Just after some thoughts about the top of my bag.

lopsta5

Reaction score
Handicap
Ive been thinking about the top of my bag lately. Currently i have 815 driver set to 10.5°, Xhot 3 wood, X2hot 5 deep, X2hot pro hybrid.
I hit my driver on all but 1 of our par 5's and most of the par 4's at my course, and the 3 wood maybe twice a round and the 5 wood i can go quite a rounds without using it.
So im thinking about changing the 3 and 5 woods out and replacing them with a xr 4 wood, what are your guys thoughts or advice? Maybe ending up with an extra wedge. The 4 wood can then be used off the fairway and the tee if needed. i just feel the top of the bag is underutilized and just filling up the bag.

Last season I was gaming a SLDR, a 17* R9 TP 4 wood and a RBZ Stage 2 hybrid set to 21.5*

I'm keeping all of those clubs, but I've also added a G30 driver (probably replacing the SLDR once I get the right shaft), a 15* Yonex 3 wood (THP contest win, still waiting on it's arrival), and a 20* ultimate driving iron RSI TP. For my game some combination of these clubs will do the trick. Which ones go in the bag when will depend a bit on the course, and a bit on how I hit the Yonex 3 wood.

It sounds like you're on the right track, but I'd suggest approaching the question less about which clubs are in the bag and more about are you covering the yardages you need to cover. As long as there isn't a 25-40 yard gap between adjacent clubs you should be in good shape.

i would agree with your assessment. i don't think a 7.3 handicap is generally aided by more long clubs than short clubs. i think you need more wedges for more options around the green.

Sounds good to me. If you use driver the majority of the time I think you are doing the right thing. My bag goes from driver to 17 degree hybrid. I figure if I'm not going to hit driver I'm playing a tight hole so between the tree line is most important. I am very confident with the 17 degree, which I hit about 230, so hopefully the hole isn't 450!

The extra wedge will give you more options in close and may help you get up and down more often and maybe hit the ball closer for birdie attempts.

What about just dropping the 5 wood and sticking with what you have? You have an AW which is what... 52*ish? With a 56, I don't think another wedge is necessary as you would probably use it as much as your 5 wood. I guess it depends on how well you hit your 3 wood, but I remember that Xhot being pretty friendly off the turf... Or maybe just try it our before buying something else... it may just work out if you like what you already have.

Yeah maybe thats an idea. Being that the its a 5 deep i dont really hit it off the deck like the 3 wood. Maybe just go Driver, 3wood, hybrid you reckon?

Yeah maybe thats an idea. Being that the its a 5 deep i dont really hit it off the deck like the 3 wood. Maybe just go Driver, 3wood, hybrid you reckon?

I'd give it a try, if the 3 wood is too difficult for normal play and it's costing you shots, then I would for sure look into something easier to hit... Personally I keep struggling with filling the bag to 14 but for some reason I keep going back to just 13 and it seems to work just fine. If you go 4 wood then will you need to re-gap for a higher lofted hybrid?

Ive been thinking about the top of my bag lately. Currently i have 815 driver set to 10.5°, Xhot 3 wood, X2hot 5 deep, X2hot pro hybrid.
I hit my driver on all but 1 of our par 5's and most of the par 4's at my course, and the 3 wood maybe twice a round and the 5 wood i can go quite a rounds without using it.
So im thinking about changing the 3 and 5 woods out and replacing them with a xr 4 wood, what are your guys thoughts or advice? Maybe ending up with an extra wedge. The 4 wood can then be used off the fairway and the tee if needed. i just feel the top of the bag is underutilized and just filling up the bag.

I have the same set up as you do currently and I'm just more comfortable knowing that I have clubs for every shot I come across and I wouldn't have to take any 3/4 swings or swing out of my shoes so that's why I carry and 3 and a 5 wood

Do you need an extra wedge? I fell if you go thru with the change 6 months from now it's going to be the same question but about the underutilized wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've toyed with multiple setups for the top of my bag. I am not a great off the deck player with woods so I carry a driver and 3w for a majority of my tee shots with a 19* hybrid. Then depending on the course I choose between carrying a 20.5* 3 iron or a 3rd wedge. Every once in a rare while I wont carry the hybrid and carry both the 3 and 60.

Unless you like carrying around heavy stuff, drop the 3 & 5 for a 4 and add a wedge at the bottom if you need it. If you don't need the wedge, why carry it?

At my home course, I take driver or 3w off the tee on par 4s and 5s unless the tees are moved up then one hole only I hit my 3 hybrid.

Back