Golf ball Distance question

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
So it was 40 degrees yesterday when I played and I got some brand new TM tour preferred balls I was playing with and they seemed to be short of where I usually am. Is this more the ball or the temperature? I was short virtually all day yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Play prov 1x, TPx and didn't seem to have these issues but it was also 65 degrees then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion compression matters and science backs it up. Normally when its a bit colder, the swing speed and contact wont be quite the same and because of that the ball is harder to compress and therefore leads to less ball speed.

Another opinion you will hear is that compression doesnt matter, but you are just swinging softer due to colder temps or more layers on. Because of that the ball speed is down as well. A lot of people seem to switch to an easier to compress ball for colder weather.

Me, I use a softer compression ball all year long.

I always play lower compression balls in mid 50s and below. Need to be able to compress the ball and the higher ones don't compress well in colder temps. E6, q star, super soft, chromesoft are some of my cold weather ball choices

I also go with a lower compression ball in cooler temps. I consider sub 60 cold and am wearing at least a long sleeved and a short sleeved shirt. Out come the Q Star and E6 balls. Also going to try a Nike RZN White that I got in my secret santa package. It is billed as a low compression ball.

I have not found a significant distance loss with cold weather - I played last week in 45-50 deg weather, and jacked balls to the back and over some greens. Played Nike, Callaway HX Tour, Monsta and ProV. All traveled my usual distances.

I too think a loss of distance in the winter is two or more layers of clothing binds the swing somewhat and cold temps negatively effecting the low compression balls.

I always play lower compression balls in mid 50s and below. Need to be able to compress the ball and the higher ones don't compress well in colder temps. E6, q star, super soft, chromesoft are some of my cold weather ball choices

This ^^^

I do the same thing.

I'm asking this because I honestly don't know.

For those that say they play a lower compression ball in the winter, what is the advantage of switching to a higher compression when it warms up?

I'm asking this because I honestly don't know.

For those that say they play a lower compression ball in the winter, what is the advantage of switching to a higher compression when it warms up?
In my region the soft compression balls like e6 play well not just because of compression/distance but because the greens are so soft these balls stop quickly on approach shots. In the summer I go back to the other balls for better performance on approach shots. I suppose this wouldn't be a factor if I played Chrome Softs or something similar, but that's where I'm at.

I guess I need to understand balls better and their composition. I have always focused on whether it's a 2,3 or 4 piece ball It would seem to me a lower compression would be good year round..no? If not what characteristics of a higher compression make it better in the warmer weather.

FWIW. I was just watching a replay on the Long Drive Champinonships. At the beginning rounds most guys were able to hit the ball a good 380-395. As the night went on Michael Breed and the other commentator said temps dropped and barometric pressure changed and guys were now only getting it out there 350-360 ish.

I'm not a big hitter. When I play in cooler temps I can still usually drive the ball pretty close to summer distances. With irons I typically see about a 5-10 yd drop off once it gets about 30-55*. I play the Supersoft year round.

I guess I need to understand balls better and their composition. I have always focused on whether it's a 2,3 or 4 piece ball It would seem to me a lower compression would be good year round..no? If not what characteristics of a higher compression make it better in the warmer weather.

A low compression ball can be played all year round. E series from Bridgestone, q stars, duo and chromesoft are good examples of balls that can be played all year. It's easier to compress them in colder temps compared to higher compression balls. Bfit guys did say the b330-RX could be used as a cold weather ball.

for me the higher compression balls don't compress as much when it's cold and I see distance loss as a result.

A low compression ball can be played all year round. E series from Bridgestone, q stars, duo and chromesoft are good examples of balls that can be played all year. It's easier to compress them in colder temps compared to higher compression balls. Bfit guys did say the b330-RX could be used as a cold weather ball.

for me the higher compression balls don't compress as much when it's cold and I see distance loss as a result.
Thanks that helps a lot. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I realize you said many of the balls above are good year round balls and they are lower compression. [/FONT] But I guess I'm still stuck on why some would not want to play a lower compression ball in the summer. .

Maybe be the best way to ask is, what advantages do a higher compression ball give you. Is it possible for a very high speed swinger to compress a ball too much? If so how is the shot affected or is it more of a feel thing.

Sorry if I seem to be asking the same thing over, but obviously I'm still missing some aspect to it :banghead:

I don't know the science or the chemistry but I have doubts that modern materials are affected much by temperature differences between 40 and 100.

I suspect the temperature affects the swing much more.

Thanks that helps a lot. I realize you said many of the balls above are good year round balls and they are lower compression. But I guess I'm still stuck on why some would not want to play a lower compression ball in the summer. .

Maybe be the best way to ask is, what advantages do a higher compression ball give you. Is it possible for a very high speed swinger to compress a ball too much? If so how is the shot affected or is it more of a feel thing.

Sorry if I seem to be asking the same thing over, but obviously I'm still missing some aspect to it :banghead:

Same reason some play different clubs.
Marketing, feel, look, brand loyalty, etc. There are a lot of reasons.

Same reason some play different clubs.
Marketing, feel, look, brand loyalty, etc. There are a lot of reasons.
Now that's something I can understand. And, certainly nothing wrong with any of those reasons. As I know I've played a club, ball or bag for all of those reasons at one time or another.

Thanks that helps a lot. I realize you said many of the balls above are good year round balls and they are lower compression. But I guess I'm still stuck on why some would not want to play a lower compression ball in the summer. .

there could be issues with too low compression in summer time. T2grn was ballooning both the duo and duo spin.

there are some guys on here with high SS that love the chromesoft as much as guys with slower SS. JB also hit some good points goo.

there could be issues with too low compression in summer time. T2grn was ballooning both the duo and duo spin.

there are some guys on here with high SS that love the chromesoft as much as guys with slower SS. JB also hit some good points goo.
Gotcha!

So can compression affect the amount a ball spins? I know the cover and the angle of the club face at Impact do, just wondering as you say in T2GRN18's case if his high swing speed created more spin due to the cover or compression.

Anyway, this topic has peaked my interest today...as you can tell :D

Gotcha!

So can compression affect the amount a ball spins? I know the cover and the angle of the club face at Impact do, just wondering as you say in T2GRN18's case if his high swing speed created more spin due to the cover or compression.

Anyway, this topic has peaked my interest today...as you can tell :D

Can it? Yes.
But not in the way most are thinking.
Based on new technology, it does not look like too many people are over powering low compression golf balls. There is a law of diminishing return however.

Can it? Yes.
But not in the way most are thinking.
Based on new technology, it does not look like too many people are over powering low compression golf balls. There is a law of diminishing return however.

Can you elaborate on the diminishing return part?

I've read somewhere that some people have ball warmers in their bags. That's for golf balls. I just forgot what they have no the Rules of Golf.

I don't know the science or the chemistry but I have doubts that modern materials are affected much by temperature differences between 40 and 100.

I suspect the temperature affects the swing much more.

I have to agree.

The ball usually doesn't go as far when it's cold in my experience.

Back