deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Read this article about headcovers (http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-first-thing-we-do-lets-kil) and it got me to thinking. Some companies just seem to get the fact that the head cover really does add a bit of spice to the club, and for others it just seems like an after thought. What company do you think gets it, and which one needs some help:

Gets it: Callaway
Needs help: Cobra

Also what's your favorite style of head cover? For me, I really like the ones that are currently used by Callaway, or the one Cleveland used for the Classic.

I don't know - I think Cobra gets it - with the hat headcover and the box square one? I like both of those. I think Cleveland needs a makeover though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Callaway's but Taylormade needs lots of help!

I don't know - I think Cobra gets it - with the hat headcover and the box square one? I like both of those. I think Cleveland needs a makeover though

these are pretty cool, but they would need to come stock with the clubs

Just bought a few from Loudmouth.
Since I always buy my clubs used, they don't always come with the head cover. So I always buy generic head covers, so once I replace a club, I can always just switch the head cover over since it's not brand specific.
IMO there needs to be more generic covers that are not boring one color and not mascot/animals.

The quality is there on Callaway's but I'll admit I'm not a fan of that style. The headcover I loved was the one on the first Cleveland Classic driver a few years ago. A good headcover is great and adds to the club IMO, a bad one(at least on a driver) is easily replaced.

I prefer aftermarket headcovers. The Seamus style is what I am drawn the most to.

these are pretty cool, but they would need to come stock with the clubs
I agree, if they came standard that'd be one thing but the stock head covers Cobra sends their drivers with are ... bleh. For all the fancy colors they produce the F6 and F6+ in, the headcover is very bland. The LTD is somewhat better, but not by much. YMMV.

I look at the new Srixon and XXIO head covers and are completely underwhelmed as well. Whatever happened to the style they had with the Classic? That was one of the best headcovers I've seen.

Like crucialfix, I've gone mostly custom because then everything matches and my OCD stays in check ... but if the stock headcover was exceptional, I'd consider gaming it.

agree on cobra the ones with the vents were awful. anybody going with the leather style these days gets it in my opinion
pings new ones are kinda ugly half leather, half knit

Callaway gets it from a color and flash stand point, but I don't like that style. Their Hybrid covers are solid though. Same with the M1 covers from TM.

I like Srixon's red and white ones a lot, along with Cobra's aftermarket ones. But I wish some companies would bring out some nicely done pom pom covers as the stock option.

I agree, if they came standard that'd be one thing but the stock head covers Cobra sends their drivers with are ... bleh. For all the fancy colors they produce the F6 and F6+ in, the headcover is very bland. The LTD is somewhat better, but not by much. YMMV.

I look at the new Srixon and XXIO head covers and are completely underwhelmed as well. Whatever happened to the style they had with the Classic? That was one of the best headcovers I've seen.

Like crucialfix, I've gone mostly custom because then everything matches and my OCD stays in check ... but if the stock headcover was exceptional, I'd consider gaming it.

I like the XXIO headcover. It's not flasy, but it's certainly quality.

DSC_8036-L.jpg

DSC_8044-L.jpg

I personally think Bridgestone has the best stock headcovers in golf. For all clubs. Woods and putters.

It looks solid enough, I guess I'm just not as huge a fan of the knit sleeve (or whatever it's referred too) as I used to be.

I like the XXIO headcover. It's not flasy, but it's certainly quality.

DSC_8036-L.jpg

DSC_8044-L.jpg

Gets it: Cobra
Needs Help: Bridgestone*

I use an asterisk because the stock headcovers have been unchanged for a while but the specialty ones they have are AMAZING. For example, the limited Master's putter cover and the USA hybrid throwback pom pom cover are both phenomenal IMO

I think the Cleveland Classic Putter headcover is the best Ive seen.

cool article. Lot of interesting things to think about.

I really like the older vintage looking pom headcovers. Not sure why, but I have a soft spot for them. Cobra really needs to step its game up on their headcovers. I have the king LTD headcover for my 3/4 and it is brutal to look at. My fly Z driver has the cobra hat headcover, and I do like that one.

The Cobra LTD headcover with the zipper is the worst! I agree a lot of the headcovers are pretty bland lately. There is a good selection of aftermarket headcovers but that's an expense that I don't really want. Callaway does have some really nice covers but I'm not a huge fan of that style. I think many golfers are wanting style in their game more than ever and this is one area out can improve on.

Yes, Callaway gets it. I've not seen the Cobra's up close, but from what I'm seeing, not so much.

Headcovers

When I buy a new wood of any sort, the first thing I do is ditch the manufacturers head over, and stick my Back 9 cover on. I did like the head over that came with my Cleveland fairway wood however. It was an old skool barrel headcover and looked awesome!!!!

I'm really starting to like the (for lack of a better word) "mitten" style covers. Callaway makes some really nice looking ones. Seamus and rose and fire both make some nice looking covers. Thinking hard on one of the rose and fire covers. OEM covers are just not that appealing to me. Odyssey is the exception to that rule of course, their specialty covers are bad ass.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like what cobra tried to do with the unique ones, I just don't know if they stuck with the out of the box thinking on it.

Callaway seems to have gotten it right for a while now, the last few from Ping look quite nice.

IMO, Mizuno has some great headcovers. Classy but still not boring.

These days I don't give headcovers much thought because they don't impact how I hit my shots. I use whatever comes with the club when I buy.

I used to buy decorative headcovers when my kids were younger because I used them for hand puppets to entertain them. Now that they're teenagers, I just use what comes with the clubs.

I need my headcovers to match my bag. It drives me nuts & until recently with Callaway offering color options I've gone aftermarket for mine.

I think Callaway, Cobra & Bridgestone are doing it right while TM, Titleist are lacking IMO

Back