Status
Not open for further replies.
81b0a42f12ab84e85dffe36dd655205e.jpg

Hogan helping me get my THP on!

When Vickie is out of town, I get popular. Go figure!

993dc2c62ea81ca46fbb5cb643657cb7_zpst7r8p2a9.jpg

J
m

New sofa delivered today, Scooby has already picked out his spot.

10406900_10205861031621781_2408711755035278299_n.jpg

The Pets Thread

Since I'm off today I'm spending a few hours with my grandmother and her six year old over-active black lab mix Carrie:

68f5566581b3b9e0f5747af69e26a96b.jpg

b2bc3a09749509a1cec3f21743357ea2.jpg

Hi all maybe the wonderful people here can help. I and my wife are at our wits end with my dog chewing through brand new harnesses we buy. We,ve spent close to 120 dollars and he has wrecked everyone. Ive tried the listerene trick but doesnt seem to deter to long. So any help and suggestions will really be appreciated. Thx all and hit em far and straight.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hi all maybe the wonderful people here can help. I and my wife are at our wits end with my dog chewing through brand new harnesses we buy. We,ve spent close to 120 dollars and he has wrecked everyone. Ive tried the listerene trick but doesnt seem to deter to long. So any help and suggestions will really be appreciated. Thx all and hit em far and straight.

Is your dog crated during the day when you are not home?

ATTN:

As you all know, we have been dealing with a sick pup for a while now, and I posted a week or so ago that her time was quite limited. Well, I have a very important update on this that every pet owner needs to know about, and we found out about it all very much by accident!

Lady has had severe sinus issues for many months now, and we went through about every antibiotic treatment from the vet to try and figure this out. You may recall that I said the problem just kept getting worse, and the x-rays were 'inconclusive', so the vets thought there was a possible tumor or sarcoma or something way up in her sinuses. We had actually made up our minds to see if she might pass in her sleep the next week, and made an appointment with the vet to put her down this Friday, the 26th.

Saturday morning, while I was in Alabama playing in the Kickoff Classic, my wife went and grabbed a few things at the store. Along with milk, cereal, and some other things, she grabbed a new scent for the Air Wick plug-ins we have all over the house (not my idea, I hate them, too). Within a half hour of her plugging them in, Lady started sneezing uncontrollably and coughing and was standing at the back door to go outside. (Smart dog) Thinking quickly, the wife unplugged every air freshener, opened all the windows, and turned on the big house fan to pull all the air out of the house through the attic. She got Lady back in the house and within a couple hours, she was not only back to her sickly looking self, she was actually looking better than she had in weeks. She kept the windows open and as Lady continued to clear her nose (she learned how to do the snort and swallow the snot thing) she kept looking better. The wife calls me at RTJ telling me all this and we're just freaking out. So the plan was to see how much better she might act over Saturday night and Sunday.

During the 2nd round matches, I got a text saying "you wouldn't believe this was your dog if you came home right now" and I'm just blown away. Apparently, she woke up, full of energy, ran downstairs to do her business, then completely offed a full bowl of food and was begging for more. She ended up getting in the trash, something she has NEVER done, and finding some old chicken wing bones, and was just acting like she hadn't eaten in weeks. Jennifer finally called me and told me her eyes were wide open again and not all watery, no more snot coming out of her nose, and her tail was up and wagging, which we hadn't seen in a while.

At this point, the wife is plenty pissed off because we've been dealing with this, and the dog has been suffering with this, for a very long time, and had she not accidentally discovered this allergy, we would have put her down Friday for no reason. Granted, we know she's still 14 and could go any second, just as any 90 year old could, but this would explain why the blood work we've done the last two times at the vet's office came back perfectly normal, although she was sick as a dog (haha see what I did there?)

After going back and forth and back and forth again, the roller-coaster of emotions was a wrecking experience. Jennifer is furious after we found some things on the interwebz about these air fresheners which is why I'm posting this; so you will all be aware of the potential for illness, or worse. It looks like we'll get some more time with our baby. The vet is weening her off the steroid she was on and wants us in there in a week to check her out again. I think she's pissed, too, and might be doing some kind of write-up on it. I would have preferred she might think of something like this, but at least we caught it.

Here's some information from the www

Spoiler

Holy crap! I'm glad you figured this out. I wonder if that is what happened to Roscoe a few years ago. I did have to put him down. Stopped eating and was sneezing and coughing to where he'd throw up. I did use those air fresheners as well. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him.

Holy crap! I'm glad you figured this out. I wonder if that is what happened to Roscoe a few years ago. I did have to put him down. Stopped eating and was sneezing and coughing to where he'd throw up. I did use those air fresheners as well. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him.
Oh God, buddy, that stinks to high heaven. Sounds familiar though, as our vet(s) didn't have a clue and just kept throwing antibiotics at her because of all the green snot and horribly bloodshot eyes and wheezing. I'm sorry to hear that.

81b0a42f12ab84e85dffe36dd655205e.jpg

Hogan helping me get my THP on!

A man's best friend. Truly the love a dog has for his owners is the definition of unconditional love.

Is your dog crated during the day when you are not home?
Yes he is its prolly why he did it but this has only happened recently
Normally he is fine in there, he doesnt poop or pee so I dont know. We did forget to remove the harness today and we werent expecting that

Yes he is its prolly why he did it but this has only happened recently
Normally he is fine in there, he doesnt poop or pee so I dont know. We did forget to remove the harness today and we werent expecting that

Sounds like separation anxiety. I would make sure his/her crate is inly large enough for them to stand up and turn around in.

My all white dog came in from outside pretty much half brown, covered in mud. What a mess, I hate this time of year. Only good thing is it means spring is close.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sounds like separation anxiety. I would make sure his/her crate is inly large enough for them to stand up and turn around in.
Oh it most def is big enough he can turn and stand as well as sleep stretched out no problem. Bad on us for mot removing it I guess. But how do I stop the chewing

Oh it most def is big enough he can turn and stand as well as sleep stretched out no problem. Bad on us for mot removing it I guess. But how do I stop the chewing

Is it just the harness or does he chew other things?? Like if you put a bed in his crate with him do you think he'd chew that too?

Never tried a bed he has never had one. But im pretty sure he might wreck that too u know

Only other things we let him chew are toys. Hes chewed other stuff we lefy out by mistake like empty envelopes but thats our fault. Its funny if we r there and tell him leave it he backs off. If we r not, destruction.

Never tried a bed he has never had one. But im pretty sure he might wreck that too u know

Ours would too but I think it's out of boredom than anything else. We always throw a nylabone or sometime of hard bone they can chew on in the kennel with them to keep them from getting bored. We don't put anything they can destroy in their with them, but they certainly would I think. They're totally fine outside of the kennel when we're home tho. The only thing one of them seems to get into is socks for some reason. If we leave socks on the floor and we fall asleep he'll eat them. We took lessons with a dog trainer and asked about this and her response was put them where he can't get to them. Unfortunately some of the toys we get them (squeaker toys) have the same feeling as a sock so he probably doesn't know the difference. Kind of a long winded response but I think this one is one you have to chalk up as forgetting to take the harness off the pup. Could it be a comfort thing as well? Does he wear the harness around the house normally or just when going for walks?

Walks usually , I never considered the boredom thing,duh stupid. Ill try a chewie for him so hes not so bored, I mean we love him hes a lot of fun so cool and a beauty too this by no means will make us give up. I would never anyway im fully committed to helping his chewie addiction. Lol

Thanks - she is a Cavapoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cute. Could be a breed to add to the list of breeds to look at when we get a dog.

I'm on the board of our local shelter and we held our annual fundraiser last weekend "pawject runway". It was a great time!
Princess Leia & Yoda

Tequila Sunrise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back