approaches from fairway bunkers

In one of those skills competitions I remember Craig Stadler telling Ty Tryon to play the ball back in his stance and keep the lower body quiet.

approaches from fairway bunkers

While I can't chip out of a green side bunker to save my life, I've had decent luck hitting mid-long irons out of fairway bunkers. I think it is probably because, like others have said, I just play it like a shot from the fairway. 5, 6, and 7 iron are my bread and butter clubs anyway, so that probably helps as well.

Last edited:
I take a short enough club to clear any lip, even if that club won't get me to the green (I dislike courses designed with high lips on fairway bunkers, because I don't feel that a FW bunker should automatically be a one shot penalty).

As said we have a ton of FWB's and some have worse lips than others.
Bu there is one that is just terrible for a FWB. Its on the 17th par5 The hole has a left side bunker only about 10 yards round. The fairway runs down fairly steeply from right side to left side so you really want to be very left side even if in the first cut rough. A beauty hit dead center can actually end up bouncing/rolling down to the left too far and under a tree canopy. This is why this bunker is on the left...lol. Its not big but its deep and has a high front lip. I've had some my very best drives on this hole but it seems like its either great shot or bunker since you basically have to aim at the right side of this bunker and barely miss it or carry it and I have done both often enough. But a little mishit (a bit short on distance and/or direction) and in it goes on the fly. If it isn't buried its often up front and the darn bunker has a big front lip and mound. Too often (even with favorable lie and stance) you have no par5 second shot but to just pitch it out over the front. Its too high. I think that's a bit much since the hole is asking you stay left. I don't mind the strategically placed bunker on the left, but imo at least offer something more playable for a par 5 tee shot bunker right where they want you to aim. Its quite the annoying little bunker...lol

I am aweful from fairway bunkers. Just aweful.

Lots of really good advice in here already. It's not a shot to fear provided you respect your lie, lip, and stance. One of the ranges I frequent a couple/few times a week put in a practice fairway bunker a few months back. Each session, I usually hit about a dozen balls from it to targets out on the range so I've been able to figure out what works best for me. Provided I have a good stance and lie and no lip issues, my keys are to not dig my feet in, choke down about 3/4 inch, take 1 more club, focus eyes on a spot about 1/2 ahead of the ball to shallow things out, swing with a quiet lower body, and make sure I finish the swing. I'm comfortable playing anything from my 16.5*H down thanks to the opportunity to practice these shots.

Last edited:
Back in the stance, quiet legs, extra club.
This.

Depends on the lie and possible danger around the green as well. If the green is heavily guarded I might just take a lofted club and lay it up as far as possible.

Back