Best of the 2015 drivers ... recap

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
Guys - I always buy my gear a year or two old, to save $$. I will try to get fit for a driver, but it's tough as often the stores don't have much 2015 stock left, only the new stuff.

So, I would really like to hear from those of you much more in the know as to any 2014/2015 drivers that got universal love ... any real standouts that everybody seemed to really like.

I haven't kept up with all the club reviews on THP - my job over the next few months is to read up on all the reviews and get a feel for the drivers that get the most accolades.

I know club selection is highly individual but I figure this will give me a good starting point (I know it doesn't negate the need for a fitting) - just looking for some insider info as to the really solid driver offerings of 2014/15 that everybody felt performed really well (marketing hype aside).

It would also be a help to hear about those underperforming drivers that consensus says may have fell a bit short of the mark comparatively.

FYI - I'm a regular shaft swing speed kind of guy that needs some built in forgiveness, probably going to loft up looking for a bit more length.

Thanks ! :clapp:

John

Last edited:
Great Big Bertha....hands down.

what are you looking for? for me as someone who needs help with launch and some added spin, i enjoyed cobra fly-z and bridgestone j815. gbb is great, too.

I gamed the Cobra Fly Z for a while and really liked it then got fitted in the Titliest 915 D3.

I know the Ping G30 series got a lot of love but I could never get along with it.

Personally hit a few of these and I like the fly-z(many people vouch for) and the vapor, not fitted just off the rack, my 2c.

Bridgestone J815 for me. The crown graphics are distinct which may bother some, but this driver flat out performs for me and I know of others who had the same impression.

The drivers I hit in 2015 that I really liked in order...

Callaway Great Big Bertha... ball exploded off the face
Titleist 915 D3... I had more control with this, but seemed like a little less carry distance
Callaway XR Pro... Really long... less forgiveness for me than the other two.
Taylormade M1... Solid driver and way long... just had a hard time getting used to the white/cf topline. I like the traditional black topped drivers.

I probably would have bought the 915. But I made a shaft change in my 913 and I'm extremely happy with it.

I probably have a slower swing, but I picked up a G30 to replace my G10. It was actually a demo club at Golfsmith, in excellent condition, and I got it for $150 in the beginning of January. I have been happy with it.

John

Bridgestone J715, changed my game!

No plans to replace mine...I am very particular, and this is the one that checks all the criteria boxes for me...

Last edited:
In no particular order

bridgestone j715 and j815
Cobra Fly z and if you need some launch the xl
Great Big bertha
Wilson Staff D200
Xxio 8

Granted I did not have access to try a lot of different 2015 models, but I find it hard to believe that any would be better than the Great Big Bertha.

If you're talking about models outside of the current lineup, the G30 is a pretty great choice, since the new G just came out. If you're looking for current models you might be able to buy used, the Great Big Bertha might be one of the best. I also got a Vapor Pro driver for really cheap this year, and if you're looking for a low-ish spin driver with great sound, that's a nice option. The previous Callaway drivers (XR and Alpha 815) were also great, and can be had for cheap on Callaway preowned.

The two best that I hit were the GBB and J715.

For me the most forgiving driver was D200, but the longest was R15.
915D2 was a great all-around option.

Callaway XR & Big Bertha was great but the Titleist 915 D3 was best for me.

Don't sleep on the Mizuno JPX 850. It's beautiful, sounds great, and performs.

I'll qualify this by saying I haven't tried Bridgestone, Mizuno, Callaway, and Cobra, so I have no idea as to how these perform.

The 915, the M1 and the G30 are all good choices. They all have different feel at impact, you'll have to choose which feel you like better.

G30. Although most will say the difference between the G25 and G30 is mainly cosmetic, so you could save even more money and get the G25.

I hit them all and kept going back to the Great Big Bertha. One driver that is a very close second and largely unheralded is the Srixon Z 545. It had an increadible feel that the other drivers only wish they had.

My vote is for any of the G30 models....g30, g30 sf tec, g30 ls tec
i also liked the titleist 915d2/d3

I've tried them all in indoor and outdoor conditions, below are my top three IMHO.

Cobra LTD: The longest of any driver out there period. Great forgivness but low launching and low spining for me.
Cobra F6+/F6: Almost as good as the LTD and probably as good as the LTD for some.
Callaway GBB: Great driver for forgivness and distance, but for me the head weight didn't feel right. But I like light heads and shafts...

Thanks guys - appreciate all the intel

Didn't try many different brands of drivers because the Great Big Bertha was working so well, but the Ping G30 SF Tec was also good to me.

Back