St. Louis, MO THP Outing - Gateway National April 16, 2016

I'll know today for certain for both of us

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP Updated.

Wu, put me down as a maybe. 4 hour drive from KC, 4 hours for golf and 4 hour return trip home. My wife has family there too so maybe she'll tag along, visit family, and we just stay the night. I may be able to make this work!! Maybe I can even combine this into a scenic motorcycle trip/golf get-away!!

wubears71 is there a decent pub around Gateway? Not sure what's in that area.

I suppose we could head over to Soulard pretty easily from there for post round beverages/dinner.

Wu, put me down as a maybe. 4 hour drive from KC, 4 hours for golf and 4 hour return trip home. My wife has family there too so maybe she'll tag along, visit family, and we just stay the night. I may be able to make this work!! Maybe I can even combine this into a scenic motorcycle trip/golf get-away!!

There's a couple others from the KC area that I think are coming and mentioned a carpool, come on a bring a car full.

Gotta say, I'm really looking forward to seeing you guys playing as single digits get around the golf course. The guys I normaly play with are always in the 90's or 100's. I shouldn't be too much of a liability in the shamble format though. My biggest problem is keeping the driver in the fairway.

Myself and my lurking buddy will be coming

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's when I left. Everyone in NE wanted Bo Pellini and instead NE went with Callahan. I think for Bo took over right after Frank instead of going to LSU that program would have been in good shape.

As much as folks might have been clamoring for Bo - Neb ended up finding out Pelini wasn't the answer.

Put me in as a maybe. I wouldn't mind taking a driver down to golf with some THPers

Hmmm... A couple of maybes from the Chicago area? We need to figure out if this might work. I'm pondering either going down Friday night, and playing 36 Saturday, or early Saturday morning, staying Saturday night, and getting another 18 in on Sunday morning.

Of course, this all assumes that a little schedule blip can get worked out in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

As much as folks might have been clamoring for Bo - Neb ended up finding out Pelini wasn't the answer.

Hmmm... A couple of maybes from the Chicago area? We need to figure out if this might work. I'm pondering either going down Friday night, and playing 36 Saturday, or early Saturday morning, staying Saturday night, and getting another 18 in on Sunday morning.

Of course, this all assumes that a little schedule blip can get worked out in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

If you want to do that, I can definitely make it happen on my end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Did anyone see this sweet thing on the website? http://shop.gatewaynational.com/4-Some-Special-18H-of-Golf-w-Cart-Range-Balls-Lunch-4-GRP-Lunch.htm

2. This needs to be more than 1 day/1 round to make the trip worth it

Pondering until the final version of this is settled

I'd definitely be up for 9 that morning, doing the shamble, and then 18 early on Sunday. 11am tee time would make it hard to get in 18 holes for a group Saturday morning.

I'm coming up either way, it's just under 2 hours away, so not too bad of a trip. I understand how only 18 holes would be hard to make the trip worth it. I'm up for playing all the golf I can get in that weekend.

Ill be coming down friday night now with the fam and leaving sunday night. Where is everyone staying?

For me it will probably depend on where we play extra rounds at, but I'll probably be looking to stay around the Fairview Heights area. Cardinals home opening weekend is that weekend, so staying in STL will be crazy.

I have a few ideas for a Sunday round. Lemme do some homework tomorrow and I'll post something later for consideration. I would agree that it'll be a bit of a madhouse downtown being the first weekend at home for the Cards.

For me it will probably depend on where we play extra rounds at, but I'll probably be looking to stay around the Fairview Heights area. Cardinals home opening weekend is that weekend, so staying in STL will be crazy.

not too familiar with the area, how far is Fairview Heights from Gateway? My wife will be taking/picking me up from the course so I would like to stay relatively close to the course.

not too familiar with the area, how far is Fairview Heights from Gateway? My wife will be taking/picking me up from the course so I would like to stay relatively close to the course.

It's about 15 min down the highway. Stone wolf and Far Oaks are good courses around there.

Fairview Heights seems to make pretty good sense if you guys want to play Stone Wolf or Far Oaks on Sunday.

There are plenty of hotels in the Fairview Area, a decent mall and all kinds of bars/restaurants.

Or you can hop the Metrolink to downtown STL for a night on the town. There's a station in Fairview Heights.

wubears71 - Stone Wolf and Far Oaks are both owned by the same guys who own Gateway right? Any chance they'll give us a deal if we play two courses... or all three?

Wu and 5150 know better than me, I'm just more familiar with that area and know there are plenty of places to stay and lots of good places to eat close to FH. I'll be hitting up Lotawata Creek for a meal at some point that weekend, it's so good. I'm not real sure about hotels in the Madison/Granite City area.

wubears71 - Stone Wolf and Far Oaks are both owned by the same guys who own Gateway right? Any chance they'll give us a deal if we play two courses... or all three?

They are all managed by Walters but owned by different people. Discounts on Weekends are near impossible to get this time of year due to the demand. At gateway the Normal rack rate is $74 for 18 on a Saturday at 11 am in April but I was able to get it at $59.

Wu and 5150 know better than me, I'm just more familiar with that area and know there are plenty of places to stay and lots of good places to eat close to FH. I'll be hitting up Lotawata Creek for a meal at some point that weekend, it's so good. I'm not real sure about hotels in the Madison/Granite City area.

Lotawata had a huge fire last summer. I know a server there that still has not been back. I'm not sure if it's open yet.

Fairview Heights is (in my opinion) a better option for hotel/food/drink than Madison/Granite.

Fairview Heights is (in my opinion) a better option for hotel/food/drink than Madison/Granite.

Agreed. Madison and Granite city are dumps and to an extent the ghetto. Fair view is more suburbs.

Agreed. Madison and Granite city are dumps and to an extent the ghetto. Fair view is more suburbs.

I suppose it's really up to you out of town guys but seems like Fairview Heights makes sense OR Edwardsville (my home).

There's a Holiday Inn and Country Hearth (similar to a Embassy Suites but smaller) in Edwardsville. It's 15-20 mins from Edwardsville to Gateway National, Far Oaks and Stone Wolf. It's basically a college town - Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is a driver and a 6i from my house.

But it's really not up to me since I'm not traveling... up to the out of town guys. Fairview or Edwardsville are both good options; one's on the southeast side of STL and the other on the northeast side.

That's kind of what I thought, just didn't want to put out bad info.

Checked out the Stone Wolf and Far Oaks websites and they look good to me. I think it would be a great mixture of courses. Gateway seems to be links style, Stone a Nicklaus course, and Far Oaks more of a budget course. The all-inclusive options are nice too and I appreciate the deal you got us at Gateway Wubears71! All of it in pretty close proximity too.

I'm a project manager by trade so I have a hard time denying my OCD urges to organize things, LOL... lemme know if I'm getting overbearing here guys.

So it looks like we're zeroing in on Fairview Heights as a central point for out of town folks, at least one round at Gateway on Saturday and at least one round at Far Oaks or Stone Wolf on Sunday.

We could look at a warm-up 9 holes somewhere early Saturday AM (it'd have to be dawn patrol, but I'm fine with that) before the 11:00 am times at Gateway.

We could also look at playing 36 on Sunday but not sure if those of you who are traveling want to play 2 rounds AND travel home the same day.

Chime in guys... this is fun; looking forward to meeting everyone.

That's kind of what I thought, just didn't want to put out bad info.

Checked out the Stone Wolf and Far Oaks websites and they look good to me. I think it would be a great mixture of courses. Gateway seems to be links style, Stone a Nicklaus course, and Far Oaks more of a budget course. The all-inclusive options are nice too and I appreciate the deal you got us at Gateway Wubears71! All of it in pretty close proximity too.

I actually like Far Oaks much better than Stone Wolf. Stone Wolf is a Nicklaus course in name only as the condition is just okay. Plus it has the worst 5 starting holes of any course I've played.

Back