THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

No worries and I know it's not about me.

Please feel free to look back at some of more recent THP Bridgestone events and look at the submitted handicap provided and then reference my scores shot. I can tell you that my USGA Golf Association of Michigan handicap of 2 is not accurate because of my work league course. There is no way in hell that I can shoot in the mid to high 60s at any given time or any given course. It sure is nice going driver then 8 iron into two or the three par 5's though.

Ill be honest here and say I am struggling a bit with this. You keep a USGA handicap and it says you are a 2 (according to your post).
But you say that is course specific, yet the rating and slope should take care of that, as will playing elsewhere.
So you believe you are a 4.5 and that we should run with that.

I ask you this honestly, should we just ask every participant not what their handicap is, but instead what they think they are? If so, I am cool with that and we can use that format for this event with both teams.

And I dont want to pile on anybody specifically, as that is not the THP Way, so lets see if we can have this as a good discussion to make the event even better and stronger.

Two thoughts.

1 - Can I have an alternate handicap for bermuda? Because I would definitely like one.
2 - Thank goodness for captains and the team aspect. Accountability will be easy to manage on this one.

Have no worries Michiganders. Coming out of the winter, we will get all handicaps situated and legit.

Don't want any supposed #Sandbaggery for Ohio to use as an excuse.

Two thoughts.

1 - Can I have an alternate handicap for bermuda? Because I would definitely like one.
2 - Thank goodness for captains and the team aspect. Accountability will be easy to manage on this one.

You can have a putt preview of the last 5ft

Maybe im in the minority but if the USGA says im a 16 even if I play the same course or 2 and they are easy, I cant go into a competition claiming anything but that.

You are most definitely not wrong on this.

So we have Michiganders sand bagging and then reverse sand bagging? awesome! Either way, should be a trouncing by the OHIO team. Top to bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill be honest here and say I am struggling a bit with this. You keep a USGA handicap and it says you are a 2 (according to your post).
But you say that is course specific, yet the rating and slope should take care of that, as will playing elsewhere.
So you believe you are a 4.5 and that we should run with that.

I ask you this honestly, should we just ask every participant not what their handicap is, but instead what they think they are? If so, I am cool with that and we can use that format for this event with both teams.

Let's roll with the 2 and be done with it.

And to answer your question, the majority of participants here do not keep an actual handicap. All I have read above is "unofficial, do not keep an official, best guess, etc." How can we have an "honest" event when only a handful of participants keep an official handicap?

Let's roll with the 2 and be done with it.

And to answer your question, the majority of participants here do not keep an actual handicap. All I have read above is "unofficial, do not keep an official, best guess, etc." How can we have an "honest" event when only a handful of participants keep an official handicap?

I think you are mistaken actually. Quite a few of them do keep a real one as they were needed for multiple THP Events last year and got one right on THP.
But as we have said, we have not announced how any indexes are used and will be used for any of the Regional Rivalry events.

Love the idea of having the meet and greet and range open! That will be a blast and be great to come support the guys.

I hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way... my HC is definitely NOT official as it has been calculated by a league stats keeping site. This is something I strive to accurately track this season. This will not only help for outings, but I feel that it will help me become a better golfer.

I would love to (and look forward to) playing with as many THPers as possible in the future so that they, as-well-as my professionally tracked HC this year can validate my game and skill level.

In the end, I am in it for the fun. I am not playing money games or going pro but I still would like to work towards keeping an official HC. Honesty and integrity are very important to me. I could care less if I win or lose on the course... I am there to have a good time with good people, and hopefully make some memorable shots along the way.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Not knowing how hdcp's will or won't be used is difficult, but if you are using an official hdcp system to input your scores then your hdcp is what it says it is. Courses and slope ratings are all factored into that number. I keep an official one and have for the last 2 years right here through the link to the US Hdcp system. Only reason I don't know exactly what it is at this very moment is that it tells me I need to renew my membership.

I really think that if Hdcp is even a small part of this event that every team member should have a real official HDCP. Just my opinion.

I hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way... my HC is definitely NOT official as it has been calculated by a league stats keeping site. This is something I strive to accurately track this season. This will not only help for outings, but I feel that it will help me become a better golfer.

I would love to (and look forward to) playing with as many THPers as possible in the future so that they, as long as my professionally tracked HC this year can validate my game and skill level.

In the end, I am in it for the fun. I am not playing money games or going pro but I still would like to work towards keeping an official HC.

Thanks guys!

No sir. Not at all.
Its a good conversation to have.

June 10th and 11th are officially blocked in my calendar now! I'll be at the meet and greet and range regardless of making the team or not. Awesome!

Might I suggest anyone that doesn't have an "official" handicap sign up and get one, through the THP partner or USGA, whatever. Something that can be verified. It doesn't cost that much I think its like $30/yr.

If you play in a league, you or your league president should have your scores from last season. You can backdate your scores usually when inputting them and this way your handicap will be based on actual course ratings...assuming you put in the right course and tees you play from. This way you will know what your true handicap is not your league handicap and we can eliminate this nonsense of league and traveling handicap.

Might I suggest anyone that doesn't have an "official" handicap sign up and get one, through the THP partner or USGA, whatever. Something that can be verified. It doesn't cost that much I think its like $30/yr.

I suspect this is a small ask for participating in a 'fair play' event that includes handicap. This isn't about gaining an advantage, but rather leveling the playing field. Be honest, and events like these are maximized in quality.

I keep my handicap on USGA through the Hackers link. It's easy peasy to use. Sandbagging or not, Michigan still sucks!

Just to put this out there, real handicap or not, its not hard to sandbag. While we hope that is not the case at THP Events (only had a single situation come up), it can happen. I dont think it will happen here however.

THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Not knowing how hdcp's will or won't be used is difficult, but if you are using an official hdcp system to input your scores then your hdcp is what it says it is. Courses and slope ratings are all factored into that number. I keep an official one and have for the last 2 years right here through the link to the US Hdcp system. Only reason I don't know exactly what it is at this very moment is that it tells me I need to renew my membership.

I really think that if Hdcp is even a small part of this event that every team member should have a real official HDCP. Just my opinion.

I'm with you on this one. I don't know how HCPs will be used or formats used. But for the Michiganders, Gam.org offering lots of goodies plus a USGA handicap for $30. So it shouldn't be an issue getting a HCP. Plus THP offers HCP services.

I guess my only question is when would the HCP need to be turned in by, as the HCP is probably going to change, through the spring.

Can't believe I'm saying this...

Ohio trumps Michigan when it comes to roller coaster parks, indoor & outdoor water parks, and zoo's. Cedar Point is hands down the best roller coaster park, Kalahari is an awesome indoor water park, and the Toledo Zoo is ten times better than that of the Detroit Zoo.

That's about it though.

When I was at college in MI, the only reason we would even consider going to OH was for Cedar Point. ;)
Can't believe I'm saying this...

Ohio trumps Michigan when it comes to roller coaster parks, indoor & outdoor water parks, and zoo's. Cedar Point is hands down the best roller coaster park, Kalahari is an awesome indoor water park, and the Toledo Zoo is ten times better than that of the Detroit Zoo.

That's about it though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

And in case you missed it, below are the questions again:

1. What is your current index? I am currently at 9.0.
2. What is your goal index wise by the time of the event? Ideally, I'd like to be around 7 by the time June rolls around.
3. What do you consider are your strengths of your golf game? I feel that I am a pretty good putter, and I am pretty good at staying within myself when I play. If I make a mistake, I take my medicine, and work from there. I think I am good at playing my own game. When others are hitting driver, and I don't think the hole calls for it, I am good at playing the shot I think I need to play. I also think I am pretty good at recognizing when I have it that day, and stay more aggressive than I might normally be to take advantage. I am long enough off the tee to leave myself with manageable approach shots.
4. What are your weaknesses that you need to improve? Short game, short game, short game. I have improved a lot over the last season here, but I feel like I need to get up and down more than I currently do.
5. What kind of player are you teammate wise when playing alongside a fellow teammate? I am a player who likes to take it one shot at a time. Play what you're given, then forget it and move on to the next shot. I like to keep things a bit loose, with the tunes going the whole time. I also like to talk a lot when planning shots, or helping my teammate visualize their shot. A lot of back and forth about what we are thinking, what we want to do, and the last thing is always "you've got this shot." Never say sorry!
6. What is your plan to help assure your team is victorious in June? I have been working on my fitness, having started a strength training program knowing that will translate to a stronger golf swing. I also plan on spending a bit of time in the simulator during the winter months keeping the swing together. I will probably also have some video help with Panda while I am stuck inside. I am hoping to host a couple of team sim sessions while the snow is on the ground. Once spring hits, I want to continue the push I had leading up to the Gauntlet of working on my short game. Spending most of my practice time on the putting green and short game area helped me in my later fall rounds.
7. Why do you want to be a part of this team? My personal rivalry with the state of Michigan took root even before our move to Ohio. Professional sports is a catalyst, with the Minnesota sharing divisions with Michigan in baseball and football. One of my favorite chants as a Blackhawks "sports" fan is "Detroit SUCKS!" and our home wifi network is called "We're not Detroit!" Since our move to Cleveland, the Ohio THPers have taken me in as their own, and it would be a pleasure and honor to represent our state in this event.
8. Why should I pick you? I wouldn't be living here if it wasn't for THP, and I would love to represent Ohio in taking down that State up North. That and free sim time during the winter.

I'm with you on this one. I don't know how HCPs will be used or formats used. But for the Michiganders, Gam.org offering lots of goodies plus a USGA handicap for $30. So it shouldn't be an issue getting a HCP. Plus THP offers HCP services.

I guess my only question is when would the HCP need to be turned in by, as the HCP is probably going to change, through the spring.

I think all of the necessary info will be released when necessary for those participating in the event. No need to worry about it now, we still have 3 months until we can even enter a score!

updated list of those that have replied to my questions:

PhillyV
Cbaker2882
Bullfrog
Mmaynard11
Gunner
Grins
Ntanygd760
Pinslayer216
The Milk Man
Misike
Certifiable
Robozeo
Canadan
Robman7
CaptainCaution

And in case you missed it, below are the questions again (please send via PM as well):

1. What is your current index?
2. What is your goal index wise by the time of the event?
3. What do you consider are your strengths of your golf game?
4. What are your weaknesses that you need to improve?
5. What kind of player are you teammate wise when playing alongside a fellow teammate?
6. What is your plan to help assure your team is victorious in June?
7. Why do you want to be apart of this team?
8. Why should I pick you?

Back