Honest opinion on what to do for new irons

squidthunder

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of purchasing some new irons, and just wanted some feedback regarding some of the options I have.

So, I'm about a 15-16 HCP, and recently sold my old set of Burner 2.0's. I also live on the east coast of Canada, which makes access to purchasing clubs pricey (ex. Ebay). I normally do the majority of my shopping at our local Golftown store. I have also been saving a fair amount of Golftwon gift cards over the past few months for various occasions (ex. Xmas, birthday, etc).

So, I've been at Golftown trying out some different options, and I do want to stay within some sort of budget so the wife doesn't divorce me. I've completed the Mizuno swing analysis to determine shaft options and swing speed as well (stiff)

So, some options:

1 - Taylormade M2

I tried the irons and they were probably the closest things I've hit that reminded me of my Burners. Yes, the lofts are strong, but like anything, it's going out to determine those distances. And it seems it's about a 1/2 club difference to my Burners. The current price at Golftown is $850 which includes a free wedge, that I'm selling to a friend for $100 - so $750 for the irons. As well, TM has a promotion for free shaft upgrade, so I can upgrade the shafts to Project X 6.0 (recommended by Mizuno test) at no extra cost. Also, the irons would be custom length (I need a +1 for my height) and lie adjusted accordingly. With my gift cards, the actual cost would be minimal.

2 - Taylormade Speedblades

I hit those as well, and liked them. I did feel a bit better with the M2, but I don't think it was a game changer. The Speedblades are the only set left in the store (floor model) and currently selling for $499. A big price drop from the M2. One of the big issues is the lack of the shaft upgrade. It's only stock shafts for the Speedblades. Someone did recommend checking online for some 2nd hand shaft pulls, but I'm not 100% if that's the best option. I could probably get a set of shafts at a decent price and then get them installed. As well, I would have to get +1 extensions put on the shafts instead of the true +1 length compared to the M2

3 - Taylormade Rsi2

As I'm writing this, I just checked on the Golftown website, and they have the Rsi2 for a price of $599 ($550 off the regular price). That does not come with a free wedge like the M2 irons, but it does come stock with KBS Tour shafts.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks guys

I only have one piece of advice. Buy the ones you love. That could mean the ones you hit the best, the ones you like the look of the best, OR the ones that are the best deal. Whichever way you go, don't second guess it, because you'll be back in this position in a month or so wondering the same thing.

Also, don't sleep on the stock shaft in the SpeedBlades. I was told that it had very similar characteristics of the KBS Tour 90 shafts.

Get the ones you can afford first of all. The find the most forgiving irons that you like the look of. Simple as that.

All good choices. Pay attention to the fitting process, especially with the shafts. I hit my same irons yesterday with the KBS V-90 shafts against mine with the V-110 shafts and I didn't like the V-90's lighter weight at all. It completely changed the feel of the irons.

Give the Cobra King F6 irons a test drive, FST flighted steel or Graphite shafts.

I'm with jochan 100%. Get what you love, and that's the only way you'll be happy long term I think. I love the m2s and don't care anything about what the lofts are, neither should you. Get what you like the best. I have some mizunos I bought I while back and I still love them. Plus you got tax returns coming too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely listen to the advice and go with the ones you like. Handicap has very little to do with it. How the club looks behind the ball, how it feels, how the ball reacts. Those are the important things. Golf club reviews and opinions are by and large irrelevant when choosing new clubs as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely listen to the advice and go with the ones you like. Handicap has very little to do with it. How the club looks behind the ball, how it feels, how the ball reacts. Those are the important things. Golf club reviews and opinions are by and large irrelevant when choosing new clubs as far as I'm concerned.
I wouldn't lump opinions and reviews together and assume theyre one and the same, the good reviews keep the opinion out of it. I know a lot of places out there don't though. Just throwing that out there. Different strokes, different folks.

Well, I originally tried out the RSi 1 and liked them a lot but they never had a custom shaft upgrade. The rep at the store then pushed me towards the M2 with the shaft upgrade option. I hit them pretty well also, they just seem a tad on the chunky side.

Honest opinion on what to do for new irons

The first thing is don't buy anything until you are sure.

Is there a reason you are focused on TM irons? There are so many options out there that are great. You may be overlooking something.

I agree with Johan about buying what you can afford but I disagree if there's any implication about that meaning buy the least expensive set. It's a bigger purchase - buy the right set that's within your budget. I'd rather spend my full budget to get what I live than save a couple hundred and get something I kind of like. You don't actually save money this way because you end up coming back to but yet another set of irons to replace the ones you don't love.

It reads to me like you don't love any of the sets just yet. I recommend patience until you do.

Well, I originally tried out the RSi 1 and liked them a lot but they never had a custom shaft upgrade. The rep at the store then pushed me towards the M2 with the shaft upgrade option. I hit them pretty well also, they just seem a tad on the chunky side.

Well...of course the employee pushed you towards the brand new ones. But I've never found stock shafts to be that detrimental at all personally.

IMO I'd go speedblades out of what you listed above, especially if money is a factor in this decision.

I originally started off with hitting the RSi 1, Nike Vapor Speed and the Cobra Fly Z. From those 3, the RSi performed the best. I was going to hit the G30s but they look like shovels to me.

I'm not trying to go with the cheapest model, I understand that it has to come down to what feels the best - but price point is considered as well. I guess I'm trying to find that perfect balance.

Play what feels best to you and what's the most comfortable.

Don't rush the decision process...go with what feels good for your game. I tried the TM RSi 1 and then settled on the Srixon Z545 because they felt good and felt they're best suited for my game.

Good luck with your search.

Play what feels best to you and what's the most comfortable.

Best and simplest advice is the best in my opinion! I agree 100% with this! Doesn't matter what we like!

Honest answer.

Don't limit yourself to only TaylorMade. Hit a bunch and buy what u like if they are a little cheaper than planned buy some expensive balls you normally wouldn't buy.

So many great iron options don't put yourself in a hole by sticking one brand.

If possible, take one club each to a range and pit them in a contest - which one has better distance and consistency.

Like some said, you can also try other brands, but TM is okay.

Well, I plan on going in tomorrow and hit a few more in the simulator. 7 irons for each and hopefully get a better idea on where my head is at regarding a decision.

And I'm not trying to go with just TM, it's just they seem to be in the bracket I'm looking at, and I good results with my old burners too.

Callaway Apex CF16. You're welcome.

As others stated, go with what you feel works best for you and is within your price range, but ultimately you need to be happy with the clubs you buy.

You'll know it when you hit them. You will like the look, the feel, the sound and the numbers. If the guy fitting you is worth his salt, he will confirm it. Good luck and don't limit yourself to the possibilities, Try as many as possible.

As others have said try as many as possible in your budget and on different days. I've wanted new irons in the past wandered in to a store hit as many as possible and brought a set. Then got to the range and course and found I didn't like them for whatever reason. Now I hit everything I can and on different days. Normally my gut instinct on what I want works for me.

Read the reviews on here as they are probably the most un-biased ones you will find written online. I have plenty of time to cruise the internet reading reviews and always come back to here, regardless of manufacturer, release dates and frequency, the reviews are uncluttered, unbiased and factual.

Back