Do you think you could be a Pro Caddy?

RNG

Reaction score
Handicap
Title says it all. Do you have the right stuff to travel constantly? Do everything that is expected of a caddy? Put up with the highs and lows of your player? May or may not make much coin?

For me the answer is no way even if I found the right player. Although I know it's not all players but I don't think I could put up with being treated like a second class citizen by the player or the PGA Tour. Plus I couldn't be away from my family that much.

I think I'd like to do that, but with that said, I don't know if I could right now. I have a good job that pays well for where I live. If I was to give that up to be on the Tour that'd be a pretty big step. Plus, being away from my wife and kids for that much of the year would be rough. Now, COULD I DO the job, with out a doubt I could!

Depends on if I had the right player to be partnered with, but yea, maybe. Some treat their caddies way better than others, and I'm pretty good at remaining calm and keeping someone else in the right state of mind. I guess that's the psychology degree part of me. I think it would be a very tough job, but I believe I have the skill set to do it.

I think I could but I know there is a lot that goes into totting a bag for a player. It would take some practice.

After reading Rick Riley's book "Whose your caddy?" There is no way. I would suck so bad at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I can handle the travel. I have worked in environments as a contractor where we were treated like third class citizens and had no privileges to use gym facilities or other benefits as the full time employees so I am sure imcan get over that aspect. I have no problem with the workload they have to do to get ready for each tournament like walking the courses to get yardages when the players aren't there, getting pin locations and disgraces during each round in prep for the next round. I get along with most people so I think I could build the relationship with the player to establish trust early. It would be hard being away from the family but there are men and women doing much harder work serving out country that are away longer than a caddie is

If i were single and had no kids absolutely. I caddied for about 12 years up here and loved it. I think the caddie gets overlooked a lot in golf. Golf is often referred to as an individual sport but to me theres no more important pairing than a player and his caddie and i would love to have that sort of partnership/team with a pro golfer. Hell if i cant swing it like a pro i would love a front row seat to someone who can

As long as the golfer was not named Bubba, I think I would enjoy it.

As long as the golfer was not named Bubba, I think I would enjoy it.

Big props to that caddie. Cruel and unusual punishment, but props for putting up with that. haha

Big props to that caddie. Cruel and unusual punishment, but props for putting up with that. haha

It's gotta be amazing seeing him create shots in person all the time, but I couldn't handle the rest. I'm sure he's not the only guy, but for the most part, I think it would be a fun job. Hard work? Sure, but if you have a passion for the game, I think it's a great gig.

I definitely think I could do it. Travel wouldn't be an issue and I feel like I would enjoy doing it

I had an opportunity to caddy for a player during a Nike Tour event once. I had originally signed up to be a standard volunteer for the Henrico County Open. The day of the Pro/AM one of the players needed a caddy and I volunteered to do it. Never had the experience but thought I could pull it off. I never worked so hard for 5 straight days. You need to be in pretty good shape. I thought I was but I was feeling it after 3 days. My guy ( Jeff Hart ) made the cut on the number by holing a bunker shot on 18 for an eagle 3. I didn't know whether to be happy or cry that I had to lug a tour bag 36 more holes:bulgy-eyes:. In the end it was one of the best experiences I ever had. We made a handshake deal for salary before the event started. $100 for each loop plus 10%. He finished pretty low in the event and I told him to forgo the % payout. I was happy with the $500. Plus he was sponsored by Titleist so he gave me a bunch of swag too.

We played the first 2 days with Brandon De Jonge who absolutely killed the ball, the rest of the week were Nike Tour grinders. Matt Kuchar won the event. It was his last year on the Nike tour for him.

If there is a web.com event scheduled in your area, try and volunteer. Head to the caddy tent and talk to the caddy master. There are guy's on the tour that don't travel with caddies and pick guy's up event to event. There is a lot of OJT involved for those trying it for the first time, but the old saying Show up, keep up, shut up applies until you get comfortable. The other caddies new I was green, and they helped me out when they could, showed me a lot of intricacies you take for granted. Such as, stepping around a players through line, holding the flag stick by the flag when it's out of the hole, cleaning an opponents ball when his caddy is occupied raking a bunker, cleaning and drying range balls for your player when he is hitting his driver on the range before he asks you to, etc.

It was a great experience and I hold tour caddies in the highest regard. That's why most tour players include their caddies in their thank you speeches when they win.

Every time he threatens to quit Bubba buys him something too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Would love to try, but I don't have the golf knowledge ... nor could I help read a green ...

I'm not even close to good enough.

I think Bubba and a couple of others could destroy the caddy profession!!

Nah. I'd look like that little kid in Caddyshack trying to pick up Vic Czervik's bag with one one of those staff bags.

Had the opportunity to caddy at a web.com event and passed. Might be different if it was someone who I already had a relationship with, but it would be tough. I heard stories from the web.com tour of 4-6 caddies getting together and driving from event to event. Can't imagine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have a few friends that are easily web.com tour and symetra tour ready in a few years. I've already offered to travel for a tournament or two to caddy.

My dad was an Evans Scholar so caddying is in my blood. I never went through the program or have been an official caddy at a club, but when I can I carry the bag for my buddies. I caddied for my teammate in the pre-qualifier for the John deer this last summer. Had a blast and would definitely do it again.

I love tournament atmosphere and if I couldn't move forward with my own playing career I would love to share my knowledge of the game with a player. I'm not a particularly big guy so I would need to put on some mass to handle the staff bags week after week, but I could definitely handle the travel schedule. Even if it didn't pay too well, I could see myself doing it steady till I settled down with a family. I don't need much to keep me going and the golf course is my favorite office!

Yes I think I could do it. I have no problem studying the course and the game to help my player. I have the athletic ability to carry the bag and take care of my body to make sure I stay in good shape. I would have to be a single guy to do it. I also have no problem being the caddies guy to b**ch to, I can take the heat. I would love to be Bubba's caddie.

I'd actually really enjoy this. I think I'd be good at the job, and I'm pretty sure I'd have an absolute blast.

If Patrick Reed's wife can caddy I think just about anyone could. However, it's a tough life that doesn't pay much outside of the top 100 or so PGA players.

If Patrick Reed's wife can caddy I think just about anyone could. However, it's a tough life that doesn't pay much outside of the top 100 or so PGA players.

Bit of a different scenario there in comparison to most caddy's.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I could do it - I certainly would love the opportunity.

But, I bet I would get fired. I don't take well to being berated for an error that the player might make, nor to being treated as less than an equal. I would open my mouth and let my pro have a piece of his own medicine if that were to happen.

Back