Fairway woods hotter than drivers?

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently heard someone say that fairway woods dont have the restrictions that drivers have, therefore can actually be hotter. Is that accurate? If, how much hotter than drivers can they get, COR wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The COR limit of .830 applies to all clubs. The only clubs the USGA doesn't test for COR are putters. 15 years ago fairway woods were nowhere near the limit and now most of them are.

So, if I understand correctly, if a driver and a 3 wood currently have the same loft and shaft lengh, they would go the same distance if hit square on the face?

So, if I understand correctly, if a driver and a 3 wood currently have the same loft and shaft lengh, they would go the same distance if hit square on the face?

Yep. I have a 43.75" Callaway 1.5 Mini in my bag set at 12* that goes close to my driver distance. It's not uncommon for me to hit it 265ish.

Not really. CG placement and spin play a large role.

Loft and length are only one facet to distance.

Not really. CG placement and spin play a large role.

Loft and length are only one facet to distance.

Very true. But the bottom line is the fairway woods these days are very hot giving nearly identical smash factors to drivers, just not as much forgiveness with the smaller face.

Back