Recommend a 4 wood head please!

kuyaariel

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I got a shaft ready (Aldila Tour Blue), just need a head recommendation. I prefer a shallower fairway head. I've seen some E8 Beta heads on the Bay, but look too much like my CB pro I just sold (didn't care for the deeper face). I also see some 5 wood heads, but would prefer a 4 wood.

My favorite 2016 fairway I've hit is the 915F. If I was changing fairways, I would almost assuredly go that direction.

If open to 5W heads, the Big Bertha 2014/815/816 are favorites of mine. I've heard lots of good things about the XR Pro too, but haven't hit it myself.

bridgestone jgr. in hand it had the perfect profile for what i want, i just haven't had the time to go test it out. and it's a launcher, so should pair really well with the tour blue (a great shaft by the way).

all of the callaway heads i've tried are too big for my liking including my gamer.
the cobra ltd was close to the right shape but i was only able to try it in 3w and it was too low launch low spin for my swing. and it's on the bigger side.
all of the tour edge i've seen are much bigger in person than photos make them look.
ping is close, but i'm anti-ping.
titleist makes the best looking fw imho, but they don't launch high enough for me.

This offseason I grabbed a 16.5* G25, used it for two range sessions and one 18 hole round. So far really lovin' it, most Ping woods have shallow smaller faces (which I love). Very accurate/forgiving, not the longest but I don't mind.

XR Pro hands down. No doubt about it.

So, I got a shaft ready (Aldila Tour Blue), just need a head recommendation. I prefer a shallower fairway head. I've seen some E8 Beta heads on the Bay, but look too much like my CB pro I just sold (didn't care for the deeper face). I also see some 5 wood heads, but would prefer a 4 wood.

Big Bertha Alpha 816 16* and its not even close. IMO its the best fairway wood option on the market and i know a few here that have tested every other option who would agree with me

Would recommend the F6 the few times I've hit it it has been a beast!

I really like my AeroBurner 3hl

I could game any of the recommendations here. I really like my XR Pro and last years XR Pro maybe even a little better because of the shape. Last years model can be bought on Callaway pre owned for under $100.

I second the 915f and XR Pro options. XR Pro flies as straight as it gets and the 915f is more workable. My 18° 915f is the best club in my bag by far.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I see a lot recommending the XR.

any difference between the XR16 4 wood and 5 wood?

Big Bertha Alpha 816 16* and its not even close. IMO its the best fairway wood option on the market and i know a few here that have tested every other option who would agree with me

I second this. Best FW out there.

I know you said 4w but the V Series 3w is 15.5* and such a high launcher that you should consider it. Shallower head, easy to hit FW finder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to trade in a XCG7 beta 4 wood tonight - I can hold off if you are interested - Lightly used.

No thanks. That was my 4 wood 2 4 woods ago! Thanks though

I'm going to trade in a XCG7 beta 4 wood tonight - I can hold off if you are interested - Lightly used.

Well, at least we know that each other has great taste. :bashful:

Personally I use the PING Anser, but it really has to fit your bill. I hit it long and straight, but my team mates can't hit it if their life depended on it.
I'm really fond of the 2015 Callaway Big Bertha FWW's, especially in 16º degrees, haven't had the chance to hit the 2016 yet. (But will in the near future as I'm pondering it ;))

Another vote for 915f. I have hit them all and always come back to it.

I certainly haven't tested everyone out there, but I've hit a few and the Alpha 816 was far and away the best of the bunch.

From the ones I have hit that are newer I would say either the F6 from Cobra or the Xr16 from Callaway. My two favorite 4W heads this year.

Yet another vote for the 915f. Lots of great options, but the 915f won me over, and is still firmly in the bag.

Ping G, M1, 816 alpha, King Ltd, Nike Vapor Fly, XR 16 pro. In that order were the best performing for me when I went in to get my new fairways. The first 3 being interchangeable.

M2hl and 816 are the best I've tried.

Back