TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

I'll write up some more thoughts later about this club, but for now I will just leave this here.

e6bebe66a8f5933ceef12ab19cdae111.jpg

05578d39007b5c776212c1e3991f8651.jpg

You're a monster.

I'll write up some more thoughts later about this club, but for now I will just leave this here.

e6bebe66a8f5933ceef12ab19cdae111.jpg

05578d39007b5c776212c1e3991f8651.jpg

Um.... Holy crap. Do you give driver lessons?

M2 served me well on the course today. Long, controlled, one-way miss, beautiful, amazing crisp sound. 10/13 Fairways hit and only two bad misses that were just foul swings. As the confidence grows with it I'm starting to hit better and better shots.

I made sure to keep my miss toe-side today and the results proved that's a solid approach to take with this driver.

M2 served me well on the course today. Long, controlled, one-way miss, beautiful, amazing crisp sound. 10/13 Fairways hit and only two bad misses that were just foul swings. As the confidence grows with it I'm starting to hit better and better shots.

I made sure to keep my miss toe-side today and the results proved that's a solid approach to take with this driver.
Useful dude. I honestly don't think I've ever seen you hit a driver better than this.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I am thinking about my setup with this one. I am thinking I am going to set this one up with the higher loft and open the face a bit.

Adjust my stance a bit further away.

I'm thinking that the combination of those two will help.

Will have it out tomorrow for some more testing, really want to get this one working for my game.

I am thinking about my setup with this one. I am thinking I am going to set this one up with the higher loft and open the face a bit.

Adjust my stance a bit further away.

I'm thinking that the combination of those two will help.

Will have it out tomorrow for some more testing, really want to get this one working for my game.

I went 12.5 today dude.

Do it. Let it eat w thr beags cuts.

I'll have some thoughts later tonight when we get home, hit this for 9 and my gbb for 9.

I went 12.5 today dude.

Do it. Let it eat w thr beags cuts.

I'll have some thoughts later tonight when we get home, hit this for 9 and my gbb for 9.

I'm thinking 12.5 will be a good fit. Open the face a bit, yeah, but I'm good with playing a fade. Hahah

I may try opening mine too so I can tone down the spine tilt and maybe get some better carry. I may try it at the range this week.

I'll echo Jmans sentiment, this is simply the best sounding driver I can remember.

So with some time behind the wheel and two sub-80 rounds in the books, I feel like I can make some contributions.

Just a refresher, I bought the M2 in the following specs: 10.5*, 45.5", Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei CX Blue 60 in stiff tipped .5"

The last time I played a TaylorMade driver was the SLDR S in the 2014 Morgan Cup. Like many, when I hit it on the screws the thing was an absolute monster. When I didnt it was another story. I loved that driver and I have had a soft spot in my soul for TaylorMade since the day I was picked to be a TM staffer in the 2014 Morgan Cup. While the SLDR S was fun, TaylorMade has had their obvious struggles.

When the M1 was announced I was excited and hoped it would be the next TM driver I would bag, but alas it didnt not work. I hated the sound and feel and the performance was lackluster. Granted I never dialed it in adjusting weights, but my anxiety would not handle a forward and sideways sliding weight.

So along comes the M2 and I demo it and it sounds amazing. So on a whim, I bought one to see if it could knock my 816 DBD out of the bag I was struggling with.

So, the M2 is a few rounds in and I am in love. From a looks perspective its awesome. I love the dual color top and the way the gloss white forward area contrasts with the carbon fiber head. I am in the camp that feels it helps frame the ball well.

Sound. There is simply no better sounding driver on the market, period. Not too loud, not too soft. Not too heavy, not too light. It just sounds like I think the perfect driver should sound. TM got it right because the M1 sounded like hot garbage.

Performance. I have 4 drives over 300 in the last two rounds unassisted by wind or slope. My misses are better and more manageable. This driver lets me take a controlled swing or bomb it. My worst miss in 3 rounds was still playable. It simply has helped me score better by keeping me hitting second shots from better positions. It also lets me just go nuts and swing away which lead to probably the longest drive I have ever hit today of 342 yards. Granted it was assisted by wind and slope but I bomb the **** out of this thing.

TaylorMade finally got it right after years of failed gimmicks and crap releases. I know it's cliche at this point but this driver is every bit the classic as the R9 SuperTri was.

I guess I could complain that TM couldnt bother to swingweight my custom build, but right now I am going to forget about that because this thing is ****ing Fuplear.

I can't wait to play another 18.

Useful dude. I honestly don't think I've ever seen you hit a driver better than this.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Its because I haven't .

I agree with the others in here that say it's the best sounding driver, it's so good!
My THP playing partner today wasn't a fan of the sound...but hes obviously nuts.

I also think it's the best looking driver ever (with the M1).

That's awesome Fup. I am really hoping to get this one going for me. Struggling with it off the start, but with more swings, I hope to get it going.

I should add that this driver paired with HZRDUS Black has completely eliminated the left side of the course for me. I can aim up the left and swing as hard or as soft as I want and know that I will not end up in trouble on the left.

Nice Fup! Sounds like you are liking this driver as much as me, except you are actually doing it justice! 300 unassisted yards is no freaking joke.

Played a quick 9 yesterday at a local cause I frequent so I have a pretty good idea of where I am usually playing from after a solid tee shot... But this round was only bagging the M2.

I cannot not say enough how much confidence this club inspires when it's tee'd up behind the ball. The look just screams "power." It was also good to hear the sound on a course, not just among all of the others at the range. This club sounded great and produced a loud solid crack when struck.

I hit 6 of 7 fairways (2par 3's) and it's a pretty open public course ;-) but the one I missed rolled through the dogleg... The accuracy was on. Distance was real consistent as well, however it was still a tad chilly to compare to a warm summer day when you are completely loose and have that mid-season swing, but I was really happy with the results.

This is club left me wanting to continue at the turn, but I had to make it home for a family party... But I am really excited to get it out again ASAP!

Next time I plan to hopefully bag two drivers and hit some side by side tee shots to compare on course, but was real limited on time yesterday so I just bagged the M2 alone. This will be fun to compare though!

Also, my father in law was really amazed by the sound. He kept telling me about how he used to game a few TaylorMade drivers back in the day, but hasn't found one he has liked since... So I let him take a few swings with this and he was all smiles... He might be back on the TaylorMade driver train!

Last edited:
Can you describe more on the ball flight?

Can you describe more on the ball flight?

For me, my flight was mid / high. I started the round fighting a little fade (my natural driver flight is pretty straight/ little draw) but I would say that is all because of lack of golf. I have the 10.5 head and am really liking the launch. On the face, I tend to hit top center most often, but had a few Sat that were out toward the toe... I didn't notice extreme distance loss, but we're a little shorter than where I typically play from ( this could be temperature or not in season shape yet related though)...

Based off first real course observations though, I like the launch I was seeing a tad better than my 815 ( although that is a 9* head set to 10* so that isn't really comparing apples to apples...)

Last edited:
If this question is toward me, my flight was mid / high. I started the round fighting a little fade (my natural driver flight is pretty straight/ little draw) but I would say that is all because of lack of golf. I have the 10.5 head and am really liking the launch. On the face, I tend to hit top center most often, but had a few Sat that were out toward the toe... I didn't notice extreme distance loss, but we're a little shorter than where I typically play from ( this could be temperature or not in season shape yet related though)...

Based off first real course observations though, I like the launch I was seeing a tad better than my 815 ( although that is a 9* head set to 10* so that isn't really comparing apples to apples...)

Thanks for the review! Can't wait to see you hit this club in person.

Thanks for the review! Can't wait to see you hit this club in person.

Forsure, let's hopefully get out soon... I think it's supposed to be a pretty mild next few weeks. I think you will like how this thing flies!

Last edited:
Very impressed by the interesting opines on this driver including the memories of the R9 Supertri driver. That is meaningful to me. I still game my 8.5 Supertri at times.

Going for a driver fitting and have been deciding what manufacture's adapter to put on my raw Project X custom shaft. I think I'm going to go with a TaylorMade one because this driver really has me intrigued. Up until my BB 815 I had gamed 3 straight TM drivers and was always happy. TM seems to have finally gotten it right again with the M2. My only concern is that my miss lately has been on the heel which seems to be a no-no for this club. Regardless, the solid reviews has sold me on giving this some swings at my fitting.

Back