It used to be you had to go to school, graduate with a degree in Air traffic management, take the ATSAT (Air traffic SAT.. .got a perfect score, one of 4 in country so was happy with that) and then get an offer from a location then oak city..... after the hiring freeze they changed it so you don't need a degree, just need to apply, and take a biographical questionnaire, be approved, then take the ATSAT (99% this time no perfec:( this time), pass that, then do a background check, medical eal, psych eval, then oak city, from there top of class gets first pick, second gets second pick, etc

Congratulations. Always wondered how you'd go about becoming an ATC.

Congrats, dwchockey13! Always exciting when your career starts to take off...and it is clear for take off. :D

It used to be you had to go to school, graduate with a degree in Air traffic management, take the ATSAT (Air traffic SAT.. .got a perfect score, one of 4 in country so was happy with that) and then get an offer from a location then oak city..... after the hiring freeze they changed it so you don't need a degree, just need to apply, and take a biographical questionnaire, be approved, then take the ATSAT (99% this time no perfec:( this time), pass that, then do a background check, medical eal, psych eval, then oak city, from there top of class gets first pick, second gets second pick, etc

Where would you like to end up? What city/airport?

Awesome man, congrats!

Awesome! Congrats!

That is absolutely great news! Congrats!

I would love to be at Tampa international or st. pete clearwater, I love florida and the golf here is amazing, but what I was accepted for and tested higher in (tracon) is not offered there, I can transfer there after 5 years which I might do, but out of the facilities available... I'm thinking somewhere in California like LA or San Francisco. The way it works out is when I graduate, say there are 15 in my class... they will take the top 15 needed locations as your options to choose from.
Where would you like to end up? What city/airport?

Finally passed all my background, medical, aptitude tests, etc for the FAA, got the official word yesterday that I am accepted into the FAA training academy to become an air traffic controller! in october I will be leaving for 18 weeks for Oklahoma city for training, and then off to where my career takes me!:banana::banana::banana::banana:
Congrats.

Reminds me of a story my wife told me once. She works for a local bank and a guy called in to check his balance or something and the she hears "clear for landing on runway 3" and thinks WTH? He was an ATC I'm assuming for a smaller airport. She's thinking maybe we should get off the phone and you take care of the planes.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Congrats!

well done! love seeing hard work and determination pay off for somebody.

Congrats.

Reminds me of a story my wife told me once. She works for a local bank and a guy called in to check his balance or something and the she hears "clear for landing on runway 3" and thinks WTH? He was an ATC I'm assuming for a smaller airport. She's thinking maybe we should get off the phone and you take care of the planes.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
haha, multi tasking at it's finest... but yeah we are no longer allowed phones in the tower... or kids on microphones... I'm sure you've all heard the story of the kid clearing a plane to land... properly I might add to

haha, multi tasking at it's finest... but yeah we are no longer allowed phones in the tower... or kids on microphones... I'm sure you've all heard the story of the kid clearing a plane to land... properly I might add to

Nope. Do tell.

Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!

Congrats! Study hard!

Congrats! Hard work paying off.

Hell yeah man that is awesome news. :drinks::drinks:

Congratulations man, it's always nice to see someone excited about the career path they are on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats buddy!

Thanks for the link...wow, that's crazy. Guess you already know one thing NEVER to do!
Absolutely lol, I just find it funny they blew it out of proportion, the pilots loved it, and there are multiple redundancies to making sure nothing bad happened, like his father being on the mic at the same time. Before that happened we were allowed to go up to the tower to observe, and I was able to clear a few planes myself... after we were only allowed to go up, observe, and shut up... but damn what a view it was to be up in Boston tower watching the guys work.

Great news, Congrats!

Congrats! Great meeting you and your father!

Back