What order to upgrade your clubs?

I first upgraded my irons but soon after upgraded my driver, FW and hybrid (though I probably didn't need to upgrade my hybrid). I also upgraded my wedges at the same time I purchased my woods (using the data from my iron fitting). A new driver is nice but for a bogey golfer it is getting used for only 25% or so for your shots (putts excluded) during a round. So my personal opinion is to get new irons first but get fitted for them if you have your basic swing pretty much set.

War Eagle was spot on. I agree with his posts.

take a look at taylormadepreowned.com and callawaypreowned.com...I replaced all my sticks last year using taylormadepreowned and ebay...

Thanks again to everyone for your input and thoughts.

Okay, now as a follow up to my original question, I'm looking at a set of irons online and the same irons in stiff flex are $100 less than the regular flex version. Is there a large difference between regular & stiff flex irons if everything else is the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly.. Why upgrade the driver or woods if you can consistently hit your irons, or vice versa. Find something you like by hitting demos and seeing what feels the best and start there.

IMO there is a huge difference, but I would say it depends on your swing speed. If you have an aggressive swing I would use a stiff.

Before you go buying clubs, get a fitting. Some of the big box stores will do a basic fitting for free. That should give you an idea of if you need lie/length adjustments and whether or not you need stiff shafts or not.

Also, there are a few OEMs that will send you a sub-set of irons for you to try out for a couple weeks, basically for the cost of shipping. That would give you a chance to see how much of an improvement their stuff is over what you're playing now.

I'm pretty sure both Bridgestone and Wilson Staff have kind of demo model. Not sure who else does.

Before you go buying clubs, get a fitting. Some of the big box stores will do a basic fitting for free. That should give you an idea of if you need lie/length adjustments and whether or not you need stiff shafts or not.

I've not had a true fitting per se, but I have gone to my local golf store and talked with one of the guys there. He measured me and said standard on the length/lie but he mentioned he would consider stiff on the irons. I was hitting balls, but don't believe I was on the launch monitor at the time.

I hit the Fly-Zs at DSG yesterday and was making good contact mostly in/around what I would assume is the sweet spot, maybe just a tad low on the face. But that was with the regular flexes they had on the wall. I'm afraid I may buy the stiffs and save the money ($100 less than regular flex and $300 less than at DSG) but regret it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I upgraded my irons first, the driver , and now putter is next. If I actually thought it through ... I would've upgraded driver, then putter, then irons. My driver was atrocious and considering you use your putter every hole and they are fairly cheap, I'd upgrade that next.

Back