THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Announcement

The 2016 THP Program of #ChangeTheGame encompasses a lot of variables, but one of the items that we are enjoying most is inclusive vs exclusive and what it can mean to newcomers. With that said, there is something unique coming to these events that could make it a lot of fun as well.

While only 16 participants will be playing in the event, THP knows that the day of reckoning has a lot of supports from each region, so we are going to open this up for support, not just online but in person. The meet and greet the night before, will be open to any Albatross Club Members from each region to come on out, enjoy the company of other THPers and watch the matches get setup. The range before the round will be open to supporters of each region to come out, offer some words of encouragement and watch the guys prepare for battle.

The dinner post event is also a possibility, however that will be completely dependent on space availability, and each region will have that announced at least a month in advance so plans can be arranged.

There is a lot at stake here, and we hope THPers enjoy the inclusion and are able to cheer their team on to victory.

That's awesome!

Arundel Gold Park has heated bays. If you're looking for swing work.

I'm out there pretty much every Wednesday. It still gets a bit chilly, but the heat does a decent job imo. They also have the best winter hours of the local ranges that I'm aware of.

Love the extra touch of inclusion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea! For someone that is likely close to the event, but may not get in, this will be an awesome way to support the teams and meet other THP'ers.

Announcement

The 2016 THP Program of #ChangeTheGame encompasses a lot of variables, but one of the items that we are enjoying most is inclusive vs exclusive and what it can mean to newcomers. With that said, there is something unique coming to these events that could make it a lot of fun as well.

While only 16 participants will be playing in the event, THP knows that the day of reckoning has a lot of supports from each region, so we are going to open this up for support, not just online but in person. The meet and greet the night before, will be open to any Albatross Club Members from each region to come on out, enjoy the company of other THPers and watch the matches get setup. The range before the round will be open to supporters of each region to come out, offer some words of encouragement and watch the guys prepare for battle.

The dinner post event is also a possibility, however that will be completely dependent on space availability, and each region will have that announced at least a month in advance so plans can be arranged.

There is a lot at stake here, and we hope THPers enjoy the inclusion and are able to cheer their team on to victory.

Great move JB! First and foremost I want to be a playing teammate, but getting to hang out with other regional THpers's is a great "consolation" prize!

Fantastic Announcement JB....This will really make everyone in the region feel like they are part of it. I hope to be on the team, but If not, I'll drive down to show my support either way!!

I'm out there pretty much every Wednesday. It still gets a bit chilly, but the heat does a decent job imo. They also have the best winter hours of the local ranges that I'm aware of.
Why am I just hearing this...I drive within two miles of there every night on the way home. I hate their balls, but otherwise it's a good place to hit in the winter.

I plan to get to the range when it's cold out.

Thats ts a nice announcement JB. Love the inclusion of the region member who don't get in.

Have ever played in a team event? Yes. Countless over the years. Also played 4 years of high school (3 of those were as Captain) & 2 years of college golf.
~ What makes you an asset to the entire team? I will be an asset to any team. I love being able to dissect players abilities and strengths, all the while adding input to where they would be an asset to a winning team. Especially in match play format. Putting together a team that can match up against anyone is the hardest part about being a Captain.
~ What do you look for from a playing partner? A player that knows the etiquette and rules of the game, who is deliberate but yet still focused at the shot at hand. A player that asks for input when needed, especially in the team format.
A. What do you have to offer a playing partner? Tons of encouragement, a lot of fun & joking going on to a point but as to keep us all relaxed. I can still joke but still very competitive at the same time. I might slice one in the woods a few times, but I will also stick more than a few to within tap in range and drain a few.
~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game. 2015 brought a lot of pain in my life, as I lost 2 close members of the family over the course of the year ... so my golf game took a back seat for a long time. There were times I would just go out and swing & chase after it and hit it again, all without thinking of the times I was going through. Being out on the course, by yourself, just relaxes me.
~ What is your biggest strength in the game? My biggest strength I believe is the short game. My chipping, pitching, etc around the greens is exceptional. That is what allows me to compete against some of the longer hitters in the game. I may be small in stature, but I use my short game to make up for the lack of distance. I also believe I can read greens very well. Especially in the Captain's Choice format. I may not stroke it in the right direction sometimes at first, but I will be able to tell you where to hit it. The act of reading a green is an art ... and I believe I have a knack for doing it.
A. What do you do to maintain it. I try and practice the stroke as much as possible in the house when the weather doesn't cooperate. Also, chipping and pitching in the back yard.
~ What is the biggest weakness in your game? Letting one bad hole or shot ruin my day. I need to learn to let it go and focus on the next shot at hand.
A. What is your plan to overcome it. Actually taking Yoga with the wife to help center my mind & body.
B. How will you know you've been successful? When I know I can say with all honesty that the previous Double on the last hole doesn't mean anything.
~ Do you prefer to practice or play? Definitely playing. This way it tests your true ability to hit all shots. It's too easy to stand on the range and beat balls all day with no real goal in mind. "Hey, you really do have a great range game."
~ What is your handicap index. 8.2
~ What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016? Realistically ... 7.2 Wishful thinking if I can practice more with THP'ers ... 5.0

Announcement

This is really good news! As I will probably be down that weekend to the beach house, which is only about an hour from the course. So whether I make it or not, I will most likely be able to swing by and cheer on the DMV as they wipe the floor with the Carolinian's! :banana:

This is really good news! As I will probably be down that weekend to the beach house, which is only about an hour from the course. So whether I make it or not, I will most likely be able to swing by and cheer on the DMV as they wipe the floor with the Carolinian's! :banana:

Can I come crash?

Can I come crash?

Sure ... as long as I don't have all of the other relatives down that weekend. Also, only if you like fishing & seafood!

I was thinking of playing RNK, Sunday if the weather holds. Anyone want to join me?

I'm getting excited about this battle of the north vs south, I may need to start eating grits and fatbacks so our victory will feel more authentic.

As I have stated before, never ever try to suggest that a good ole boy from the foothills of Virginia is not Southern. I'm American by birth, but Southern by the grace of God. I was baptized in 100 proof and I still drink from a mason jar. If you think one's diet can enhance one's southern lifestyle, don't forget the collard greens. If you ever need your digestive track cleared, they will do it for you. One thing I promised myself when I was on my own, I would never eat another collard green.

If you are trying to upset us by implying that we ain't southern, I think ya gonna find that to be a mistake, it will backfire on ya. While us mountain folk are slow to be angered (for that matter just slow), ya don't wanna see us when ya put the burr up our butts.

Last edited:
Sure ... as long as I don't have all of the other relatives down that weekend. Also, only if you like fishing & seafood!

I'm not sure why I'm asking. My plan is to zero out my -20 on the 24th. Then, I intend to take it to the Wool Warriors the next month and have Captain Panda hold me in such high esteem that it would make me a near lock to represent the DMV :D

We'll see how that plan holds up after I get punched in the face, as it were.

All that aside I don't think I could get away with going down there without my crew in tow. My two kids would be crushed.

A challenge for everyone. Regardless of Team or region.

This is OUR Regional Rivalry! Make this something you will be proud of no matter where the chips may fall.

Each one of have goals in mind both on and off the course. There is no better time than right now to go after them.

79a69870438bddbb849fa8c66fb98796.jpg

This is OUR Regional Rivalry! Make this something you will be proud of no matter where the chips may fall.

Each one of have goals in mind both on and off the course. There is no better time than right now to go after them.

Great quote. I will be saying this tonight for my players at baseball practice.

Woohoo! I can't wait

This is PERFECT...Just PERFECT...in SO many ways!!

Yikes! Has anyone else looked at the scorecard for Royal New Kent? I hope we are not playing the "Invicta" tees ... 7480 yards, slope 153, rating 77.1

NC can play from there ... DMV can play the more reasonable "Black" tees at 6695 yards :clapp:

Yikes! Has anyone else looked at the scorecard for Royal New Kent? I hope we are not playing the "Invicta" tees ... 7480 yards, slope 153, rating 77.1

NC can play from there ... DMV can play the more reasonable "Black" tees at 6695 yards :clapp:

When I saw the course to be played, the first thing I did was check out the scorecard. What do ya mean "Black" tees, I thinking "White" tees. As Eastwood says--"A man's gotta know his limitations" and believe me, I know mine and, until the tees and format are published, I'm not having a good feeling about this and my ability to contribute to the team.

They don't set up the Invicta tees except for their Invicta Challenge in March.

They also have a paper in the cart saying giving suggestions on tee boxes based on average score and to bring plenty of balls. We can get a practice round in Sunday if anyone wants to join me.

In every THP event I've been, JB and Staff have come up with a great combination of tees that works for everyone. It often involves using different colors on different holes. I think it almost always come out in the 6300 to 6500 yard range. That's just past experience.

I have no doubt the course setup will be fair for everyone and challenging for all.

THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

709a54451d074be47b25a6413fb63b28.jpg

This is PERFECT...Just PERFECT...in SO many ways!!

Used this all the time when I used to train people - sad fact is I lost that for a while. Coming back in a big way now! Great Kevin!

Back