Club head speed.... changed my whole game

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
I have been working over the winter at increasing my club head speed. It is surprising how easy it was once you get the hang of it. Less effort in the swing takes getting used to... as does the extra 20 yards per club' 60 deg through 8 iron, plus 3 wood and driver. Suddenly having trouble controlling 6 and 7 iron, but at least for now I really don't need them. Also having trouble with hybrids. With my club head speed now on the high side of 80s to 90, I am better able to manage my game, hitting less than driver and still reaching greens in two, much more often.

So....what types of exercises have you been doing to increase your club head speed?

So....what types of exercises have you been doing to increase your club head speed?

Started with an Assist Weighted club... pictured. Controlling the "Woosh". Using it for exercises to improve my hip/shoulder turn and my hinged/unhinged wrist action near point of impact. Repetitions without ball and follow through on range with ball. Really concentrating on NOT swinging hard. I've also started taking cycling really serious... 100 to 200 miles a week, which is strengthening my legs and core. At my age of 71 the improvements are really obvious with my game.

12800102_10153625744438401_3421827984554866285_n.jpg

It is an eye opener just to get a bit more speed, I also have been trying ever since the Driver testing to get more CH speed by working on flexibility and better turn, etc. and it has helped by the Drives I am seeing on the Course.
It is odd that just this week on two different visits my 7 iron speed was from a low of 80 to a high of 90 (yesterday) now that high was only 1 swing and maybe the stars just aligned and I did things correctly all at once, but on the LM at the Driver testing my SS was 90 with a driver. So by those SIM numbers my Driver should be around 100mph. (just a guess)

Now I know the SIM does not actually measure CH speed but calculates it somehow so sure it could be inflated, but that far off seems odd. Maybe I have made some gains in SS, but I sure don't think it was 10 mph. That seems almost impossible to me.

One of the younger guys I play with fairly regularly said to me that he gained 10 mph swing speed just by doing kettle ball exercises. He blows the ball by me, by as much as 50 yds at times.

So, I started doing kettle ball work, infrequently. It actually helps with a lot of the core and balance work! Strength, too.

That is a good idea and fairly low impact too I believe, I have to be very gentle with the Shoulders after all the Heavy weight training of my youth they are ruined. I might just get off my butt and go back to Dick's and make sure I did not miss the new B330 and buy a Kettle ball. (a light one)

Good for you getting on your bike 100-200 miles per week at age 71! I took up cycling about 7 years ago and it is a big part of my fitness routine for hopefully decades to come.

Sounds like you've made great progress on your swing speed as well.

that's great. The exercise and the higher club speed leading to better distances. Glad your able to still control the swing.

That's fantastic at the age of 71 to be out there grinding on the game. Interested to see if the scores drop now that you have gain so much yardage. It's should be like a whole new game.

Started with an Assist Weighted club... pictured. Controlling the "Woosh". Using it for exercises to improve my hip/shoulder turn and my hinged/unhinged wrist action near point of impact. Repetitions without ball and follow through on range with ball. Really concentrating on NOT swinging hard. I've also started taking cycling really serious... 100 to 200 miles a week, which is strengthening my legs and core. At my age of 71 the improvements are really obvious with my game.

Wow... Good for you! Keep up the great work! Cycling is a great form of exercise.

A weighted club swung slowly at first will increase strength and flexibility. IMHO!

So, for those who wonder what even a modest increase in CH speed will do for you.... I am (have been) basically a 17 handicap, even though I am still fairly new to golf... on my 4th year now, and wish I had started years ago. Anyway... I most always shoot in the low to mid 80s, with occasional high 80s/low 90s. Since improving my CH speed. my 9 iron has gone from 120 max to 140 yg avg. My Gap wedge (51 deg) had gone from 85 yards to anywhere from 85 to 115 yards. My average driver is up from 215 to 230, with burst above 240. For the first time, I have played my Home course front 9 in even par and shot a low (for me) 74 (+3), today. How is this happening? I'm actually swinging smoother and seemingly slower, and I can sense the club head accelerate as my wrist unhinges and I hit through the ball. I no longer try to hit my drive as far as i can because I am able to get it to a manageable distance... and use a 47 or 51 degree wedge to the green on my second shot; I actually hit 3 wood off the tee more often and 6 iron to the green. With the added distance and control (due to easier swing), I am hitting more greens in regulation and my misses are closer... (left / right / bunker). Example hole, on my Home Course (today).... 520 yard Par 5, dogleg left: Drive 238 yards; 2nd shot 204 yard 3 Wood; 3rd shot 78 yard 56 deg wedge to center of green; 2 putt for a 5. Some concentrated effort and work to improve CH speed can really make your game a whole lot more fun.

So, for those who wonder what even a modest increase in CH speed will do for you.... I am (have been) basically a 17 handicap, even though I am still fairly new to golf... on my 4th year now, and wish I had started years ago. Anyway... I most always shoot in the low to mid 80s, with occasional high 80s/low 90s. Since improving my CH speed. my 9 iron has gone from 120 max to 140 yg avg. My Gap wedge (51 deg) had gone from 85 yards to anywhere from 85 to 115 yards. My average driver is up from 215 to 230, with burst above 240. For the first time, I have played my Home course front 9 in even par and shot a low (for me) 74 (+3), today. How is this happening? I'm actually swinging smoother and seemingly slower, and I can sense the club head accelerate as my wrist unhinges and I hit through the ball. I no longer try to hit my drive as far as i can because I am able to get it to a manageable distance... and use a 47 or 51 degree wedge to the green on my second shot; I actually hit 3 wood off the tee more often and 6 iron to the green. With the added distance and control (due to easier swing), I am hitting more greens in regulation and my misses are closer... (left / right / bunker). Example hole, on my Home Course (today).... 520 yard Par 5, dogleg left: Drive 238 yards; 2nd shot 204 yard 3 Wood; 3rd shot 78 yard 56 deg wedge to center of green; 2 putt for a 5. Some concentrated effort and work to improve CH speed can really make your game a whole lot more fun.

Congrats on the new low!!

great job, makes golf fun to see improvements

A weighted club swung slowly at first will increase strength and flexibility. IMHO!
You should also swing a weighted full speed not slow as well as swinging just a shaft or lighter than normal club as hard as you can. Over speed under speed training will get you better results swing speed wise, can't neglect the fast twitch muscles.

This post is awesome keep up the great work

Back