The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

Counter tops and carpet installed. One week until closing. I'm so excited right now is ridiculous.

5d895d2239e155b1c266ad48074a2fda.jpg
1fa9e33e039b16efa27ac069643e5678.jpg

Kitchen is still being finished so it's a disaster but will post pictures when completed.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Great looking granite, definitely not standard builder grade!

Agreed, that counter looks sick

Thanks guys. We are really excited

So close! Finish the back splash tomorrow and then small things!

2bcbe8fb2fb5c356a1447bd440861c34.jpg

Making a pit stop on the way home to look at houses. Becoming more real by the day.

So close! Finish the back splash tomorrow and then small things!

2bcbe8fb2fb5c356a1447bd440861c34.jpg

Looks good man, timeless. Good call on the big banks of drawers

Looks good man, timeless. Good call on the big banks of drawers

Thank you! We were worried because the rest of the house is very modern but we wanted a traditional looking kitchen. Will look even better when the cup pulls are installed.

The house that I am moving into has a full basement that was partially finished at one time about 20 years ago, but it hasn't held up very well over the years and needs to be completely redone. We are currently trying to decide on what to do with the floors, which currently have 20 year old carpet over concrete, which obviously has to go. Being in a basement, there is a dehumidifier system already in place, which helps with the typical moisture problems but I'm torn on what to do with the floors.

I would love to just put down laminate, but I'm not sure how it would react to the humidity. The other option is to either have the concrete stripped and stained, which is fairly expensive or should I just go with flooring epoxy and then use some throw rugs?

The house that I am moving into has a full basement that was partially finished at one time about 20 years ago, but it hasn't held up very well over the years and needs to be completely redone. We are currently trying to decide on what to do with the floors, which currently have 20 year old carpet over concrete, which obviously has to go. Being in a basement, there is a dehumidifier system already in place, which helps with the typical moisture problems but I'm torn on what to do with the floors.

I would love to just put down laminate, but I'm not sure how it would react to the humidity. The other option is to either have the concrete stripped and stained, which is fairly expensive or should I just go with flooring epoxy and then use some throw rugs?

What do you plan on using the basement for? What about the foam flooring piece so they can be removed in the event you did have water.
FoamInstallingTile198.jpg

Can always use some throw rugs over that

What do you plan on using the basement for? What about the foam flooring piece so they can be removed in the event you did have water.
FoamInstallingTile198.jpg

Can always use some throw rugs over that

The stairs cut the basement pretty much in half, so one half will likely be a home theater. The basement has never actually flooded or had any standing water in it, but it is humid down there. Hopefully once we move in and run the dehumidifier constantly, there won't be so much moisture in the air, but I'll have to see once I'm actually there for a few weeks.

I would love to eventually have a golf simulator in the other side, but that'll probably have to wait until I get some of the wife's projects finished. Even though it has brand new carpet in it, she wants hardwood floors.

Amazing kitchen! Love it

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I'm from FL so not versed in all of the problems of a basement floor, but why not tile?

Great looking kitchen JRod

Well I don't know if I ever updated here in this thread. We've been in the house for a year now. In my opinion I didn't enjoy the building process, there's a lot I'd change and now my wife is thinking this isn't our forever home. But it's nice for our first house.
f60b52698872b80530b64bb240138b72.jpg
86eca8c98aac13e5bf511f444fb5662a.jpg
59371c809591df5a3800e4b769277411.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've already run in to small things I would change and we haven't even moved in yet!

Or builder has been awesome to work with.

That's a gorgeous looking house I love the wooded area.

The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

I've already run in to small things I would change and we haven't even moved in yet!

Or builder has been awesome to work with.

That's a gorgeous looking house I love the wooded area.

Ya there is just small things, like I have a massive walk in closet but my laundry room that backs up to it is small. I would've preferred to cut the closet space down and had a larger laundry area. Some other things also. We built with the #1 Builder in Michigan but I'm starting to think that it's because of the quantity of houses they build. I mean don't get me wrong I love the house but there are just somethings that would be better with a smaller builder.

Do you a walkout basement? Reason I ask, you might check how level the concrete is, you might need to level it some before you can do anything to begin with.

I'd look at putting down a hardwood laminate. I thought I'd want actual hardwood, but once I got it down, it looks and feels (for the most part) like actual hardwood, and if you buy the right kind, you can use it in a basement without issues.

What I can say is this, laminate floors are cold, and I'm sure they are even colder in the basement. We put laminate floors throughout our whole down stairs, and I swear I can't walk around the house with no socks on. Stained concrete is nice you can pretty much get any design you want, but as you said it's pricey. Is there any certain reason you don't want carpet in the basement?

FYI...

FYI...

Fellas, my wife does a lot of one on one work with a contractor in Kansas City. She went to Kansas State and got her degree in Interior Design. She's worked with two different companies over here career, before being a stay at home Mom. She did Kitchen and Bath design while we were living in KC, even had two designs make it into magazine's in one year.

Now, she's working with a different company in KC and doing all of their floor plans, layouts and 3D rendering for them. She uses Chief Architect and it's pretty badass what all she can do.

So, if anyone of you want some help with some things, let me know. She doesn't charge much on a per hour basis, but the work she does is awesome!

Last edited:
I'll have her send me a few side by side pictures of some of her 3D renderings of plans she's done recently along with the finished product picture. Give me a few.

Here is a 3D rendering she did for a basement bar area....

Example 1

and here is the actual picture

13903RosehillLn_03.jpg

Here are a few other 3D renderings for a kitchen she's working on...

View 1

View 2

Same kitchen but different paint, cooktop, vent and placement of microwave

Thinking about looking for a new home. Been in my home 10 years now and have a bunch of equity. Let the browsing begin. Don't want to move any further from work than I already am.

Do you a walkout basement? Reason I ask, you might check how level the concrete is, you might need to level it some before you can do anything to begin with.

I'd look at putting down a hardwood laminate. I thought I'd want actual hardwood, but once I got it down, it looks and feels (for the most part) like actual hardwood, and if you buy the right kind, you can use it in a basement without issues.

It is a walkout basement and from what I can tell initially, it's pretty level although it does have a couple spots that would have to be touched up. I thought about laminate, but since I've put them in the house I live in now, I have second thoughts about them and wish I would have spent the extra money for hardwood.

What I can say is this, laminate floors are cold, and I'm sure they are even colder in the basement. We put laminate floors throughout our whole down stairs, and I swear I can't walk around the house with no socks on. Stained concrete is nice you can pretty much get any design you want, but as you said it's pricey. Is there any certain reason you don't want carpet in the basement?

I was worried about mold/mildew from the humidity. I've been in basements that just had that musty smell in them and am trying to avoid soft surfaces as much as possible because of that.

Any reviews on this new Rocket Mortgage via Quicken Loans? There has been a bunch of advertising on it and it is all pretty much completed online. Send them all of the normal mortgage information needed and you are issued an approval in like 10 minutes. Ran through an underwriting process and everything like a normal pre-approval and stuff, but it is all done online.

My realtor recommended it for us since we are kicking off the home search. She seemed to like the ease of use and had some positive feedback from other home buyers.

Back