2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone do any swimming here for Cardio? It has been awhile since I have done any swimming for endurance/calorie burning, but my gym has a full size olympic pool. Thoughts?
I did a little of it last fall for the first time in years. I didn't hate it as bad as I used to, and will likely do more of it. Can get a bit tedious since I cannot play any music on headphones to help get through it. But it was a lot better on the joints than running.

I will say the only time I feared for my life working out was doing an open water swim in a triathlon. Swimming across Lake Carolyn in Las Colinas getting kicked in the head and people swimming over you was no fun.

Swimming is the _best_ cardio. Work in some length sprints, like the last leg of a 100m, and you're good to go.
My only problem with swimming is the hyper chlorinated water at most pools. I have some bad dandruff from my 15 years of daily pool existence.
Does anyone do any swimming here for Cardio? It has been awhile since I have done any swimming for endurance/calorie burning, but my gym has a full size olympic pool. Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Oh, but you can. Bluetooth headsets for swimmers exist and are definitely worth it.

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/313293/the-best-waterproof-headphones

I did a little of it last fall for the first time in years. I didn't hate it as bad as I used to, and will likely do more of it. Can get a bit tedious since I cannot play any music on headphones to help get through it. But it was a lot better on the joints than running.

My wife swears by it if you have access to a pool. She's a certified athletic trainer and has a minor is exercise physiology and is certified in personal training as well. She says for straight up cardio if you're swimming to work out and push yourself it's just about the best full body workout you can do.
All the guys I know who were swimmers in hs or college were freaking ripped lol it's a workout for sure.

The Sony ones look the best since they're am all-in-one.
Need to look into those.

The Sony ones look the best since they're am all-in-one.

If I am using ITunes, how much range do I have from my phone?

Infinite. The Sony ones have space for 900 mp3s (probably 162kbit).
If I am using ITunes, how much range do I have from my phone?

Infinite. The Sony ones have space for 900 mp3s (probably 162kbit).

Infinite range???

Infinite range???

The music is stored on the device, not streaming via bluetooth.

Weights tonight, and I was dreading it after being really sore from running yesterday. Squats progressed, though the last rep was brutal/ugly. Press went well and I got to use my new wrist wraps that I think will be nice to have for press, but moreso for bench. Last was cleans, and I had been watching some videos on form and something seemed to click because tonight was the first time it felt like I was doing it right and not just flailing around. Overall a good workout that has me pretty tired, now the question of whether or not I want to run tomorrow; right now the answer is no!

The music is stored on the device, not streaming via bluetooth.

Weights tonight, and I was dreading it after being really sore from running yesterday. Squats progressed, though the last rep was brutal/ugly. Press went well and I got to use my new wrist wraps that I think will be nice to have for press, but moreso for bench. Last was cleans, and I had been watching some videos on form and something seemed to click because tonight was the first time it felt like I was doing it right and not just flailing around. Overall a good workout that has me pretty tired, now the question of whether or not I want to run tomorrow; right now the answer is no!

Don't let perfection get in the way of good enough.

Well I'm back to lifting on my own. I did arms and shoulders tonight

Ran 8:00 mile

Curls 3x8
Tricep cable pulls 3x8
Overhead press 3x6
Barbell shoulder raises(idk what they call them) 3x6
Shoulder shrugs 3x8

Every set got a core workout in between. I did planks,side planks, hanging knee raises, and Landmine twist.

At the end I did 10 pull ups and 10 chin ups.

I also established my deadlift max. Idk if it was best to do it the night after doing deadlifts but I managed to do 315x5 with a one rep max of 362(I assume those calculators are pretty close)

So I'd say a pretty good night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm back to lifting on my own. I did arms and shoulders tonight

Ran 8:00 mile

Curls 3x8
Tricep cable pulls 3x8
Overhead press 3x6
Barbell shoulder raises(idk what they call them) 3x6
Shoulder shrugs 3x8

Every set got a core workout in between. I did planks,side planks, hanging knee raises, and Landmine twist.

At the end I did 10 pull ups and 10 chin ups.

I also established my deadlift max. Idk if it was best to do it the night after doing deadlifts but I managed to do 315x5 with a one rep max of 362(I assume those calculators are pretty close)

So I'd say a pretty good night.

Damn dude 315x5 is awesome!! Whats your current ht/wt if you don't mind me asking? Think you posted them but I forgot. Im slowly climbing and hope to be up around there by next year.

Damn dude 315x5 is awesome!! Whats your current ht/wt if you don't mind me asking? Think you posted them but I forgot. Im slowly climbing and hope to be up around there by next year.

5'11" and I stepped on the scale before going to the gym I was at 182lbs

5'11" and I stepped on the scale before going to the gym I was at 182lbs

Gotcha thats what I had in my head actually haha. Almost 2x your bw for deads man, congrats thats awesome! I just started but 1.25 is my target for now.

Gotcha thats what I had in my head actually haha. Almost 2x your bw for deads man, congrats thats awesome! I just started but 1.25 is my target for now.

I was pleasantly surprised. Going Into the the gym I thought I just wanted to put up 315x1 and I'd be happy, but I just kept going, lol. I wanted to establish my max so I can start lifting off of that, otherwise I was just aimlessly guess on a weight.

I was pleasantly surprised. Going Into the the gym I thought I just wanted to put up 315x1 and I'd be happy, but I just kept going, lol. I wanted to establish my max so I can start lifting off of that, otherwise I was just aimlessly guess on a weight.

No doubt, establishing max isnt a bad thing. Ill be doing that at some point.

3.7 miles in 35 minutes on the elliptical and then did dips and chin ups (with assistance). Crushed cardio this week. Hoping to get out and walk 18 this weekend as well.

3.7 miles in 35 minutes on the elliptical and then did dips and chin ups (with assistance). Crushed cardio this week. Hoping to get out and walk 18 this weekend as well.
Nice dude! Keep at it!

Tonight was one of those nights you need to have occasionally to keep in the right mindset and get to the gym. The little devil on one shoulder kept whispering "you could take a day off and go tomorrow". Fortunately, the angel on the other shoulder jumped over and beat him to a pulp and said "just go and at least do a light workout". So I go, and get there, look at the bar and think "well you're here might as well get your work in". So I did. Did my regular scheduled workout that included deadlift/pushup supersets, presses, rows, and farmer's walks. You gotta say screw it, I have to go and go. Your instincts will take over from there.

Last edited:
Second workout in 12 hours, I am beat. Just worked chest today

3x8 bench
3x8 incline Dumbbell press
3x8 dumbbell chest flys

Then I went to establish my squat max. It was slightly embarrassing. After a warmup set of 225, I for some reason decided to put 275 on the bar. I'm glad I made sure my safety bars were at the right height.

I ended up putting up 245x4(1 rep max of 272), so it makes me wonder if it was a confidence thing with having that much weight on my back with no spotter. But it gives me a good starting number at least.

Second workout in 12 hours, I am beat. Just worked chest today

3x8 bench
3x8 incline Dumbbell press
3x8 dumbbell chest flys

Then I went to establish my squat max. It was slightly embarrassing. After a warmup set of 225, I for some reason decided to put 275 on the bar. I'm glad I made sure my safety bars were at the right height.

I ended up putting up 245x4(1 rep max of 272), so it makes me wonder if it was a confidence thing with having that much weight on my back with no spotter. But it gives me a good starting number at least.

Good starting number? What are you thinking of running.

A good starting number as in a have a number to work off of. I'm making it my goal to have maxes for my lifts so I can start working off those numbers

I guess I'm not sure what the question is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back