The Official NFL 2010 Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the only people saying that once again are the media. A couple of players flew down to speak with him. Nobody knows what they said. Nobody knows what the conversation was like. All we know is that he has said all along that if he was healthy he would play. And apparently he is healthy and will play.

The media is the driving force.

Don't get me wrong I like watching Favre play, but it's been the same song and dance for the past 3 years. It's getting old and annoying to watch this and I watch ESPN all the time. I wanted to see some jim rome is burning but they had to do a special "favre" edition of jim rome.

Don't get me wrong I like watching Favre play, but it's been the same song and dance for the past 3 years. It's getting old and annoying to watch this and I watch ESPN all the time. I wanted to see some jim rome is burning but they had to do a special "favre" edition of jim rome.

But the song and dance is not his. It was the 1st year. Since that time he has never said a word. Its only the media that is making it larger. He is in camp just like he said he would be.

But the song and dance is not his. It was the 1st year. Since that time he has never said a word. Its only the media that is making it larger. He is in camp just like he said he would be.

I wouldn't say its not his song and dance. He did retire from the Jets. He DIDN'T have a big press conference about it because he already did that the year before. This year I don't believe he said anything about retiring. Also note, that he has been doing the entire, I'm not sure I will play since 2003.

The thing that bothers me about it is this. I watched sports center this morning and the anchor said "Favre is up in Minnesota where it is expected he will return to the Vikings. The Vikings sweetened the deal for Favre with more money, but we know thats not what he is about, it is about the love of the game." That to me is some BS. IF it was love the game, why wouldn't he play for the 13 mil that he was going to get, why did he need the reported 20 mil? I understand that he loves the game and can't seem to walk away. I don't hate Favre. BUT if he returns for more money, I think that has more to do with it than some people want to believe.

I wouldn't say its not his song and dance. He did retire from the Jets. He DIDN'T have a big press conference about it because he already did that the year before. This year I don't believe he said anything about retiring. Also note, that he has been doing the entire, I'm not sure I will play since 2003.

The thing that bothers me about it is this. I watched sports center this morning and the anchor said "Favre is up in Minnesota where it is expected he will return to the Vikings. The Vikings sweetened the deal for Favre with more money, but we know thats not what he is about, it is about the love of the game." That to me is some BS. IF it was love the game, why wouldn't he play for the 13 mil that he was going to get, why did he need the reported 20 mil? I understand that he loves the game and can't seem to walk away. I don't hate Favre. BUT if he returns for more money, I think that has more to do with it than some people want to believe.

But he never said he wasnt coming back. I assume you have the same disdain for every player that holds out of his contract, but atleast they are saying its about money only.

I never said Favre was right. What I said was that THIS YEAR, he has done nothing wrong. The media is the one talking about it. Not the Vikings or him.

But he never said he wasnt coming back. I assume you have the same disdain for every player that holds out of his contract, but atleast they are saying its about money only.

I never said Favre was right. What I said was that THIS YEAR, he has done nothing wrong. The media is the one talking about it. Not the Vikings or him.

True...this year he hasn't said much of anything except I will play if healthy. But to me, by not saying much and then coming back when they offer him 20 million, it is saying I'm coming back for the money.

I don't have an issue with most players holding out...sometimes it seems ridiculous. In a case like Revis it is more understandable.

This is from Farve's retirement call from the Jets

Emotionally I'm okay with it," Favre said in a conference call with reporters this evening. "I really felt like it was time. Obviously circumstances last year were a lot different. Physically, if I felt better, we might not be having this conversation. But I think that is, more than anything, the writing on the wall.... It all comes down to physically how I feel. Once again, that could change based on arthroscopic surgery or whatever. But I'm not willing to do that and I'm not willing to take that chance. And that, more than anything, is why I'm retiring."

"I have family and friends: 'All right, Brett, is this the real deal?' And it is," he said. "It is, believe me. It's been a wonderful career. I couldn't ask for anything more. It was worth a shot for me to go to New York. I wish I could have played better down the stretch. I didn't. It's time to leave."

So let me see if I have this straight.

You have no problem with a guy that says "It means nothing that i signed a contract, unless you give me more money".

But you have a problem with a guy that says "if im healthy I will play". And then the team offers him more money and he shows up.

Seems like semantics to me. Again, if the media was not making a big deal about it, this is no different than on any given year. Do you know how many players "retire" and then come back when offered more money? I mean where was the outcry when Junior Seau retired? He came back only to jump on a great team and win.

Im confused who the heck the fans think they are when they can tell someone to call it quits. If a team wants them and they can help said team, who cares? How does it have any effect on you unless you are the lone Tavarious Jackson Fan?

So let me see if I have this straight.

You have no problem with a guy that says "It means nothing that i signed a contract, unless you give me more money".

But you have a problem with a guy that says "if im healthy I will play". And then the team offers him more money and he shows up.

Seems like semantics to me. Again, if the media was not making a big deal about it, this is no different than on any given year. Do you know how many players "retire" and then come back when offered more money? I mean where was the outcry when Junior Seau retired? He came back only to jump on a great team and win.

I didn't like what Seau did, was never a big Seau fan...I thought that was BS. If I was on here you would have heard my outcry on that. That is one reason I was glad the Pats lost that Super Bowl. I think players should honor their contracts, but I understand how the NFL contracts work. It is what it is.

I'm just saying about Brett...that he is saying I will play if healthy. But if you are healthy why are you not back until they offer you 7 more million? It just looks funny to me. Like I said a few posts ago, I don't hate Favre, even read one of his books after he won the super bowl.

But when you say he never said he wasn't coming back after his retirement from the Jets..that's false.

If I said to you. I could go to the outing if I could afford airfare, but I am not willing to pay the price for a ticket, so that is why I am not showing up. Doesn't that mean I am NOT going to the outing?

I didn't like what Seau did, was never a big Seau fan...I thought that was BS. If I was on here you would have heard my outcry on that. That is one reason I was glad the Pats lost that Super Bowl. I think players should honor their contracts, but I understand how the NFL contracts work. It is what it is.

I'm just saying about Brett...that he is saying I will play if healthy. But if you are healthy why are you not back until they offer you 7 more million? It just looks funny to me. Like I said a few posts ago, I don't hate Favre, even read one of his books after he won the super bowl.

But when you say he never said he wasn't coming back after his retirement from the Jets..that's false.

If I said to you. I could go to the outing if I could afford airfare, but I am not willing to pay the price for a ticket, so that is why I am not showing up. Doesn't that mean I am NOT going to the outing?

When did i ever say that? I never said that after going through this thread. I said he never said a thing THIS YEAR. I have said THIS YEAR over and over again. Because people keep saying "the circus is back". The media circus maybe, but Favre has not said a word... THIS YEAR!

But dont give me the "contracts are different". Total semantics. I have done those contracts and a player holding out is done FOR MONEY ONLY! And your insinuating that is what Favre is doing too. No different.

When did i ever say that?

I wouldn't say its not his song and dance. He did retire from the Jets. He DIDN'T have a big press conference about it because he already did that the year before. This year I don't believe he said anything about retiring.

But he never said he wasnt coming back.

To me that sounded like you and I were talking about his retirement from JETS. Could be the same type of mix up like you and I had when we were talking about Dallas earlier in the thread. I agreed that THIS year he never said anything about not playing other than "I will play if healthy"

I hope he is back

To me that sounded like you and I were talking about his retirement from JETS. Could be the same type of mix up like you and I had when we were talking about Dallas earlier in the thread. I agreed that THIS year he never said anything about not playing other than "I will play if healthy"

I hope he is back

As i have said in this entire thread. THIS YEAR he has said nothing and yet the media keeps running around and saying its the Favre circus. YET THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES MAKING IT A CIRCUS!

I still do not understand your logic on something though. You said you feel as though he is coming back for money. but then said you had no problems with people holding out and saying "forget that contract". You do realize that according to the Vikings, Favre never asked for more money right? Im sure it played a role in his decision, but I find someone saying "screw the team and the fans, I want mine" far more appalling. Especially WHEN THEY JUST SIGNED A CONTRACT THE YEAR BEFORE!

As i have said in this entire thread. THIS YEAR he has said nothing and yet the media keeps running around and saying its the Favre circus. YET THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES MAKING IT A CIRCUS!

I still do not understand your logic on something though. You said you feel as though he is coming back for money. but then said you had no problems with people holding out and saying "forget that contract". You do realize that according to the Vikings, Favre never asked for more money right? Im sure it played a role in his decision, but I find someone saying "screw the team and the fans, I want mine" far more appalling. Especially WHEN THEY JUST SIGNED A CONTRACT THE YEAR BEFORE!

My main issue about it was that they were talking about him this morning saying that Favre will return to the Vikings this year. The vikings are going to give him more moeny, but he isn't about the money, he is returning for the love of the game.

You and I are in total agreement that he has not said anything to the media this year about retiring

My main issue about it was that they were talking about him this morning saying that Favre will return to the Vikings this year. The vikings are going to give him more moeny, but he isn't about the money, he is returning for the love of the game.

You and I are in total agreement that he has not said anything to the media this year about retiring

Then my thought to you is that you feel the same way. The problem is ONCE AGAIN, not with Favre or the Vikings. The problem is with the media. They are all like TMZ now. So eager to break a story or steal credit, that they forget to actually fact check.

Then my thought to you is that you feel the same way. The problem is ONCE AGAIN, not with Favre or the Vikings. The problem is with the media. They are all like TMZ now. So eager to break a story or steal credit, that they forget to actually fact check.

now that is true...and I used to be in the media. It's all about out scooping everyone else now

I want to add why I have such a problem with holdouts in many situations. These players sign a contract for what the market bears. They take their signing bonus up front despite it being broken up into payments on the cap. Then when they have a good year, they hold out to get top dollar. The team can cut them of course and take a cap hit on the signing bonus, but in most cases because of the quality of player, it cannot be done. However where are these players when they have a bad year? Do they say, "I was a little off, so lets redo the contract". Of course not.

They always use the excuse of no guaranteed contracts in the NFL, but that is not always the case, because the signing bonus in MOST cases is guaranteed, and if they perform, of course it is guaranteed. But as soon as they have one good year, the contract means nothing and they hold out. Yet an off year, you dont hear a peep out of them. Chris Johnson is the perfect example of this. Great back, and had a career year, so what does he immediately say "new contract". I mean after all, he is the only man to lead the league in rushing and gold teeth in the same year. Its quite a feat because Edgerrin James was close a few times but there were a few players with more bling. Yet if Johnson struggles this year, do you think he will give part of his bonus back? Of course not.

could be like Andre Johnson and renegotiate while showing up to work

I don't think Favre came back for the extra cash, he has plenty. He is struggling with walking away from the game and has for years. I think the attention is what made him choose to give it a go for this year. How can you not root for this guy? He has to be one of the toughest SOB's to ever put on pads! He came so close last year to putting another ring on his hand and I'm sure that's what he is chasing, not the money.

Since I am on my rant on NFL things, let me be the first to tell Tony Dungy to SHUT UP! You are going to say on National Radio that the NFL does not need someone that uses foul language, but preach that the NFL should allow a dog killer back in the league? Enough! You have made it clear through many of your "thoughts" that it is about race. I wont make it about one. But perhaps he should have looked at his own staff in Tampa and their foul mouths. He never said a word about Lovie, Herm, or that joke of a coach now (who swears nonstop). Yet Ryan gets called out!

Perhaps some more counseling at the Prisons and to your favorite dog murderer will keep the NFL in a safe place. Because that swearing shown on HBO is killing it.

Can't he chase it in another division.. not the NFC North?????? hahaha....
I don't think Favre came back for the extra cash, he has plenty. He is struggling with walking away from the game and has for years. I think the attention is what made him choose to give it a go for this year. How can you not root for this guy? He has to be one of the toughest SOB's to ever put on pads! He came so close last year to putting another ring on his hand and I'm sure that's what he is chasing, not the money.

Since I am on my rant on NFL things, let me be the first to tell Tony Dungy to SHUT UP! You are going to say on National Radio that the NFL does not need someone that uses foul language, but preach that the NFL should allow a dog killer back in the league? Enough! You have made it clear through many of your "thoughts" that it is about race. I wont make it about one. But perhaps he should have looked at his own staff in Tampa and their foul mouths. He never said a word about Lovie, Herm, or that joke of a coach now (who swears nonstop). Yet Ryan gets called out!

Perhaps some more counseling at the Prisons and to your favorite dog murderer will keep the NFL in a safe place. Because that swearing shown on HBO is killing it.

+1 little sick of Dungy

Last edited:

+1, that is exactly how I feel about it.

Favre is back. Good for the NFL and the Vikings.

"I owe it to this organization to give it one more try." and there is my slight issue that JB and I talked about earlier. If he felt he owes the organization, why not honor the 2 year contract and go without the 3 mil pay raise.

Favre is back. Good for the NFL and the Vikings.

"I owe it to this organization to give it one more try." and there is my slight issue that JB and I talked about earlier. If he felt he owes the organization, why not honor the 2 year contract and go without the 3 mil pay raise.

And I will still ask again. HOW IS THAT WORSE THAN A GUY HOLDING OUT? He didnt ask for it. He was given it because they assumed he wanted it.

And I will still ask again. HOW IS THAT WORSE THAN A GUY HOLDING OUT? He didnt ask for it. He was given it because they assumed he wanted it.

haha its not worse...too me it just looks funny. It's just my interpretation of it and how do you know he didn't ask for it?

all of this caught me from SC saying, the vikings are going to give him a pay raise, but that's not why he is coming back, its for the love of the game.

I don't have an issue with most players holding out...sometimes it seems ridiculous. In a case like Revis it is more understandable.

haha its not worse...too me it just looks funny. It's just my interpretation of it and how do you know he didn't ask for it?

So you said you dont have a problem with players holding out, but you have said you have a problem with him getting more.

Both the Vikings and Favre's agent have said he never asked for more money and it was merely there way to try and get him back since they had room. Nobody will ever know the truth, but both sides saying it seems better than the player saying 'screw the team, I need to get mines'.

Im sure I am wrong, but I have to say that it sounds to me more like a Cowboy fan that hates Favre. Im not a fan of his, but the fact is he gives them the best opportunity to win this year. He never said a word all offseason and the media once again tried to turn it into a circus.

I still just dont understand why someone has an issue with this, and yet no issue with a guy saying "screw the contract pay me".

I don't want to :deadhorse: but when you said this did you mean when he retired from the Packers or Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back