Do you lock your bag when you travel & what happens when TSA encounters it?

Do you lock your bag when you travel & what happens when TSA encounters it?

• Lock and the lock comes back intact

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Lock and TSA destroys the lock

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Ziptie

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Other method of securing the bag

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don't bother to lock/secure my bag

Votes: 35 58.3%

• Total voters

JMN57

Reaction score
Handicap
In flux
To tag onto the TSA Inspection thread (where it seems that most, if not all, bags undergo inspection), how do you secure your bag when you travel.

The choices are:

1) Lock and the lock comes back intact
2) Lock and TSA destroys the lock
3) Ziptie
4) Other method of securing the bag
5) I don't bother to lock/secure my bag

I used to travel with TSA locks on my bags (golf or otherwise) but I found too many airports (do you hear me MIA) just destroyed the locks so I have gone to using a zip tie. My reasoning is less security but more to make sure a zipper doesn't get loose while traveling and just dumping the contents.

No locks, dont want my travel bag ripped/cut open by TSA.

Nope I never lock my bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a lock on, never had an issue

I used to lock it, but it seems like they ask me to unlock it everytime so I dont bother anymore

No need to lock.

No lock, I just make sure the latches are sturdy.

I always lock my bags with the TSA approved locks, and have never had any issues. As someone that used to do the equivalent role at Heathrow some years back, I probably have a lot more sympathy for the TSA than many do.

I don't bother to lock it at all but I like the zip tie idea and may have to start using that.

I use TSA approved locks and in most cases I'm good. However, twice I've had the two locks just missing...

Or the lazy jerks just don't bother to relock the locks they just hang them on there.

I don't get mad often, but the amount of people who are clueless when traveling drives me bonkers...

****End Rant****

I always lock it and use the TSA locks. I've had them opened. But usually relocked with no issue. The thought of not locking them as never entered my mind.

I use TSA approved locks and in most cases I'm good. However, twice I've had the two locks just missing...

Or the lazy jerks just don't bother to relock the locks they just hang them on there.

I don't get mad often, but the amount of people who are clueless when traveling drives me bonkers...

****End Rant****

At MIA, they often use their TSA key to take out the tumbler and then don't replace the tumbler thereby making the lock useless. What's good about a built-in TSA combination lock with latches rather than a tumbler is that they don't ruin the lock when they open it/don't put it back together correctly. I don't know of any golf travel bag that comes with a built-in lock.

To be clear, my OCD on this has less to do with theft (heck, it's easy to cut the bag open) but just a zipper getting pulled open. It doesn't happen often but when you see an opened bag come spilling out at baggage claim you realize what a pain that could be.

Not typically!!

At MIA, they often use their TSA key to take out the tumbler and then don't replace the tumbler thereby making the lock useless. What's good about a built-in TSA combination lock with latches rather than a tumbler is that they don't ruin the lock when they open it/don't put it back together correctly. I don't know of any golf travel bag that comes with a built-in lock.

To be clear, my OCD on this has less to do with theft (heck, it's easy to cut the bag open) but just a zipper getting pulled open. It doesn't happen often but when you see an opened bag come spilling out at baggage claim you realize what a pain that could be.

All of my locks are combo locks. To your point if someone really wants in there they're going to get in there, it's more of a deterrent and some piece of mind for myself. If my bag is just sitting somewhere, someone can't just go and say what do you have here that I can take really easily haha.

I always lock with a TSA combo lock. Never had a problem, it's more for peace of mind than anything else. The master keys are already easily available

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

No lock for me. Just zip and go. Haven't had an issue so far (knocks on wood).

I always lock it. Don't think they are TSA approved locks, so they'll probably cut it when they feel the need to, but I just don't like the feeling of handing of my bags and suitcases unlocked.

I use Abloy Non-TSA high security padlocks on either my pelican cases or surplus steel morter round cases. Every hard-sided "bag" I check has a firearm in it, I've found it makes the TSA and the airlines keep better track of my luggage.

TSA approved lock and I dont have any problems.

I always lock with a TSA combo lock. Never had a problem, it's more for peace of mind than anything else. The master keys are already easily available

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Same with me. TSA approved combo locks.

Never locked it, probably never will.

Back