THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Man this IS tough, I have 5 for each region and you're all my friends so don't get all #butthurt on me guys for this post :angel:

If I was a Captain for these regions my picks would be:

Emart: he is active in the forum... May e more than he should be :alien: he has a positive disposition and he has put in a ton of work on his game since he first joined THP.

T2GRN: this guy is what THP is all about, truly embodies the essence of the forum - but let me tell you a story, Kevin is a GAMER, i watched him, from the tips on the 18th hole smoke a drive knock the approach to 6 ft then drain the bird putt. This is about winning and every team needs the finisher and Kev is that dude for the DMV.

Caa_beat: Rob, people say that I smile alot, but Rob definitely takes the cake on this one, he's active in the forums and just one of those guys that no matter what's going he's genuinely happy to be on the golf course

Carolinas:

Deuce - i dunno dude just hit went 13/14 on fairways hit, i've never done that, says gamer to me, has a solid forum presence oh and with his new bag setup I would play his sticks :)

Trout Bum - or WCHM, the master of tempo, we haven't met in person, so this would be the perfect event for that, and to see him put the work in, would mean for some great golf to be seen on he course. Oh and he has the coffee hookup!

Lightningbolt - Ron You can't spell fun with out the R-O-N, guy can GOLF his ball that is for sure, but on and off the course Ron has fun is active in the forums and probably one of the nicest guys on the forum so when he closes you out 6&5 you won't be feeling bad about that you'll have a new best friend

And remember i had a couple of others for both teams but damn I don't envy the Captains, this was HARD

Glad I don't have to make the pics as there are some good pics on both sides and the captains have tough decisions to make. I don't know many of the Carolina guys who are still eligible. For guys on both sides no hard feelings here on the pics.

Since it's a given I would pick myself because I will bring it before and during the event with updates and keeping everything on THP for all to see. I will be working hard to have a game that is ready for the event and the whole season. I believe I am a good teammate (ask jdtox) and will do whatever it takes to help the team but also to ensure a good time is had.

There are 5-6 guys I could choose from, If I wasn't the pick my DMV choices are

lyncburgh - he is active on the forum, he has team experience from Legacy last year. I have no doubt he will bring the updates to THP all the way thru the process and will be ready for game day.

CAA_Beat - when I think DMV his name is always at the top. He is what THP is all about. He will help a THP'er out when in need, he is always there with words of encouragement or to offer the other side of a discussion. I can't think of a better person to rep this region

mizunofan - a good competitor. Lots of guys have stepped up their forum presence since the announcement of the RR for this region and I think of all the guys I have got to know him more on the forum than when we were at an event together last year..

for the Carolinas

deuce - the guy has brought it with his feedback on the C200s and no doubt he brings it leading up to the event. With his game he would be a weapon for the Carolina team

chetsteadman - his name stands out as one I have seen more on the forum lately and if Trouter likes him it's got to be a solid choice

vflashv - he has THP team event experience, he has a solid game for the amount of time he has been playing and I don't recall seeing him hit to many wayward shots. He is consistent on the course and a good guy I have had the pleasure of knowing for a good amount of my time on THP.

Good luck hopefuls! I can tell you the captains did not have it easy!

For you guys that have spoken about not being equipment junkies, or teaching pros, or what ever. There is no requirement to be a certain way on THP. It's come as you are here. Do THP the way you want to do it.

I have to disagree with you a little on this. While there is no requirement to be a certain way on THP, tere is a requirement/discussion on the need to be "active" and interact on the forums to be selected for these type of events. There is no official definition of this, it does imply that you need to be an relatively active poster and be engaged outside of THP. I personally doubt you would pick a player to be on your team that doesn't have an presence on THP other than a PM that expressed interest in being on the team.

I have met a few great people from this forum and look forward to playing golf in the future outside of THP and THP events. I am interested in participating in this THP event and have tried to do what I think is expected; as have many of the other people on the forum.

For me, I'd say:

Clutch-he's working hard on his game and very active on THP. Seems like a planner, which appeals to me.

Deuce-the Wilson Staff man! Love all the activity he brings and love the honest feedback he gives on his rounds and equipment. Seems like he's really pushing to improve his game.

Finally, I'd put Ron in. Since he's no longer captain, that means he's eligible. He's super active, knows the game, has game, and is a cool dude.

Bring it!

Glad I don't have to make the choice, and as fas as if I will keep posting? Well, I'm here and I ain't going anywhere. All my best to those who get selected and Beat Carolinas! Go TeamDMV!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow..Captain, I had a feeling you'd ask this at some point, and I've gone over the answer in my head many times, and it's damn near impossible to pick only three, and we only have to do for discussion purposes, I can't imagine how tough it is for you and Captain LB. That said here goes:

TeamDMV:
EMart2173-OITW summed it up perfectly, he is all over THP, and always in a positive constructive way But not just a yes man, if he feels something needs to be said or someone called out, he'll do it. The guy has supported so many THP events over the 1.5 years that he's been a member, I think going to three, and I know trying for at least 5 or 6 more each year. Having played several rounds with him, I know he'd be a positive influence on the team. He knows the golf swing as well. He can give a qucik simple tip or reminder on the course to help his teammates get back on track, if something is going wonky with their game.

CAA_Beat-I'm confident I'd be a great representative of the region and for THP. I have been active in all parts of the forum since joining, I embrace Social Media and love interacting with the OEM's on there. Having been to three official THP events, I get the fact that you are lucky enough to have a spot that many many others would have cherished, and I realize the responsibility that comes with that spot in bringing it to the forum and social media. I like to think I'm a great teammate, offering encouragement when needed and knowing when not to say anything.

The 3rd spot is truly tough, I honestly can think of 5 guys who could easily go into this spot. But one as mentioned above I'm on Social Media alot and of those 5 one, has stood out above the rest in that aspect and to me that's the tie breaker as it's a huge part of this event.

Mizunofan99-Truly a great ambassador for the area. I finally had the pleasure of meeting Mike at a local outing in the fall and getting to be part of his foursome. What an enjoyable day that was. In addition to being a rock steady player, he's just a agreat guy. For me, that was the day that Mike really seemed to feel connected to the rest of the region and well before we got the nod to RR he was becoming more active in the local thread and througout the forum as well. He's a tough competitor and with his game and positive attitude, he'd be a huge plus for the team.

Carolinas: Disclaimer, to be clear. If I understood correctly, we can't pick members already on the team, so Captain Bolt, and Spicolli weren't considered, as well as Troutbum, who earler mentioned he couldn't make it due to a new job. Otherwise thsese would have been strong contenders for my picks.

Duece-The guy is just awesome, I haven't met Tom in person yet, but it's hard not to find him on THP or Social Media, he gets it. I know we are about the same playing level, although going by some of his recent recaps he may be trending down a lot quicker than I am. It would be true honor and pleasure to potentially go up against him in a match.

Dustin(numbers) -Don't know him at all, but seems like as a relativity new member, he has been very active and his posts always contain a ton of enthusiasm and excitement. You can tell he really wants it, and I think it would be a great first experience for him (unless i"m missing something and he's been to an event)

ChetSteadman: Have had a few PM conversations with Chet about college sports, I know he's got an athletic background and it'd be cool to get to know him. Like Dustin and Duece, his enthusiasm has shown through.

For me, I'd say:

Clutch-he's working hard on his game and very active on THP. Seems like a planner, which appeals to me.

Deuce-the Wilson Staff man! Love all the activity he brings and love the honest feedback he gives on his rounds and equipment. Seems like he's really pushing to improve his game.

Finally, I'd put Ron in. Since he's no longer captain, that means he's eligible. He's super active, knows the game, has game, and is a cool dude.

Bring it!

I am slow this morning ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow, I'm pretty glad I wasn't a captain. I'm not sure JB was doing these guys any favors by selecting them, even though it is quite an honor. Who would I pick if I were captain? Got to say, it's a hard choice, and I could fill out a bigger team without question. But only picking three? Tough.

Team Department of Motor Vehicles
1. T2GRN18
- Hard to pick against one of JB's picks because I know JB spent a good deal of time selecting these guys and entrusting an events success with these individuals. I haven't met him, but I know he's passionate about THP and golf, and I see him everywhere. He has a workman's attitude and I get the impression he's all about getting it done. You definitely want someone like that on your team.
2. CAA_Beat - He's everywhere, and has the attitude you want for your team. If I looked up the word commitment, I'd see his picture there. Always one with an encouraging word, I imagine he's rock steady on the course, and he'd set the tone for the lead-up to the event. Not only is he someone I want to tee it up with soon, he'd be my first selection.
3. Emart2173 - Pretty sure he and I disagree more than we agree on a number of issues, but that doesn't mean I can't respect the heck out of a straight shooter. Love the "call it how I see it" mentality, and it works well for a team. Haven't seen his game, but it's talked of very highly and if as many people vouch for him as they have, he'd be a solid pick.

Team Carolinas
1. Lightningbolt44
- Like with T2GRN18, hard to go against JB's selection. Have had the pleasure of playing with Ron many a time and they're always great fun. Ron knows the game, can hit it a country mile, always has fun, and is always supportive. If I were captain, he'd be my co-captain as he carries much more gravitas than I could.
2. ChetSteadman - Met him briefly at the last Carolinas outing, but have heard about his game and seen him interact on THP. He's got it, and he gets it. Hope to be able to tee it up with him soon.
3. Clutch42 - Guy has stepped up his game for Regional Rivalry. Eye on the prize, and you want that fire in the belly for your team. I haven't had the pleasure of playing with him (that I can recall ... I'm bad with names, better with faces) but would like to change that sooner rather than later.

So many good folks to select from, it's hard to stop at three. Plenty of guys I would like to - and have - teed it up with, and would more than happy to select for the team, and more importantly that deserve it just as much as everyone else.

I have to disagree with you a little on this. While there is no requirement to be a certain way on THP, tere is a requirement/discussion on the need to be "active" and interact on the forums to be selected for these type of events. There is no official definition of this, it does imply that you need to be an relatively active poster and be engaged outside of THP. I personally doubt you would pick a player to be on your team that doesn't have an presence on THP other than a PM that expressed interest in being on the team.

I have met a few great people from this forum and look forward to playing golf in the future outside of THP and THP events. I am interested in participating in this THP event and have tried to do what I think is expected; as have many of the other people on the forum.

I understand what your saying, and you are correct. The likelihood of me selecting someone who isn't as active as I feel is necessary to represent the DMV is very low. But I also stated early in this process, I wanted to see people get out and see THP, All of THP But let's be clear, that is something I'm personally looking for. With these selections coming from within the region and not the entire community I felt comfortable with making it a pseudo requirement. I think those that have done so have seen that there is a lot more out on THP than they ever previously thought. And I appreciate all the efforts from everyone who has expanded their comfort levels outside of their norm.

Again. It's not anything mandated by THPHQ. There have been many people selected in years past for some of the biggest events on THP that weren't the most active people here. It's good for growth IMO.

At least Delaware got to represent. Otherwise it would have been Team MVA. :bulgy-eyes:

Team Department of Motor Vehicles

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Good luck guys! Still sorry I won't be there. Even if I wasn't picked I was gonna come down and root everyone on. The beach house is only 1 hour from there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. Emart2173 - Pretty sure he and I disagree more than we agree on a number of issues, but that doesn't mean I can't respect the heck out of a straight shooter. Love the "call it how I see it" mentality, and it works well for a team. Haven't seen his game, but it's talked of very highly and if as many people vouch for him as they have, he'd be a solid pick

this is funny. I was thinking the other day we seem to be on opposite sides of some issues but then some of your posts about the apple issue I was thinking "I like what he is putting down", best part that is what makes THP great...we can have good honest discussions and share our opinions and disagree on things, agree on others and in the end have a great time playing golf together

OK this is going to be long so get ready! First, just got back from playing 36 holes today. The weather so great we went back out and enjoyed it to the fullest. Started early, 8:00AM, conditions were rough but fought through it to shoot a satisfactory 80 for the morning round. Hit my driver great, missed one fairway. Putting with condions of the greens was questionable as to whether it was me or the greens. Some of both I suspect! The second round( after some libations) was even better, shot 78! In February with 15-20 mph winds! Not bragging just implying all the hard work this winter is going to pay off during the season.

Now who would I pick... I obviously would exclude myself.

Team DMV

1. Emart2173 - not sure it is possible to have a better ambassor of THP than Eric. Met him first at the Bridgestone University. This point and I think it is important as this my first exposure to the THP experience, Eric and Mike Burnham (Carolinas team- so we won't talk about him) made me feel welcome and part of the group. Just for the sake of accuracy, Alex ( OTIW) was the third person who really helped. I think of these people as friends even though we only spent a couple of days together. Eric is a great guy, if you don't know him you need to make a point of looking him up when you get the chance you will not regret it.

2. CAA_Beat : Never met the man but there is something about his posts that is infectious. I really am looking forward to meeting him whether it is at this event or just a local THP outing. Seems to have the type of attitude I would want to have on my side no matter what the endeavor might be.

3. T2GRN18 - What hasn't he done to promote this event and get everyone involved? Have never met the man but his commitment to THP and what it stands for is outstanding. He's not afraid to tell you he thinks you're wrong or encourage you if he thinks that what you need. The very definition of a leader! Looking forward to him leading DMV to victory!

Team Carolina

1. Clutch42 - he reminds me of me. A little uncertain at first but now has fully engaged in the process. He will be a worthy competitor and someone I hope to be able to call friend. I hope he gets the opportunity he deserves!

2. Deuce - another guy who seems to just get it. He's everywhere on the forum and social media ( I wish I has his skills)
I love most of his comments. He also would seem to be a consummate competitor. I get the feeling he will embrace the chance to it's fullest. I hope I get to meet him in person soon!

3. Lightningbolt44 - I don't think JB chose him by accident. The job he and Kevin had was difficult to say the least and impossible to say the most. Getting everyone involved without discouraging hopefuls is a task I'm sure I wouldn't want to have but Ron did it with humor, feeling and compassion. He will help the Carolina team be very difficult to beat.

I apologize to to all the worthy candidates I did not list! I'm sure you are all great people and hope to get to know each of you better over the few years. If you get selected and I don't then all I can say good on you mate! Good Luck!

OK this is going to be long so get ready! First, just got back from playing 36 holes today. The weather so great we went back out and enjoyed it to the fullest. Started early, 8:00AM, conditions were rough but fought through it to shoot a satisfactory 80 for the morning round. Hit my driver great, missed one fairway. Putting with condions of the greens was questionable as to whether it was me or the greens. Some of both I suspect! The second round( after some libations) was even better, shot 78! In February with 15-20 mph winds! Not bragging just implying all the hard work this winter is going to pay off during the season.

Now who would I pick... I obviously would exclude myself.

Team DMV

1. Emart2173 - not sure it is possible to have a better ambassor of THP than Eric. Met him first at the Bridgestone University. This point and I think it is important as this my first exposure to the THP experience, Eric and Mike Burnham (Carolinas team- so we won't talk about him) made me feel welcome and part of the group. Just for the sake of accuracy, Alex ( OTIW) was the third person who really helped. I think of these people as friends even though we only spent a couple of days together. Eric is a great guy, if you don't know him you need to make a point of looking him up when you get the chance you will not regret it.

2. CAA_Beat : Never met the man but there is something about his posts that is infectious. I really am looking forward to meeting him whether it is at this event or just a local THP outing. Seems to have the type of attitude I would want to have on my side no matter what the endeavor might be.

3. T2GRN18 - What hasn't he done to promote this event and get everyone involved? Have never met the man but his commitment to THP and what it stands for is outstanding. He's not afraid to tell you he thinks you're wrong or encourage you if he thinks that what you need. The very definition of a leader! Looking forward to him leading DMV to victory!

Team Carolina

1. Clutch42 - he reminds me of me. A little uncertain at first but now has fully engaged in the process. He will be a worthy competitor and someone I hope to be able to call friend. I hope he gets the opportunity he deserves!

2. Deuce - another guy who seems to just get it. He's everywhere on the forum and social media ( I wish I has his skills)
I love most of his comments. He also would seem to be a consummate competitor. I get the feeling he will embrace the chance to it's fullest. I hope I get to meet him in person soon!

3. Lightningbolt44 - I don't think JB chose him by accident. The job he and Kevin had was difficult to say the least and impossible to say the most. Getting everyone involved without discouraging hopefuls is a task I'm sure I wouldn't want to have but Ron did it with humor, feeling and compassion. He will help the Carolina team be very difficult to beat.

I apologize to to all the worthy candidates I did not list! I'm sure you are all great people and hope to get to know each of you better over the few years. If you get selected and I don't then all I can say good on you mate! Good Luck!
I'm glad to see I made a lasting impression out at Whiskey Creek last fall :). You know the gathering I set up for the region.

I'm glad to see I made a lasting impression out at Whiskey Creek last fall :). You know the gathering I set up for the region.

Sorry, to many people , too much beer! You want me to lie would you?

Just got off the course, shot a 96, this was my first 18 hole round of the year and I was hoping it would be better, but I'll get it straightened out. You could tell I was rusty, I couldn't hit my driver for the first 9 holes. It got a little better on the back side, so I ended on a good note.
Just think, this time tomorrow we should know who fills out the rest of the team! Come on Monday!

Pretty costly mistake on the eve of selections.....just saying

I guess if that's the deciding factor I'm doomed. Wait until you're my age , you won't remember where you parked you car! My apologies sir!

Good luck to the hopefuls and I hope I make the cut.

I honestly don't know who would be my 3 picks, but I would probably mix it up. Many of the hopefuls on both sides haven't played in a THP event. I would probably select at least 1 and then maybe pull in a veteran. My last pick would be a wildcard but I would go with my gut and select someone who has an intangibleness to them. They would be the go-getter and maybe go the extra mile.

Ultimately it would be a tough choice, but thinking back on my two THP events I feel that combination should and will work.

I guess if that's the deciding factor I'm doomed. Wait until you're my age , you won't remember where you parked you car! My apologies sir!
What does age have to do with it? I'm a senior tour wannabe? Quit while you're ahead (not really ahead btw)

What does age have to do with it? I'm a senior tour wannabe? Quit while you're ahead (not really ahead btw)

If you're not in your 60's then you 've got a lot to learn. You go to bed feeling fine and and wake up with aches and pains. My wife swears she doesn't pound on me in my sleep but I'm not so sure! Got to have some fun. Its been a great day and possibly... A better one tomorrow! Believe me, I have my fingers and toes crossed just like all the other hopefuls!

I guess spending 18 holes in the cart with him. I didn't make much of an impression either

Don't worry Kevin. If. MizunoFan and I both somehow make the team. I'll make sure he doesn't forget the way to the course

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Back