2 Man Tournament - Different Formats, what ball do you play?

OITW

Reaction score
You and a buddy have gotten into a pretty fun tournament with two awesome sponsors, phenomenal prizes and eternal bragging rights on the line.

The format for this event is the following:

4 Ball (best ball)
Shamble
Alternate Shot
Pinehurst

For Alt Shot and Pinehurst you have to play one ball.

How do you as team decide on what ball to use? We've heard about how important the ball is HERE.

The catch is one of you is a very very low spin player and the other one is a high spin player.

What ball do you choose and why?

I would use the ball of the low spin player. The high spin player should gain some distance and the low spin player will be at home! Opinion's vary!!!

I'll play the ball choice of whoever is the better player around the green. I don't see VASTLY different results off of the tee, unless I'm going from one extreme to another, but around the green it's noticeable. And if there's someone who's big on feel, and is a wizard around the greens, I'll defer to that person.

First thing I'd look at is the temperature, if it is cold I wouldn't choose a Pro-V (it'd be like hitting a rock), I'd be looking at a lower compression ball then of course the other way around for a hot day. Then I'm look at what each of prefer and which of us is the better golfer, use the better golfer's ball choice after the above is determined.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't over think it. Use a ball you are both comfortable with or have played before and liked. No worries!

Not to worried about it but may talk to my buddy and compared models played and then see what works best for us.

This isn't a make or break decision on the ball. You both know which ones you like, I'm sure there is bound to be an overlap in there somewhere. Off the tee, you're not going to see a HUGE difference, at least not enough to make you say, "oh crap, wrong ball." I'd lean more towards the ball that you both like around the green and putting feel as that's where you want the most performance.

As long as it says Bridgestone on it, I'm good with whatever.

I let my parent choose the ball, as I honestly couldn't tell the difference from one to the next.

I would choose the ball of the better iron player. For me it's about hitting greens. The ball matters when it comes to checking, IMO.

We usually play the ball of the better player and decide pressure is on him to carry the team =)

Chrome soft or B330-RX. There are no other choices IMO. They seem to fit the broadest range of golfers better than anything else out there.

Whatever my partner feels comfortable with. I'm not consistent enough that I NEED my ball.

I would choose the ball of the better iron player. For me it's about hitting greens. The ball matters when it comes to checking, IMO.
Yep, I think handicaps come into play and the better player would pick, that way they can get the most out of every shot for sure.

Unless my partner is playing a Pinnacle, or some other "rock", I always defer to my partner in two-man tournaments. My job as a partner is to make him feel as comfortable as possible. I've played about every premium ball manufactured and, although I have preferences, I haven't found one that has a huge effect on my game one way or the other.

As long as its a Urethane cover I don't really care.

In Legacy when I played alt shot with Rambler we would play the ball of whoever was teeing off. So when I teed off it was the B330rx and when he did we played the Duo. This seemed to work out just fine.

Back