Lol, I just had a situation like this earlier this week. 65 yards from the pin, front hole location. A tree was overhanging just next to my line, probably a good 60-90 feet up. Thought I could get a LW just next to the tree and land it 3-4 feet to the other side of the pin. The result, the ball got to close and clipped the tree, leaving me an even more difficult 25 yd pitch out of rough. In retrospect, I should have been more conservative, realize I couldnt pin hunt from that location, and hit a 3/4 SW or 1/2 PW under the high branches into the middle of the green and two putt for par.

Take a step back from the situation and think about your options, and which option has the highest percentage of allowing you to save par. If there's an option with low risk that allows you to chase a birdie, go for it. But if that birdie option is risky, it quickly turns into the bogey option.

Recently switched from a standard swing to a pitch and run from inside 75 and it's worked wonders... Not only is it more accurate, it's more consistent.

I still use my 56*, but I close the face before I swing to help get me down on the ball and not get under it as much.

Just me personally..

56 Niblick. That's about 60-70 yards for me on a full swing. Less than that and I use the 60* wedge. That is if there is not a good run to the hole. If I can run it then 37* Niblick or even a hybrid is sometimes a better choice.

Wow, there are so many options. Usually fromm 100-30 I use my PW, I play the distance by feel. Anything closer and its my gap and sand wedge.

As with most, it just depends on the pin placement, hazards, etc.

If the pin is back and there is plenty of room to roll a lower running pitch with a 8-PW is in order. If there is a hazard to carry or a closer pin then a higher lofted SW or LW is in order. You can hit differently from the fairway than the rough on some of those swings, too. But I only play a true flop if I have to get over a trap to a tight pin and often only from the rough - from the fairway I might go for a spinning pitch shot instead. And there's always the Texas wedge or hybrid bump-n-run from the fairway near the green if the surface rolls well and you don't have a lot of elevation to worry about.

I like to follow Sponebob Squarepants and use my imagination.

tumblr_l6yfxavjQs1qcke76o1_500.jpg

I used my 50* CG-14 for almost every chip, don't even know why I am still carying my 54* CG-15. Although I have struggled distance wise as well from about 75-100 and have started to use a 7-iron to chip and run. Takes some practice to get the feel right but it has worked for me so far this season.

Great answers everyone. Hawk, I am glad we are in the same group at the outing, I think I will learn a few things from you.

I use my 60* lob wedge for most shots 100 yds and in... but when I am 35 yds and in... depends on the fringe and rough, could use anything from the 60* to the 9 iron for a bump and run....

I use my 60* lob wedge for most shots 100 yds and in... but when I am 35 yds and in... depends on the fringe and rough, could use anything from the 60* to the 9 iron for a bump and run....

That's just it for me, it all depends on the amount or type of fringe and face if I will flop it with the 60*, lob it with the 56*, or bump and run (once again with the 56*). In most situations my go to club is the 56* because I can hit most types of shots with it. For a bump and run I move the ball way back in my stance which de-lofts it and just make a putt. 60 - 65 yards is a full 60* for me, while 95 yards is a full sw. I can push each a bit further or choke up on each for shorter shots.

Just off the green I go back to my 56* and the putting stroke. I feel I have a chance to make anything with that shot within 15 feet, but I practice it just as much as my putting. Any shot I can open the blade on is my favorite shot, but often times my worst shot, lol.

Great answers everyone. Hawk, I am glad we are in the same group at the outing, I think I will learn a few things from you.

I'd be glad to show you my way of doing it. It works for me, if I execute hehehe.

man i go anywhere from 60 to 4i... ive even bumped a lil one up with my driver screwing around on a practice round and it actually worked...

Our home course has these weird giant green bush/trees that are 15 ft high but with 1 ft of ground clearance underneath. They are dotted around the course, usually surrounding the few greens that are too close to someone's back yard. Anyways me and my buddies have a little chuckle when we see the tourists/ non locals try these tough flop shots when ever they get stuck behing one of those bushes. My buddy has got that 20-30yard DRIVER bump and run down cold.

This is when I use my 64 or 68 wedge. I use the 73* at 20 yards with a full swing, which is totally unneccesary.

I forgot to add that I am currently looking at an 80* wedge on eBay. Lol

You'll have to let us know when you lay yourself out with a wedge shot to the chin. :D

lol come on clam you trying to invent backwards golf!

60* wedge (5* bounce). I love to push my hands forward, play the ball back in my stance...and throw it low with a ton of spin. If hit right, it looks oooooohhhh so pretty to see a low shot come in with a ton of skuzz and take one hop and stop.

75 yards is a full 58* for me. 30-50 yards, I do a nice easy pitch shot with my 54*. 60 yards is the distance where I close my eyes and pray lol.

I hit my wedges and irons shorter and high. i can't seem to hit a 56degree more and about 40 yards. Any more than that i'll either pitch or hit a knock down PW.

I never did say what I used so here goes. I believe I have hit most every club in my bag from inside 70 yards. It all depends on what type of shot is needed and what club will do that job. So far this month, as well as I can recall, I have used my putter, lw, sw, gw, pw, 9i, 8i and my 4i hybrid. But from 30-70 yards I usually will use either a lw, sw, or my gap wedge. I rarely hit a full shot here just 1/2 or 3/4 shots.

From the 30-75 range the 56* is by far the most used club for me. If its an open front green to a mid to rear pin I also like to take a half or so PW and throw it in there nice and spinny. I to from 100 yards and in have used ALMOST every club in the bag. These are easily my favorite shots to play on the course. Lots of interesting ways on how people play these shots on this thread. What works for 1 might not suit someone elses game.

Back