How many is TOO many?

cyoung2ty

Reaction score
Handicap
First... let me start by saying that I understand that this comes with playing the game. That said... I have a question that I wouldn't mind some feedback on.

When you play, how many ball marks do you repair (on average) on each green before you get into your putting routine?

The reason I ask is... I played a tournament round on Saturday and I repaired at least 3, but usually 5 or more ball marks on each green throughout the day.

As I had mentioned in my previous thread... I played like garbage. I hit only 1 green in regulation, so... it's not like I was MAKING ball marks with my chips and pitches from inside 20 yards all day long... but I still spent a good deal of time repairing marks that were either in my line or somewhere around my ball prior to putting.

It sincerely looked like the course had been pounded by a hail storm the night before or something. I've never played a course with greens so torn up before.

I putted like crap, and it's not because the ball marks had an effect on me. I repaired all (or most of) the marks between my ball and the hole. I think it was more because I would spend 45 seconds to a minute (or more) repairing the greens, and then I'd rush my routine and either blow the putt way beyond the hole or leave it 7+ feet short.

So... how many repairs is too many for you? I've heard people say they repair their mark and one other (on average)... but when the greens look as bad as they did that day... I just had a tough time not taking some time to fix them up.

PS - I'm one of those 17+ handicap players that LOVES to pull out my repair tool after I've hit a green. It happens about 5 times per round for me and it makes me feel like that is my reward for hitting a good shot. Still... I don't necessarily enjoy cleaning up after others!

too many people playing today have never been taught good golf course etiquette...they don't fix ball marks, rake bunkers, fill divots and I have seen too many drive carts right up to the edge of the green.

I'll repair as many as I can around where my ball is without holding up the group. It's a pet peeve of mine, so it's the first thing I look for walking up to the green.

I will usually repair 2-3 each time on the green. I rarely make a mark and I agree with you, when I do it is like a reward to get to repair it.

Typically at least 3 per green and also rake at least 5 different people's footprints every time I go in a trap. Proper golf etiquette is virtually non-existent these days.

I fix mine, and any that are going to either be on my line or that are within eye sight when I'm at address. It could be one, it could be five. If it's going to slow up play though, fix mine and worry about the rest when it's appropriate.

And while we're at it, let's make sure we are repairing them PROPERLY. Most people do not.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?54887-How-to-PROPERLY-repair-a-ball-mark

Yeah... I actually thought, for the longest time, that you were supposed to pry the dirt and grass up to make it level! I learned this way about 5 years ago and I've been using it since.

I just can't stand putting through and around craters. I'll never understand why everybody doesn't have a repair tool in their pocket.

* shrug *

Its unfortunate if you are encountering that many ball marks on your putting line, I don't think I've ever had more than 1-2 that required attention before putting.

I fix mine and any in my path before I putt. Then as others are putting I generally wander around and fix as many as I can. I use the above method and many folks comment that I fix ball marks funny. I respond to that comment with a friendly, "I read that doing it this way doesn't damage the roots like prying up". Just another thing I learned on THP.

Whatever I can without slowing down our group. MD area courses are bad when it comes to ball marks

Olong with many THPers I fix as many marks as I can find. Just found out (video) I've been doing it wrong. Thanks for the video.

Anything I see walking to my ball, and between my ball and the cup I will fix. But won't slow up group doing it.

Seems like I fix more in the winter than summer for whatever reason, but usually 2-3 minimum. I also give the bunkers a rake if there are a lot of footprints.

Ran into that this weekend while playing in a tournament. Since it was alternate shot, I usually had time when we got to the green and probably repaired 3-4 each green.

It is quite sad how few people fix them, I always go hunting for mine everytime I hit a green for a couple reasons. 1, I don't hit enough greens to get tired of fixing them and 2, I am always interested in my action on the green.

If every shot is rolling out several yards I will play somewhat differently than if I am getting them to stop quicker. Or at least I will plan differently.

But as to the question how many is too many? When it slows down your play or impacts your/others in your groups play.

I always try to find the one I may have made and in the process of doing so will also fix another or two that I might see. if I have the time I will fix more but usually just mine and another one or two if they are readily noticeable to me. I don't intentionally go searching for anything but my own. The one thing I find happens when playing around sunset is that the low sun makes so many more of tem appear whereas the overhead sun not so much. So if playing late in the day I end up fixing more simply because they are more readily noticeable.

I try to fix 2-3 each time or whatever is on my line. People will take forever to line a up a putt, but can't take a few seconds to repair a ball mark.

First... let me start by saying that I understand that this comes with playing the game. That said... I have a question that I wouldn't mind some feedback on.

When you play, how many ball marks do you repair (on average) on each green before you get into your putting routine?

I fix my own, and as many others as I happen see without delaying play. I don't cruise the green looking for them. I rarely fix more than a couple more than my own on most greens, and often don't find any to fix - and this on a busy muni type course. We have firm greens and mostly seem to have fairly aware golfers. With a big men's club whose members play a lot of casual golf there too, many get fixed rather quickly. Since I miss a lot of greens, I often fix only those left behind by others. The guys who cut new holes and the guys who mow each morning also repair any they find.

I also fill a lot of divot holes when I play too. Since I ride most of the time, I always have a couple of bottles of sand/seed mix on board and I use it when waiting in the fairway for the group in front or for the guys in my group. I can fill a lot of divots in a one minute delay. I usually have to swap out for fresh bottles at the turn.

My ball usually leaves a crater so first I repair mine. Then I repair the one in my putting line. Then I go through my tedious putting routine.

I'm always looking for ball marks around mine to fix along with mine. Even if I land in front and roll onto the green (not leaving a mark) I'll fix one or two anyway.

That is frustrating, but I always try to leave the course in better shape than I found it. Sounds like you deserved greens keepers pay for the day. Lol.

Not sure about an average, but I'll repair a few on my way to my ball and any that might be in my line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My rule is to leave the green better then you found it.

I fix 2-3 per hole at my home course, sometimes more. I'm always raking bunkers, too. I swear, some of the people at that course have no idea what they're doing.

Back