Different shaft diameter causing grip taper issue.

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I bought a Mini 1.5 from Callaway preowned with a Mitsubishi Kuro Kage shaft on it. I love the shaft after playing mostly Aldila Tour Greens in my woods for the past few years. The problem is the shaft taper on the Kuro Kage is anything but standard. I just measured it below the bottom edge of the grip and it is 3/32" larger than my Aldila Tour Green. This is equivalent to 6 extra wraps of tape or halfway between a mid-size and a jumbo grip! At the top of the grip the diameter is identical to everything else I have. So far I'm hitting it great but I notice the grip on my right hand being very oversize every time I address the ball with this club which is slightly distracting depending how my focus is. This is the first time I've noticed a large different in shaft diameter under the grip on any graphite shaft. Has anyone else noticed this with other shafts?

I bought a Mini 1.5 from Callaway preowned with a Mitsubishi Kuro Kage shaft on it. I love the shaft after playing mostly Aldila Tour Greens in my woods for the past few years. The problem is the shaft taper on the Kuro Kage is anything but standard. I just measured it below the bottom edge of the grip and it is 3/32" larger than my Aldila Tour Green. This is equivalent to 6 extra wraps of tape or halfway between a mid-size and a jumbo grip! At the top of the grip the diameter is identical to everything else I have. So far I'm hitting it great but I notice the grip on my right hand being very oversize every time I address the ball with this club which is slightly distracting depending how my focus is. This is the first time I've noticed a large different in shaft diameter under the grip on any graphite shaft. Has anyone else noticed this with other shafts?

Yep. I've had some graphites with much larger diameters than others. Can't remember specifically which ones they were, but it's happened on occasion. If you check out the companies website they typically list them though.

i have absolutely noticed it and it drives me nuts. i'm fidgity enough with my grip as it is, now throw in inconsistent diameters and i'm a hot mess.

Back