Live Update Thread - 2016 THP Kickoff Classic Sponsored By Kentwool

And here are the swings off 1 to start that match.

Four different swings, all creating great balls.

Great video, Toad!

729d3d9ff848645e1a527debea13c44c.jpg

Check out FK with the Annika like move with his head! Pretty cool to capture.

I think Freddie raided YoAJ's closet.

And here's a few from the group ahead of us and what I was able to grab on 18:

pics deleted for easier scrolling

Great pics..I do need to change my av now that the snow has melted.

This is going to be long. I apologize. Part one:

Thanks for all recaps so far everyone. Recaps are always hard for me to get going because I don't feel like I will be able to do the event justice. I will say that I've been fortunate to be part of 6 or 7 THP events and this weekend was one of the best I've been part of. Each event has their own merits, but the Kickoff Classic was just about a perfect THP gathering IMO.

Kudos to JB, Morgan, and Mike Dean for picking such a fantastic venue for us. The resort was ideal for THP event IMO (minus the bed bugs for JB). The outdoor area was awesome for hanging out with everyone pre and post dinner. The staff at both the hotel and course were great. I would go back in a heartbeat.

My trip started on Thursday, hitting the road around 3:30 and leaving straight from work. I had about 7 hours to go, so I was pretty much all business on the trip down. Mojo being the great guy he is, had secured a room near the course and wouldn't let me pay for anything. I got him back in small way the next day, but thanks again, buddy. Anyway, I got in late and we stayed up talking about the event and family. We got up early and headed over to RTJ and had some breakfast with eliterate (Mike) before our round with Chumpfries (Courtney). Mojo picked up a super fly 1/4 zip and we were able to scope out the course.

I loaded up on the cart with Mike and we hit the range and practice green before the round. I hit Mike's M1 on the range and kind of wish I hadn't as I hit it really well and came away super impressed. We met up with Courtney and eventually figured out how to set up our Gamebook game. No one played great on Friday on the Lakes course, but we each had some moments and more importantly, had a great time. Mike hit a bomb off the tee on 12 and we all hit some good shots on 17. I was a little rusty but hit enough good shots to feel good about my round the following day.

That night we had a meet and greet and some drinks by the fire pits beforehand. It was great to catch up with some old friends and meet some new ones. Dinner was fun (thanks JB for taking care of us) and I was able to catch up with my partner in crime for the next day--Dawgdaddy at dinner. He is a gentleman in the truest sense of the word and someone I would tee it up with anytime, anywhere. I was pretty worn out and went to bed early that night.

The next day, I, like a lot of the other guys was up early. Between the excitement of a THP event and being used to waking up early anyway, there was no way I was going to sleep in. I had a moment of panic realizing that I hadn't charge my phone the night before and not wanting to wake up my roommate Derek (great guy, loves ice cream) I got ready and went out to the lobby to charge my phone and catch up with the family via facetime. We headed over to the course for breakfast before range time.

Range time at a THP event is always a sight to behold. We just take over everything. The guys at the range had no idea what they were in for. Eventually I was called over to hit some shots on the Flightscope. I hit JB's XXIO with the Project X shaft in there and it very straight and high. It is a weapon for sure. MikeDean's XXIO not exactly a good fit. It was interesting to hit, but I was worried the club was going to go flying out of my hands so I only hit a few with it.

After the range it was time to tee it up. Our match was DawgDaddy and myself vs Freddie and MikeDean. I knew it was going to be a tight one and it truly was. After a laser off the tee from Freddie on one, MikeDean hit a great approach shot and sunk a tough downhill putt for birdie. The guys came ready to play. I hit a great shot on the short par 3 #3 for a tap in birdie to get us back to even. I won't go through each hole, but the entire match was back and forth on the front with great shot after great shot. If you wanted to win a hole, you needed a birdie

The back was a trickier format and neither team settled into a great rhythm. Randy and I started off strong and a nice lead going. I honestly didn't play well coming down the stretch and put Randy in some tough spots off the tee. Even though Randy did his part and found the fairway on every hole, I couldn't get my approach on the green in regulation. Mike and Freddie grinded it out on the back with Freddie splitting the fairway with his Mini at every opportunity and Mike hitting a great approach from I think 111 yards (you'll have to ask him to confirm) on 14 to give them momentum to get them back in the match.

Freddie and Mike won 17 to get us to All Square going into 18. Randy and I were not feeling great about our chances on 18 since they had a pop and 18 is a beast--an absolute killer finishing hole. I didn't hit a great tee shot but Randy found the fairway and had a long approach with all carry and a good sized group of THPers gathered on 18 green. After not playing well the previous 4 or 5 holes, I had a chance to redeem myself with a good shot here. I took a deep breath and took smooth swing my 4i. With the wind in my face I couldn't tell if it was going to be long or short so I yelled fore just in case it sailed long. The shot found the green. Relief--I didn't let our team down as we were able to finish the match AS. It was a fitting end to a hard-fought match against two guys I am lucky to call friends.

It's been a long week. Hoping to have my recap up this weekend. Thanks for all those who have already completed because I keep reliving last weekend and it was great!

Part II

Saturday night was dinner and match ups were picked by Tadashi and War Eagle. Was absolutely honored that Freddie decided to have us out in the first pairing again. Ryan paused and then said we would taking on him and CplJohnst. I knew both guys could play so I knew it was going to be a tough match.

Rest of dinner was War Eagle giving me the scouting report on his golf game - all bad according to him but I knew better.

Also got to hang out with my Grandaddy captain, Cookie and it was great to catch up.

We headed out to the patio after a spirited discussion on whether the first hole went left or right.

On the patio, Chump Fries says the magic words and we head out in search of ice cream. Being a slight superstitious guy, I got the same flavor ice cream as the night before. We tried to leave a sleeping JonsinVa in the car..a couple of times, but he woke up.

Sunday morning came and I was up before my alarm. Headed down for a quick workout and stretching, we head to the clubhouse for breakfast. Their cheesy grits were great!

On the range, I was surprisingly calm. No nerves at all, but with tee times moved up, there was less time to warm up. Got over to the practice green and I couldn't drain a thing. Loved the excitement on the green as it was obvious everyone was ready to go.

After some final instructions from JB, we are on the tee. 4 good drives and we are off. After good shots by War and CplJohnst, we managed to squeeze a half on the first hole.

Both teams held serve on #2 and I just had a feeling it was going to be a close match.

OITW birdie the #3 after a great tee shot.

We then proceed to take the next two holes and found ourselves up 3 after 5.

On the 4th hole, Alex out drove me by about 2 yards and I think it was posted everywhere as evidence. :)

On the way to the 6th tee box, Alex and I talked about putting the pedal to the metal. We knew they were going to come back.

At the 6th, I had a great drive and approach, leaving us with a great chance to go up 4. I promptly three putted to half. Uh. Oh.

On the 7th, War dropped a birdie putt after a great approach to cut the lead. Here they come..

On the 8th, Barry had a great tee shot, makes par and I three putt again. We are now up by only 1.

On the 9th, we stopped the bleeding and halved to finish the front 9 leading.

The 10th brought on alternate shot and my last experience with the format was not good. So to say I was a little anxious is an understatement.

Alex had the idea the night before that I would take the even holes on the back, letting me tee off on the Par 5s. Pretty good strategy.

#10 was first though and I put it just off the fairway. Alex had a great approach and we win the hole.

#11 we were able to take again after a great tee shot from OITW and my approach left us just about pin high. Back to +3.

On #12, we had another opportunity to take it to +4, but my approach left a tough chip for OITW and we halve the hole. Uh oh..

On 13, Beags and Barry put a nice combination together and take the hole..+2 and here they come!

#14 - I had my worst drive of the day and left OITW.. well OITW. He tried to punch out but the trees were unkind. I tried next and was rejected. Knowing I was going to hit a hybrid on 16, I used the rest of the hole to get a swing in with it. War and CplJohnst take the hole and we are back to +1.

On to 16 and a tough Par 3. War's tee shot is dry. OITW played his usual draw, only the draw didn't happen and we are wet. I got cute on the my approach from the drop zone and spun down the hill into the water. We concede the hole and we are all tied.

Barry leads off 16 and in typical fashion, splits the fairway. I followed with a hybrid off the tee and we are both in the fairway.

I am sure everyone remembers the front right pin position on 16 - well both groups kept their approach shots left. We are on the green but in the top left corner of the green.

After studying a little, I was able to get my putt just to the top of the crest and it slowly trickled down close to the hole. Phew. We are able to take the hole and head to 17 up 1 again.

On 17, War hits one of the guttiest tee shots and going off Josh's reaction, almost had a hole in one. What a response.

They take the hole and we head to 18 all tied.

On 18 and sounding like a broken record - Barry hits the fairway. I managed to hit my best drive of day, splitting the fairway down the middle.

War's approach is on front of the green. Alex's approach draws on him and ends up being a little long behind the green.

Barry's putt gets them close to the hole. Putting all of my weight on my front foot, I chipped hoping to land on the fringe and stop relatively close. I actually missed my spot, but the ball checked up and stopped pin high..phew.

OITW was able to sink the par putt and we take the match.

It was easily one of the best matches I have played in, possibly the best. War Eagle and CplJonhst are great people and I had a blast the entire round.

We then sat back and got to enjoy watching the other groups come in. It was such a blast watching matches come down 18..Dawgdaddy with a killer approach. Freddie dropping a putt on 18 for a half.

Afterwards we gather outside the clubhouse as the Wool Warriors were the Champs and Brianmk24 is deservedly named the MVP. The look of surprise on his face was priceless. Congrats to everyone on the Wool Warriors - you played great golf and I couldn't be happier for you guys.

As for partner - OITW. It was a blast my friend. I had a front seat to watching you play some great golf and our scripting ideas for Saturday was fantastic. There was no way I was matching you on Sunday.

Most people don't know that this was the 3rd time we have been partners in an event. We actually lost the Pittsburgh event on our last hole, so we were both hoping for a little redemption.

MMaynard it was great seeing you again and thanks for doing the driving.

Iceyshanks - good to see you buddy as always. I hope we can tee it up together soon.

Toad, Just Hacking - good to see you guys and sorry I didn't get a chance to talk with both of you more.

I now know that Jeff Spicoli doesn't look like Sean Penn and he really does look like Matt Kuchar. It was fun watching him hit a few bombs on the range.

Freddie - thanks for being you and such a great captain. Thanks for the push and keeping us focused leading up to the start of the weekend. I would gladly play on your team anytime.

I know I am not naming everyone, but it was great to see those I have met before - again. It was great to meet so many THPers for the first time as well.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I really portrayed the excitement in our Sunday match. It was such a back and forth match - it was an absolute blast.

Perhaps my favorite round of competitive golf. Damn that was a fun round.

Except for the losing part.

This is going to be long. I apologize. Part one:

Thanks for all recaps so far everyone. Recaps are always hard for me to get going because I don't feel like I will be able to do the event justice. I will say that I've been fortunate to be part of 6 or 7 THP events and this weekend was one of the best I've been part of. Each event has their own merits, but the Kickoff Classic was just about a perfect THP gathering IMO.

Kudos to JB, Morgan, and Mike Dean for picking such a fantastic venue for us. The resort was ideal for THP event IMO (minus the bed bugs for JB). The outdoor area was awesome for hanging out with everyone pre and post dinner. The staff at both the hotel and course were great. I would go back in a heartbeat.

My trip started on Thursday, hitting the road around 3:30 and leaving straight from work. I had about 7 hours to go, so I was pretty much all business on the trip down. Mojo being the great guy he is, had secured a room near the course and wouldn't let me pay for anything. I got him back in small way the next day, but thanks again, buddy. Anyway, I got in late and we stayed up talking about the event and family. We got up early and headed over to RTJ and had some breakfast with eliterate (Mike) before our round with Chumpfries (Courtney). Mojo picked up a super fly 1/4 zip and we were able to scope out the course.

I loaded up on the cart with Mike and we hit the range and practice green before the round. I hit Mike's M1 on the range and kind of wish I hadn't as I hit it really well and came away super impressed. We met up with Courtney and eventually figured out how to set up our Gamebook game. No one played great on Friday on the Lakes course, but we each had some moments and more importantly, had a great time. Mike hit a bomb off the tee on 12 and we all hit some good shots on 17. I was a little rusty but hit enough good shots to feel good about my round the following day.

That night we had a meet and greet and some drinks by the fire pits beforehand. It was great to catch up with some old friends and meet some new ones. Dinner was fun (thanks JB for taking care of us) and I was able to catch up with my partner in crime for the next day--Dawgdaddy at dinner. He is a gentleman in the truest sense of the word and someone I would tee it up with anytime, anywhere. I was pretty worn out and went to bed early that night.

The next day, I, like a lot of the other guys was up early. Between the excitement of a THP event and being used to waking up early anyway, there was no way I was going to sleep in. I had a moment of panic realizing that I hadn't charge my phone the night before and not wanting to wake up my roommate Derek (great guy, loves ice cream) I got ready and went out to the lobby to charge my phone and catch up with the family via facetime. We headed over to the course for breakfast before range time.

Range time at a THP event is always a sight to behold. We just take over everything. The guys at the range had no idea what they were in for. Eventually I was called over to hit some shots on the Flightscope. I hit JB's XXIO with the Project X shaft in there and it very straight and high. It is a weapon for sure. MikeDean's XXIO not exactly a good fit. It was interesting to hit, but I was worried the club was going to go flying out of my hands so I only hit a few with it.

After the range it was time to tee it up. Our match was DawgDaddy and myself vs Freddie and MikeDean. I knew it was going to be a tight one and it truly was. After a laser off the tee from Freddie on one, MikeDean hit a great approach shot and sunk a tough downhill putt for birdie. The guys came ready to play. I hit a great shot on the short par 3 #3 for a tap in birdie to get us back to even. I won't go through each hole, but the entire match was back and forth on the front with great shot after great shot. If you wanted to win a hole, you needed a birdie

The back was a trickier format and neither team settled into a great rhythm. Randy and I started off strong and a nice lead going. I honestly didn't play well coming down the stretch and put Randy in some tough spots off the tee. Even though Randy did his part and found the fairway on every hole, I couldn't get my approach on the green in regulation. Mike and Freddie grinded it out on the back with Freddie splitting the fairway with his Mini at every opportunity and Mike hitting a great approach from I think 111 yards (you'll have to ask him to confirm) on 14 to give them momentum to get them back in the match.

Freddie and Mike won 17 to get us to All Square going into 18. Randy and I were not feeling great about our chances on 18 since they had a pop and 18 is a beast--an absolute killer finishing hole. I didn't hit a great tee shot but Randy found the fairway and had a long approach with all carry and a good sized group of THPers gathered on 18 green. After not playing well the previous 4 or 5 holes, I had a chance to redeem myself with a good shot here. I took a deep breath and took smooth swing my 4i. With the wind in my face I couldn't tell if it was going to be long or short so I yelled fore just in case it sailed long. The shot found the green. Relief--I didn't let our team down as we were able to finish the match AS. It was a fitting end to a hard-fought match against two guys I am lucky to call friends.
111 is confirmed

Great pics, Courtney!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are my hero!

Except when in the 150-160 range. Can't help but laugh watching 441's walk of shame from 175 yards away. Full on slouch mode.

I have really enjoyed reading all the recaps, I know you guys had an great time! I hope to be able to experience a team event like this one day.

Except when in the 150-160 range. Can't help but laugh watching 441's walk of shame from 175 yards away. Full on slouch mode.

I let him down by not hitting it to 111yds. That's all on me!

Back