Will Jordan Spieth Surpass Tiger Woods Outside Of Golf?

Tiger made $121M in 2009 right before his extra extramarital affairs. In 2000 he made $49M and he still made $55M last year.

JS made $53M in 2015. He will need more than a Coke deal to get into that $100M a year club. Will be interesting to watch.

Absolutely. In large part because he won't "screw up" 10 years down the road and bring shame to his sponsors forcing him to be dropped.

Im pretty sure no expected TW to fall off his pedestal. Never say never!

That being said if I have to base it on his play over the past two years, yes. He is the total package and has those Tom Brady rugged good looks.

No, because I still don't see Spieth bringing in the casual fan like Tiger did, plus Spieth isn't far-and-away the best player in the game like Tiger was in his prime.

Im you could build an argument that he better than tiger out of gates against deeper fields and only getting better. We have no seen his prime as of yet.

This is a tough one. Tiger had appeal across so much outside of golf. I think it's too early to tell if Spieth can approach that. Two more years like last year and we'll have a better idea.

No. Tiger was a cultural phenomenon who transcended golf. Spieth will do extremely well but he won't have the appeal that advertisers counted on with Tiger.

No, because I still don't see Spieth bringing in the casual fan like Tiger did, plus Spieth isn't far-and-away the best player in the game like Tiger was in his prime.

My thoughts summed up pretty much.

Yes, without any doubt.

It is possible. While I agree with Ary that Spieth doesn't bring in the casual fan, there is so much more money available to golfers, he could eventually pull enough endorsements to hit that number.

Time will tell, hard to live up to tiger at 22.

Maybe. Spieth has to compete with Rory. Tiger was a global brand, but I would say Rory rules Europe right now.

I hope he does, but given the demographics Tiger was able to bring into the mix with advertisers compared to Jordan, I don't think he will quite get there. Now, I think he can easily reach or exceed Mickelson territory, but I wouldn't put him into Tiger's area unless he pulls of a Grand Slam or some major historical performance.

I hope he does, but given the demographics Tiger was able to bring into the mix with advertisers compared to Jordan, I don't think he will quite get there. Now, I think he can easily reach or exceed Mickelson territory, but I wouldn't put him into Tiger's area unless he pulls of a Grand Slam or some major historical performance.

Yeah I expect him to be in Phil territory, although part of that is the reason Mickelson went with advertisers (forgoing apparel, etc).

Tiger made a lot of money with long term endorsements and iirc was around $50-60mil/year. I don't know if Jordan can bring in that kind of money for as long as tiger did.

Yeah I expect him to be in Phil territory, although part of that is the reason Mickelson went with advertisers (forgoing apparel, etc).

Jordan's allure has already impressed me based on the improved quantity and placement I have seen of Under Armor products in golf stores (not sure if sales back that up, or to what quantity). With luxury brands (like a Rolex or Tag Heuer), I could see him having an advertising pull, but I'll be interested to see how Coke utilizes him. The releases were putting him in the same breath as LeBron and Taylor Swift for Coke, and I just don't see that level of pull.

No. Tiger was a cultural phenomenon who transcended golf. Spieth will do extremely well but he won't have the appeal that advertisers counted on with Tiger.

My thoughts as well Fuppy.

Jordan's allure has already impressed me based on the improved quantity and placement I have seen of Under Armor products in golf stores (not sure if sales back that up, or to what quantity). With luxury brands (like a Rolex or Tag Heuer), I could see him having an advertising pull, but I'll be interested to see how Coke utilizes him. The releases were putting him in the same breath as LeBron and Taylor Swift for Coke, and I just don't see that level of pull.

Here is a stat.
When he won the Masters, UA golf apparel increased something like 300%.
Now of course one has to look at their small sales prior to that, but that is a big number.
In my opinion they have missed a number of times (including on footwear, but they know they need to get it better before releasing), but they are ready to make a big push.

I, too, am interested in the Coke deal, from a pure numbers stand point. His Rolex deal is a solid one too.

Honest answer for me is I don't know. Whatever he is able to do to approach or surpass TW on the endorsement side depends on things we don't know yet for sure. Will he remain healthy? Stay out of trouble? Continue to play at such a high level? One thing is for sure, whatever level he reaches will be due in large part to the precedent that was set by TW that advertisers will look at.

Jordan is currently positioned to do extremely well, but there is just so much that is unknown as of yet and watching how sponsors etc. respond to his performance over the next few years is going to be very interesting. FWIW, I REALLY hope he does! I'm a big fan.

JM

Yes, in strict numbers terms because I think the game will keep growing.

But, I don't think it'll have the same effect because I don't think he'll be as singularly dominant as Tiger was. Nike already has their large warchest behind Rory, TaylorMade has Jason, Cobra/Puma has Rickie. There are more marketable young players right now than during Tiger's most successful years.

Spieth looks very promising right now and has a lot of character appeal. If he continues to dominate, I think he has the potential to pass Tiger. With social media, an ever increasing competitive field and life changes Spieth will face as he gets older and richer, the odds are unfortunately against him having the staying power Tiger did. But he has as good of a chance than anyone else we've seen thus far.

No. After watching the last tournament Tiger played and seeing how the fans acted when he played decent says it all. Even when JS plays out of his mind the fans aren't crazy like if it were Tiger. Tiger will be hard to ever replace. At one point I feel like he was bigger than the game itself. Not saying he was but it felt like it at times.

I say no. Part of all of the attention TW got was because he helped break down barriers and increased the visibility of golf to a new demographic. I doubt Jordan Spieth will ever be the household name Tiger Woods is.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I think with his age he does, and if his play goes to Tiger Woods level, it'll happen for sure off the course.

I think worldwide Jordan will not be the household name Tiger is. Tiger was fun to watch for everyone, including and especially casual fans. He was as likely to play the entire round from trees and rough as he was to play from the fairway. When he was hot you could tell by looking at his face, if he wasn't you could tell that too. Jordan is not that type of player. I'm not saying he's not a great player. He is, and I think he's got a chance to stand at the top of the game. That does not make him fun to watch. Interesting to follow? Certainly. Will Jordan make the casual fan turn on Thursday golf? Nope. We've all admired his game, but the one common comment is that he is very even keeled, win or lose he's pretty level. Very little drama in his wins or his loses, very little entertainment value for the masses. So I think that limits his brand influence.

Now there is a scenario where I think you might be able to get the casual fan interested enough to watch more golf. If the competition between the young guns heats up the way we all seem to think (and hope) it will, the company that can figure out how to get Jordan, Rory, Jason (and maybe Ricky) in the same ticket and play the back and forth drama of them all reaching for the #1 spot could have a chance to make some money (or at least spend a metric ton of $$$$). That I think could play well for years, and I think that could take all of their brands beyond golf and blow them all up to household names worldwide.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Nope...

Not even close.

Back