree club face (is this considered closed)? thank you. Sorry if it comes across as a novice

Definitely no need to apologize. You are searching for help and hopefully THPers can assist.
What you should take a look for are the most forgiving drivers and not so much the closed aspect. Most will go hand in hand. Tons of info on THP for that as well.

Last edited:
That's the swing flaw that's not fixable by adjustability. the heelside weight will help with minor swing faults, to help square the face. But it won't fix major OTT issues.

FLY Z XL.

I would have to say the G30 SF Tec... I hit that thing a few times and I couldn't get it to the right if I wanted to. I will say, like others, it will not correct swing flaws by any means, but if you can practice getting the face as square as possible at impact I believe this driver will help with a draw. I don't buy into the adjustability of clubs much as it really only matters if you get the face perfectly square at impact every time anyway and not many of us actually do that. Look for something in the specs you want in the neutral setting and practice.

I must admit that I am a noob on tech and driver specs. I was sort of asking about the most closed faced drivers. I think I messed up my wording sorry. The guy I took lessons from told me that some drivers are made to have a more closed face as opposed to open. I bought a Bertha Mini and have definitely sliced it WAY less however when measured it still measured 2.1 degrees open...even in the draw setting. Calloway said that the draw setting actually had more to do with the loft and less with face angle because it sells better.

So my question is are some current drivers more closed than others? I see that Bombtech advertises their driver as O degree club face (is this considered closed)? thank you. Sorry if it comes across as a novice
No need to apologize at all. Most people believe the incorrect wording used by manufacturers to describe these drivers. But it is a path issue. Having said that, I do like my G30 SF Tech. But I also liked my R1 with weights and stuff adjusted to help me close the face. Before that I gamed an offset Cobra AMP driver which also helped get the face closed (I think they sell a different model now that is similarly designed). There are several options available, all are good, but they will all be mostly limited to helping us square the face at impact, not fixing the slice.

Drivers that put weight toward the heel to claim draw bias would actually be pull bias?

I'm confused. Are you saying the heel weighting will cause you to come on an outside in path (assuming a closed face) to pull the ball or are you saying the heel weighting helps close the face and given a neutral swing path will cause it to start left resulting in a pull ?

I'm confused. Are you saying the heel weighting will cause you to come on an outside in path (assuming a closed face) to pull the ball or are you saying the heel weighting helps close the face and given a neutral swing path will cause it to start left resulting in a pull ?
The latter.

The latter.

Ok thanks. I game the SF Tec and my miss is usually a pull. You had me thinking the draw weighting might be causing this.

With mine it's straight for the most part or perhaps a baby draw on good swing days. But what helps keep me in play is for whatever reason when I come OTT and pull the ball it usually fades back into play. Gear effect ?

I know it's not current, but I had a TM superfast, and it had a draw biased face. I bet you could find one of those pretty cheap if you want to test your theory.

I think definitely marketing involved.

No one would like it if it were called Hook Bias would then :bulgy-eyes:

Taylormade SLDR is the most draw bias club I've used. Such an easy club to hit rope hooks with!

^ Come to think of it, I gamed the SLDR last year for a while with 3 different shafts, set to max fade and had the loft lowered as much as I could to open the face up….I don’t believe I sliced or faded the club ever. The downside for me is when my swing was off I lost considerable yardage and the nice high draw turned into a 180 yd low snap hook.

For me the Ping G30 SF Tec has been a really good driver. For those that might not know the SF Tec head has the weight port near the heel of the club.

I have a pretty strong 10 finger grip (hands are simply too small to effectively plan an overlap or interlock grip) so I usually can close up the club face, but what I find for me is, for the most part it takes away a two way miss. I demo’d the regular G30 head and it was very similar to my G25, they do fly straight but my miss could be left or right. With the SF Tec head I rarely push fade or slice the ball. My normal miss is an over the top pull, but what I have found is that with the SF Tec instead of the miss being a pull hook I will normally pull fade the ball which stays in play for me.

I was on a driver carousel for a few years until I started gaming the G30 SF Tec. It’s been in the bag for about a year and a half now. If you are on the budget the Ping K15 is its predecessor. Its not current though. I use it as back up or as a change of pace if I want to try something different for a round.

At a demo day back in May I hit the Fly Z XL and it was very easy to turn the ball over and draw it.

Back