Will Jordan Spieth Surpass Tiger Woods Outside Of Golf?

No. The main reason because of the parity and variety of marketable players on tour.

You do realize he was a few shots away from playing for the grand slam last year?
Key word there is was... Then Zach Johnson and Jason Day won the 2 legs. Don't get me wrong he's a great player. But just there are so many talented players out there...

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Key word there is was... Then Zach Johnson and Jason Day won the 2 legs. Don't get me wrong he's a great player. But just there are so many talented players out there...

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

You get my point. He's capable of great things, things we may not have even seen yet. Rory and Jason being at the top of their game is going to be great for Jordan.

I don't think Spieth will be the phenomenon that Tiger was. For no other reason than that Jordan Spieth is white.

I don't think Spieth will be the phenomenon that Tiger was. For no other reason than that Jordan Spieth is white.

Crazy thing is, I don't think he needs to be a phenomenon to get close to what Tiger made.

not a chance

Going on name alone, Jordan just doesn't cut it. Tiger is a much cooler name haha when I was little I thought he was so damn cool.

Crazy thing is, I don't think he needs to be a phenomenon to get close to what Tiger made.
You're probably right. I will also add, I think Tiger was raised to be an asshat and to step on throats to succeed. I don't think Jordan was raised the same way.

I'm not sure Jordan has the cultural cross over appeal Tiger has/had. He drew people In that never thought about golf.

With that said Jordan has mass appeal right now and with his play is becoming a household name. Time will tell if more companies will come calling because he can be a great brand ambassador, but I don't see Tiger numbers.

There's still a small part of me that's just waiting for Jordan's luck to run out. It's unwarranted and unfair for sure as he's proven his game has plenty of staying power, but I still can't shake that feeling.

I don't think he will make more than Tiger but he eventually will be in that same realm. I'm sure Tiger is still bringing in solid funds even while injured and on the back nine of his career.

No.

He will not.

Tiger is/was Tiger.

Spieth will always be the guy who is trying to be "The New Tiger."

I am a Spieth fan, but just calling it like I see it.

Yes because I think the $$$$ amounts are going to keep getting higher and higher.

However I don't think he reaches the pure recognition factor that Woods has.

Yes because I think the $$$$ amounts are going to keep getting higher and higher.

I think that's what I was trying to say, Tiger was recognized because he was Tiger. Spieth might make more cash, but Tiger is Tiger.

It will always be, "Who is the next Tiger?"

Kind of like, "Who is the next Jordan?"

I think that's what I was trying to say, Tiger was recognized because he was Tiger. Spieth might make more cash, but Tiger is Tiger.

It will always be, "Who is the next Tiger?"

Kind of like, "Who is the next Jordan?"
Agreed.

In the answer to the original question...no, I don't think he will. Tiger Woods the brand was a perfect storm of an economic boom taking place alongside a never before seen media and technological reach (cable TV, sport-specific channels, the advent of the Internet) at a time when race relations were perfect for a black man to break into a traditionally white sport. There was so much that culturally went right for Tiger that he had zero control over but still reaped the benefits from.

Jordan is a very nice boy from a part of the country where we expect boys to be nice, playing some very good golf and getting some big sponsors. He might do it for awhile. But circumstances way outside of his control and golf's control preclude him from being the cultural touchstone that Tiger was in the late 90's to mid 2000's.

Even if Spieth gets to 17 majors before he's 34 years old, the media will still be writing articles about what might have been with Tiger. They'll make the argument that if he had spent more of his career with 21st century tech, or not bouncing around swing coaches, or some other new angle...Tiger is what got a lot of people into golf, and that includes the media. He'll be somewhere between the wistful memory and the stain that won't wash out of the golf landscape's favorite polo.

Yes, in strict numbers terms because I think the game will keep growing.

But, I don't think it'll have the same effect because I don't think he'll be as singularly dominant as Tiger was. Nike already has their large warchest behind Rory, TaylorMade has Jason, Cobra/Puma has Rickie. There are more marketable young players right now than during Tiger's most successful years.

I agree. If it weren't for Rory and Ricky I think we would see him surpass Tiger.

Also, I think the Tiger situation has sponsors scared to put so much weight on one individual. I would be too, no one is perfect.

Really? Isn't TV viewership dropping quite a bit while the golfing industry as a whole is suffering?

I think in the modern society of instant gratification golf will continue to go backwards (unless pace of play issues are taken seriously) which will lead to smaller purses and fewer endorsements. And, I'm alone on this, he will fizzle sooner than later. I see him as more of a Donald or Kuchar (I know he has already waaaaay ahead of both but, it's how I personally view him) and this hot streak will slow. He could win a ton but unless he wins in Tiger fashion with a dominant perfomance (which Rory seems much more likely) I don't think he will generate the buzz to grasp the non-golfers.

Career wise, difficult to say. But I think for a single year he definitely will. I see him finishing at least in the top 5 earners of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Career wise, difficult to say. But I think for a single year he definitely will. I see him finishing at least in the top 5 earners of all time.

More than $122 mill in a single year?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

More than $122 mill in a single year?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I can see it happening. Whether for him or Mcilroy it'll happen sooner or later.

I'll guess yes, at least for surpassing Tiger in inflation adjusted career earnings. I do like Spieth's chances of winning a major after the age of 32, something Tiger hasn't done. I'm fairly confident Spieth will soon be earning $60 million a year and could easily keep that up for at least 15 years.

For sure he can surpass Tiger in his other than golf business.

I don't think so. Tiger was in the right place and right time. Although I'm a huge fan of Jordan's I think it is unlikely due to timing not talent.

Back