Pga tour and lpga announce strategic alliance agreement

[h=1]Finchem details PGA Tour, LPGA alliance[/h]
PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem offered his opinions Sunday into what makes the PGA Tour’s new strategic alliance with the LPGAappealing to his men’s organization.During the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Trump Doral, Finchem said a surge in the growth of golf among junior girls and young women around the world has caught his tour’s attention.
“The women's game on the amateur side is perhaps the fastest-growing aspect of our sport, here domestically and certainly around the world and Asia, et cetera,” Finchem said.
Finchem also said he has been paying attention to the “smart” approach the LPGA has pursued in cultivating international markets.
Finchem said the PGA Tour wants to collaborate with the LPGA in further “tapping into the global marketplace.” The LPGA has a solid foundation in Asian markets with events in South Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia and Thailand. The LPGA also has events in France, Australia, Mexico, Canada and the Bahamas.
“The LPGA is already positioned as a global tour,” Finchem said. “An increasing percentage of our customers, whether they be title sponsors, official marketing sponsors or just involved in the tournament at some level, are international companies ... I think I'd have to applaud the LPGA for making the tough decision to say, `OK, we're going to be a global tour, and, as a consequence, we're not going to have as much presence in the United States, but we are going to take advantage of parts of the globe where we are more popular than the men. That was a very smart way to go about it.’”
The tours say their alliance will help with coordinating schedules and with joint marketing, domestic television and digital media strategies, but that there is no transfer of ownership or control. The tours remain “wholly independent and separate.”
The PGA Tour is active in a number of grow-the-game initiatives, including a women’s initiative it launched three years ago.
The LPGA-USGA Girls’ Golf program reports growing from 5,000 participants in 2010 to 50,000 last year.
“The growth of women in the game is crucial, absolutely crucial, to our ability to grow the game,” Finchem said.

I read Finchem's comments and see a commissioner that is trying to make more money and doesn't really care about a true partnership or growing the game. Maybe i'm cynical, but it feels like the men's tour ignored the potential of events outside of the US & now that the LPGA has capitalized they want a piece.

For as much as I distrust Finchem, I really like Michael Whan. He may be the best professional sports hire in our lifetime. He has done a lot for the betterment of golf in general.

It would be great to see a mixed pairs weekend event much like a presidents cup or solhiems cup format.

I would love to see a Masters for the LPGA, that would boost there viewer numbers. A couple weeks after the men play there.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I would love to see a Masters for the LPGA, that would boost there viewer numbers. A couple weeks after the men play there.

I personally think this would be HUGE for the women's game, but unfortunately the PGA Tour has no control over this one, it's all Augusta National's decision.

I would love to see a mixed gender event at some point, and I would also like to see the women play the same courses as the men because some of the courses just aren't quite as challenging. Also if they really slow the greens down for the women, that's kinda stupid and they should make the speed comparable.

Only way the women ever get to play a tournament at ANGC they need to get there am status and win the mens am or mens mid am. I guess maybe in 50 years when all the old members die it could change, but I highly doubt it.

Only way the women ever get to play a tournament at ANGC they need to get there am status and win the mens am or mens mid am. I guess maybe in 50 years when all the old members die it could change, but I highly doubt it.

I agree but that is what it wrong with the game, golf snobs!

I suggested something like this back in March of 2014 right here in these forums.

"...the question seems to be what or who is going to sustain the Tiger boom. The only solution I can see is either a woman who can play with the guys, or some sort of professional couples tour where a set man/woman team plays together for the whole season against other man/woman teams in a professional competition. ~ 03-02-2014, 11:36 AM
"

If the PGA of America would like any more advice, feel free to PM me, I got plenty... :D

I don't think a professional couples tour is what they have in mind

Back