Do you prepare differently if you know your opponent?

I play the same no matter what. I'm gonna be loose and find a way to get in your head. Once I know I've got you it will be good natured ribbing the whole time.

How does knowing who you are playing dictate when your aggressive or not?

Strengths and weaknesses. If I know someone struggles on certain types of holes, I know I can play reserved on that type of hole and just go safely for par to still give myself a great shot to win it. On the flip side, if they are a big hitter and we're on a long par 5, I know I need to be a bit more aggressive in match play off the tee to feel like I'm giving myself a chance on that one.

If I don't know who I am playing or what kind of game they possess, I may try to push on a hole I think I can score on, potentially bringing trouble into play, when I could have just played smart and easily beaten their bogey/double. Or I may go into a par 5 with the mindset of making it a 3 shot to the green, and then watch them easily reach in 2. basically putting myself out of the hole right off the bat.

Does that make sense, or am I being stupid?

No. I would change nothing.

I prep by staying in my game and no worrying about specific opponent . old baseball coach once told me, " if you play your best, the scoreboard will take care of its self"

Not in the least. All I got is all I got! I want to give my opponent all I have and if it's a team event I want my partner to KNOW that I gave everything I had too. Knowing who I am playing has zero bearing on that.

JM

No, I only really play against me. Confidence levels change on the state of my game at any given time but that is also an internal issue. I assume we are NOT playing full contact golf as in Caddy Shack II.

No that the pairings have been released for the #thpkickoffclassic I see mind sets may have changed. People start working now that they know who they will face. It made me wonder if knowing your opponent makes you plan differently? Do you prepare differently?

How does knowing who you will face affect your prep?

It kills my game. I worry about what I know they can do and don't focus on what I can do. Took me awhile to realize that this

Strengths and weaknesses. If I know someone struggles on certain types of holes, I know I can play reserved on that type of hole and just go safely for par to still give myself a great shot to win it. On the flip side, if they are a big hitter and we're on a long par 5, I know I need to be a bit more aggressive in match play off the tee to feel like I'm giving myself a chance on that one.

If I don't know who I am playing or what kind of game they possess, I may try to push on a hole I think I can score on, potentially bringing trouble into play, when I could have just played smart and easily beaten their bogey/double. Or I may go into a par 5 with the mindset of making it a 3 shot to the green, and then watch them easily reach in 2. basically putting myself out of the hole right off the bat.

Does that make sense, or am I being stupid?

You're no stupid but you have no control over how well you opponent plays on any given day. That is why you should play the course with the game you brought on that day.

Example: wareagle plays a fade and will hit first into 90% of the holes we played. I won't change my game knowing that. Conversely when I play John in the first round I will be hitting first into most holes. I can't control his game only my game and the outcome. If I try to adapt to his game, I'm going to pull myself out of my natural rhythm.

nope...i cannot control what my opponent does i can only control what I do

I would have to say that the only difference would be if I'm playing against a long-hitter. I tend to swing harder when I'm playing against someone who's a lot longer than I am off the tee, which ruins my game. I don't even try to do it, it just happens. So I would try to negate that before it happens, since I know it's a tendency of mine.

You're no stupid but you have no control over how well you opponent plays on any given day. That is why you should play the course with the game you brought on that day.

Example: wareagle plays a fade and will hit first into 90% of the holes we played. I won't change my game knowing that. Conversely when I play John in the first round I will be hitting first into most holes. I can't control his game only my game and the outcome. If I try to adapt to his game, I'm going to pull myself out of my natural rhythm.

I get what you're saying. But at the same time i go into everyone round with the thought that there will be a few holes where I need to make a decision on whether or not to push things or play conservatively, and knowing my opponent will effect those decisions. It's not going to effect my game in general. Just on those holes.

Hypothetical: You are playing someone you know to be shorter than you and very erratic off the tees, but who is a very good scrambler. You wouldn't consider clubbing down off the tee to make sure your 2nd shots are from fairway? Well, "you" (and players at your level) may be a bad example, as you are really good with driver. But for me, I might spend a little more time that week in prep making sure I had a go to tee shot because I plan to leave the driver in the bag a bit more.

How often to do you play a shorter club off the tee when you play now so you can find the fairway. And how often does this work out for you?

I am not a believer in changing my prep or my course of action based on whom I am playing. I am also not a fan of playing a game I am not used to playing.
Hypothetical: You are playing someone you know to be shorter than you and very erratic off the tees, but who is a very good scrambler. You wouldn't consider clubbing down off the tee to make sure your 2nd shirts are in the fairway? Well, "you" (and players at your level) may be a bad example, as you are really good with driver. But for me, I might spend a little more time that week in prep making sure I had a go to tee shot because I plan to leave the driver in the bag a bit more.

Since I only have the game god gave me, I play all out on every hole no matter who the opponent is. It never fails if you flub the drive but scramble and play smart you could pull out a Par and your opponent could think he has a easy hole and bogey or worst. Long Drivers can get in trouble a lot faster than short hitters and a sound short game wins more matches than 300 yd. Drives. (see old man golf)

Being a short hitter I can hit Driver on almost any Par 4 and definitely any Par 5 and just play the course as it comes, but that said those drives have to be in play to have any chance at scoring. We cannot control bounces or lip outs, etc. so play like you mean it and hope the A, B or C game gets the job done.

Plan doesn't change. Prep doesn't change. The best I can do is get my game in the best I can get it with the limited time I can. That hasn't changed. Knowing who I am playing can serve as extra motivation to work when I wouldn't want to otherwise because I know I have to be at my best.

No. It's me against the course. I can't control my opponent.

If I don't know him I break his Kneecaps:beat-up:.......... If I do know him I have someone else do It :shame:

Other than that all else is pretty much the same.

Ive thought about this quite awhile, and mostly, i say no, I dont prepare differently.

The only way i might prepare differently is mentally. For instance, if Im up against a guy that hits way further than me, I may prepare myself mentally to stay within my game rather than try to match his distance.

Otherwise, the method and timetable i use to prepare for competition are the same.

~Rock

I agree with the majority, I can't play defense so I just play my game as well as I can! No changes!

I do not. I try to play my game. And let the cards fall where they may. If I start worrying about my opponent is doing then it makes it worse for me.

Not me, just play your own game. When you start worrying about what the others players are doing, you just pull yourself away from your game.

Might effect my mental prep, my physical prep not so much. If I'm playing with or against someone really long off the tee, I'll prepare myself to see shots I can't match. If they are a great short game player or putter, I'll prepare myself mentally for some spectacular saves when i think I've got the hole in good shape.

My physical prep is just about what I'm going to try to do, which is just make par as many times as I can.

Might effect my mental prep, my physical prep not so much. If I'm playing with or against someone really long off the tee, I'll prepare myself to see shots I can't match. If they are a great short game player or putter, I'll prepare myself mentally for some spectacular saves when i think I've got the hole in good shape.

My physical prep is just about what I'm going to try to do, which is just make par as many times as I can.

Thanks for that Barry. Common sense, but you just taught me something dude!

JM

Back