Golf Budget - Do you have one?

No true budget, but I do use common sense when it comes to spending money on any of my hobbies.

I added up what I spent on golf last year and that was a mistake. I decided to curtail things moving forward, as I'll be able to enjoy golf just as much if not more without spending the GDP of a small country each year.

But I still don't have a budget.

No golf budget here. When I run out of money I will know I spent too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My budget is whether I feel guilty or extravagant in what I spend. I learned a long time ago buying something cheaper than what I want is more expensive than buying it right the first time. For me, buying less than I really want ends up leading to a second purchase a lot of the time. But, buying right means that when I get a piece of equipment, I am happy with it for a long time.

If I am in a unique place and time and the round is expensive, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger even if it is extravagant. My attitude is if I am there and it would cost a lot to come back, do it now.
I've learned this lesson myself the hard way--and it relates to more than just golf.

nope no budget for me. If I want to play, I play. If I want to buy it, I buy it. Easy enough.
I miss this version of myself.

I added up what I spent on golf last year and that was a mistake. I decided to curtail things moving forward, as I'll be able to enjoy golf just as much if not more without spending the GDP of a small country each year.

I hear that. It was terrifying and embarrassing all at the same time.

I am pretty conscientious about all my spending, not just golf. I know how much I can spend without getting myself into trouble.

I do not have a golf budget, but if I did, it would be high enough that I would get whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Which is what I do now.

No.

I don't spend a ton on equipment and play varies from year to year.

My wife is also a golfer, so that helps.

Last night she told me to go buy a new set of irons.

I don't have a golf budget. Any purchases have to be passed by the minister of finance.

I didn't add it up, but between golf and the medical expenses in the first two-thirds of the year..ugly!

I didn't add it up, but between golf and the medical expenses in the first two-thirds of the year..ugly!

Just think of the meds is that golf cart actually rolled over!

It would have been fine though; the lawsuit against the course would have paid for all of it.

Just think of the meds is that golf cart actually rolled over!

It would have been fine though; the lawsuit against the course would have paid for all of it.

Yikes!

I don't have a budget, but I do try to be conscious of my discretionary spending. Most clubs come used or via trade, and the most I spent on a round last season was $55. My kids have a lot of activities that cost some decent $$ so I always make sure their things are already taken care of before I splurge on anything.

I don't have a budget, per se, but definitely keep price in mind when pondering or purchasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No set budget for me, it all depends on work. I buy based on funds I currently have or certain things like my membership is planned ahead of time.

I don't have a budget really. However I don't spend any money if I don't have it. If there's something I want and I have the funds available I'll grab it otherwise I'll save for it. I know what my memberships cost me and I'll save for those all year. Otherwise other things like events, clubs, or clothes I'll grab as long as I have funds available.

Nope, no budget and no restrictions. Not long ago I had some serious financial issues that really limited my play but I practiced everyday whether putting, chipping, or just a bucket.

I don't have a golf budget anymore but I had a budget for everything until about the age of 43. It took my wife and I a couple decades of hard work before budgeting was not important anymore.

I don't have a budget per se, but I know what's too much for my situation. Equipment-wise not much will change for me, and I plan for at least 4 rounds a month along with range time along with consumables if necessary. I haven't had the opportunity to travel to a THP event yet, but there are a couple on my radar and I've already put a bug in Mrs. Hicksta's ear so it's not a surprise.

Last edited:
No. I don't replace clubs yearly. Balls are (or at least used to be) free.

No golf budget. I take care of my responsibilities at home & if I can swing it and it's something I like/want to do I go for it. Traveling to play golf requires some negation with my wife, but in the end of it's something I want to do, she isn't going to say no or give me a hard time.

Never had a golf budget until now. This upcoming season I will be setting aside a budget. I'm buying a place this year and have to watch all my expenses.

Ummm yes and no. I do not have "golf budget" but yet I do have a limited amount right now to spend on golf!

I'll do $200 per month for playing golf, but sometimes purchases 'have' to be made and I'll go way over that. I really struggle living on a budget. I've tried the envelope system, but haven't done very well.

Golf Budget - Do you have one?

Golf budget? According to my wife, yes I have one. According to me, no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No budget for me. I'm at the stage in life that I worked, saved, invested and sacrificed for so that can enjoy. I'm doing just that. But, having lived our lives well within our means, we still maintain pretty conservative spending habits. Golf is my passion now, so, if I want something badly, I get it.

Back