Golf as a Stress Reliever?

I think golf can be stress relief but to go out on a limb here..........how can it relieve stress when most people get frustrated and angry when they don't play well and also get angry and frustrated about pace of play? Perhaps also course condition, the weather, etc..? If golf was truly a stress relief than you wouldn't ever be bothered by your own poor play nor pace issues nor just about anything. In those circumstances it can actually add stress because something your suppose to enjoy and have fun doing gets mixed in with frustration and frustration is stress. And what about trying to squeeze in a round between obligations and wanting to hurry to play because of them and get done in time to get back is also not something that relieves stress, it adds it. If one truly wants golf to relieve stress than every time you head out to play just relax and enjoy regardless how you play and how slow it might be. Just let it all go and let be what will be. Also, we spend valuable resources of time and money to play our golf. Time and money are expenses and unfortunately expenses of time and money (for most people) adds stress to our lives. Especially when one spends more of them than he/she should vs their obligations. That in itself is a stress additive. That's just a fact.

Golf (for most) is a pastime, a recreation of choice we do for enjoyment. Enjoyment can relieve stress for a while as it sort takes one away from himself but all the things I mention here do not really indicate stress relief do they?. If one really wants golf to be a relief (and it can be) but then imo he/she can only accomplish this by playing well within your means of resources to do so this way there is no stress about that.. And must also play without any frustrations at all about anything that goes on like your own performance as well as pace or any other things that bother you while you play. As soon as something becomes a little frustrating, or annoying, it can no longer be stress relief because frustrations and annoyances are things that add stress.

I used to be overly demanding of myself and my game when I first started. Which - now that I look back on it - is amusing. Started the game in my 40's and seemingly expected to be a mid-handicapper (or better) right out of the gate. So I would get frustrated with myself on bad shots (which happened often) and rounds could become miserable for me (and I assume my cart mate). A reassessment of why I played the game, and some life lessons, really helped me turn that attitude around. Now, while I'm not pleased with a bad shot, it doesn't define the round and I can laugh it off and just play it. Coincidentally, with the easing up of my game, the scores have for the most part improved.

Golf is still my escape but it brings it's on set of stressors on. But I still enjoy and look forward to playing as much as I can. I stay connected to work when I do play, as I'm on call 24hrs a day. But usually it's my time to myself and it is enjoyed mostly stress free.

Golf has always helped me relax. It probably explains why I'm more on edge during the winter months. Anytime I need to get away in the summer I head out the course or driving range and feel better instantly.

It should be, but I have a tendency to stress over my game. I'm working on that.

I used to be overly demanding of myself and my game when I first started. Which - now that I look back on it - is amusing. Started the game in my 40's and seemingly expected to be a mid-handicapper (or better) right out of the gate. So I would get frustrated with myself on bad shots (which happened often) and rounds could become miserable for me (and I assume my cart mate). A reassessment of why I played the game, and some life lessons, really helped me turn that attitude around. Now, while I'm not pleased with a bad shot, it doesn't define the round and I can laugh it off and just play it. Coincidentally, with the easing up of my game, the scores have for the most part improved.

I've simply realized that life is way toooooo short to spend time and money on something that is suppose to be fun but isn't. Its just not worth it if its not enjoyable. Sure I get frustrated sometimes but I've learned to limit that a whole lot vs how often it happened in the past. I do literally laugh at my bad shots when I feel like I want to get angry. I just laugh instead on purpose. There was a time I would get so miserable I was like "why should I spend my time and money to be miserable"...it just doent make sense. So (not always) but most the time I keep it as fun as I can. Its sure a whole lot more enjoyable when playing better but for certain and cant deny that fact, but playing poorly doesn't have to be miserable. Someone wants to be miserable then just give me your time an money and I'll make you miserable. I'll cram it in 2 minutes so you can then get over it and enjoy the next 3 hours and 58 minutes of your life.

I use golf as a means to relax, but my phone stays on. If I am needed for work, that takes precedent. The reason I can afford golf is because of work, no way am I going to bite the hand by neglecting customers.

completely understandable & I golf with a few guys like that. When they have to take a call the apologize profusely - but you gotta do what you gotta do! It never bothers me.

I'm lucky that I don't have that kind of job, so it is a way to relax & unplug for me.

It sure is a stress reliever. Just being outside, enjoying a round is enough for me to totally unwind from the daily grind.

Golf is therapy for me. It allows me to shove whatever is bothering me, or stressing me out all the way to the back burner and not worry about it for a few hours.
Agreed, just you the ball, the course and hopefully some friends to enjoy a nice round/walk and a few drinks with!

Golf as a Stress Reliever?

Most of the time it is for me. I'm in a work league where at times it can be tough coming straight from a stressful project right onto the first tee, with no time to wind down in between.

I don't have to talk to anyone if I don't want to, which makes it a relaxing thing for me, since I have to talk to people all day for work.

Sunday golf is a complete stress relief as are a few holes around 7 in the spring and summer. Playing during the week is likely to be more trouble then it's worth if I have other irons in the fire.

Golf for me is an escape from the real world. No thinking of work or sucks to say but the three family members that have passed in the last three years.I have only been playing for 5 years And it has proven a huge stress reliever from life. Now it has become an obsession!

I follow a few rules to make sure I enjoy the game to its maximum:

1. I play on my own terms. If for any reason there's a conflict or a tight schedule, I'll usually try to reschedule. No use forcing the game if I still have other concerns to attend too.
2. I try to finish work and all other obligations before I play. Not only does it put an end to calls and other work-related disturbances, it clears up the clutter in my head.
3. The phone is on, but it's on silent mode. That way I can screen which situations require my immediate attention, or not.

I think it's a stress reliever. It presents it's own stress but it's a good stress as it's a self improvement exercise for me. It's definitely an escape. When I play during the week (non-vacation) I'm generally still with phone. Weekend or vacation rounds though I'm pretty unplugged. I leave the phone on vibrate in case there's an emergency, but other than to check for a text from the wife or similar while I wait during a backup it lives in the cart. Golf is my 4-5 hours of time away from the world's concerns to enjoy myself and the game.

Back