Highest Lofted Wedge

Have a 60* ping zing 2 lob. Use it for sand and certain chip shots when sitting up in the tough. I also use it for the "coolest shot in golf", the full swing pop it straight up and only have it fly 20 yards.
Because you need a 60* to pull off the " coolest shot in golf" , I say go with the PM grind 60* , after all Phil Mickelson just might say to himself, when faced with a flop shot, what would Maddog701 do?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

My highest wedge is a 58.

I'd go with the RTX. I think with the way you described the two uses the RTX puts you in a better mindset. Aggressive around the greens a great equalizer.

My highest is my 60 and I use it for anything inside 50 yards plus bunker flop shots near the green.

What do you use highest lofted wedge for? – My Highest lofted wedge is a 60 and is mostly used for sand shots when the sand is dry and fluffy. I also use it for flop shots and full shots. My 56 is mostly a “grass” club but I will use it in wet or hard sand along with full shots. My wedges are the same brand and model so the feel and look on both are similar and using one or the other is not a big concern.

What would you do in my situation? – First, I like to match my wedges so they have the same look and feel. Second, I have not tried the PM grind but I have a Eye2 Gorge wedge that has a similar head design. From what I have read, the PM Grind is sort of a specialty wedge and takes a lot of practice to use. I found that the Gorge was very good out of the sand but it takes a lot of work to use it for other shots so it is in the basement. You may want to I would stay with the RTX and keep the versatility and match your other wedge.

Just my thoughts.

I have a similar dilemma. When the snow finally melts I am going to have a shoot out between my MD3 W grind 58 and a 60 PM grind I picked up. Heck they both may be in the bag depending on the course.

Knowing your game and what you can do with a PM grind, I don't know how you can even consider taking it out. I think it gives you more options and that extended high toe gets used far more than most realize.

I'd go with the RTX. I think with the way you described the two uses the RTX puts you in a better mindset. Aggressive around the greens a great equalizer.

This was the way I read it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to only carry a 56 but I was having trouble out of the sand so I have moved to a 58, which is pretty much the only time I use it. On the rare occasion, I use it if I need to chip up to an elevated green as I can use the height and it seems to stop pretty quickly. I never had much luck with a 60 and I just find it easier to open up a lower lofted wedge, it just feels more versatile. Hard to say what YOU should do, but I guess that answer would be to stick with whatever you are most comfortable with and what club gives you the most shots and best chance of getting close.

This exactly!

If you feel you can be more aggressive with the RTX, definitely go that route. Not be aggressive with that high a lofted wedge leads to bladed shots for me.

Gaming 64 deg now, it is a niche club but in the right situation a lot of fun to hit and drop and stop with the PM grind.

I also have the rtx in 58. Its a fantastic wedge for exactly as you described. I rarely use it for full shots either and I feel like it's pretty versatile. No need for me to go higher

This is me as well

If you have everything you need with the RTX then stick with that, but if you can cover all of your shots with the PM then maybe you need to look at how often you need to hit that really high shot that lands soft and stops quickly and see if it is worth having the 6 degree gap (assuming you are still playing the RTX 2.0 54) instead of the 4 degree gap....?

So I'm going back and forth on my highest lofted wedge from my RTX 2.0 in 58 degrees and the PM Grind in 60 degrees.

I like both. I love the versatility of the PM Grind for specialty shots and it looks like a "pancake" the way it lays flat. I also love the RTX for pure use and the ability to be aggressive around the green.

I should add that I use neither for full swings. So that leads to the questions.

What do you use highest lofted wedge for?
What would you do in my situation?

I have both in my bag. 58 for most shots around the green, and either one depending on the bunker / sand type. My 60 is beat to hell and the only club I'll hit out of the rocks with (outside of the occasional rescue club in tournaments).

But I also don't play with a 3 wood, haven't in years, so have the room in my bag for both. If I had to choose just one, it would be my RTX 58.

Mine is a 60 with only 4* bounce. It is my go to around the green, off tight lies, and unreal out of the bunker. I have holed out many times last year with this club.

Highest Lofted Wedge

My highest lofted club is a MD3 60 w grind. I use it primarily for green side bunkers or shots around the green where more of a high flop is needed (not often for me).

You've hit some pretty good shots from suspect lies (the one against the THP call out with 441 comes to mind) with the PM, I'd probably keep it if I were you.

I carry a 60 most of the time, sometimes it gets dumped out of the bag though.

I would carry the 60. While I haven't played the Cleveland RTX's, I just find a 60 to be too useful when needed.

My highest lofted is a 58. Right now I use it for full shots and shots around the green. Recently I have been trying use use my 54 more for full swings and the 58 around the greens.

I would say go with the PM grind as you seem to be using it for more speciality shots. If you have another wedge in the bag that allows for those other shots.

Mine is 60.

I would go with whatever you feel is more versatile. Your not using them for full shots, so which one do you feel you can manipulate more (open, close, etc.)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My highest lofted is a 56* bent to 55*. Use what club is the pull for the most shots you are presented with maybe?

JM

Highest Lofted Wedge

Without knowing the composition of the other end of the bag my initial thoughts would be to go with your comfort zone. My highest lofted wedge is a 60. Has been for 10+yrs.

Last edited:
My own experience would not be germane to yours I suspect. I play many elevated greens so do use my highest lofted wedge (60*) for just about everything - full shots, pitches and chips although I do not open the face much.

60 with 12 bounce. Bunker only shots or very fluffy next to green. Out of the bunker I play it nearly fully open. Around the green go back to my 54 with 8 bounce. Clean and crisp.

What do you use highest lofted wedge for?
I use my 60* for greenside rough, flops, and fairway shots from chipping range to around 60-65 yards.

What would you do in my situation?
I'd go with whatever gives you the most versatility (probably the PM Grind?).

I have a 58* PM grind and will use it for full shots but mostly partial swings/pitches/chips. Think it is the best club around for versatility, in your situation I would see if you could trad the 60* to someone for a 58*.

I have a 58* bent weaker to a 59*. I use it for everything inside a 3/4 swing. That doesn't mean I use that one club exclusively, but based on what I want to happen. I read that a lot of people on here are not using a higher lofted wedges, which I think is crazy. Getting some practice in with the wedges and learning how to hit them properly is really important.

If I were you I would bag the PM. Sounds like you can game it. Key was no full shots, so enjoy the versatility.

I, on the other hand, need to reign in my chipping and wedging. I like to go air force and play for cutesy shots, with poor success thus far. My first instinct is to pull out 60; PM would tempt me even more.

Back