Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to reality today...

It was 35 degrees and a little stiff breeze. My right hand was going numb when teeing off on number 2. I probably would have done better if I walked to get the blood flowing. I scrambled for a par on number 1. I'm thinking here we go again baby, let's get this train a rollin'! That didn't last too long and it was all downhill after that. Wanted to leave but decided to do 9 and bail. I threw up a 5 over on number 9 alone. I even managed a ticker that went a few feet. Ended up with a 53. It was fat city on the uphills and top city on the downhills. What amazes me is I didn't lose any balls with the stuff that was coming off the clubs and if this was early last year, it would have been in the mid sixties.

I have a feeling that your positive attitude will take you to much better places in the game than I'll ever be able to achieve.
i'll share a little factoid with you: I've been playing golf for nigh on 30 years, and have broken 100 exactly 4 times. (One was last year.) I decided about 2 seasons ago, that I was going to enjoy the game, and not let a bad round, hole, or shot bug me for more than 15 seconds. I can hit a bad shot and laugh about it now, instead of being a miserable wretch like I used to. I keep plugging away, and practicing, and know that I'm going to be getting better, someday.

It's all in the mindset, brother.

i'll share a little factoid with you: I've been playing golf for nigh on 30 years, and have broken 100 exactly 4 times. (One was last year.) I decided about 2 seasons ago, that I was going to enjoy the game, and not let a bad round, hole, or shot bug me for more than 15 seconds. I can hit a bad shot and laugh about it now, instead of being a miserable wretch like I used to. I keep plugging away, and practicing, and know that I'm going to be getting better, someday.

It's all in the mindset, brother.

I agree, it's just a game and nothing to get all worked up about. I got a little hot under the collar and things spilled out a few times last year and nothing good comes from it at all. Some old clubs paid dearly for it too. I usually play by myself so that is when it would happen. They were not practice rounds but more like competition from the round before. It can work you over and things can spiral out of control. I try to go with more of a relaxed attitude now and don't dwell upon the bad stuff too much. I might take a slow swing after a horrible shot just to mimic what just happened then move on. If people are behind me then hit and chase the little ball. I might verbally call myself an idiot a time or two after doing something totally stupid that an authority in a white coat might have grounds to lock me up. lol The foul language has not made an appearance and it could have with a few holes this year. I just laughed it off. When playing with others, it's hit and move on.

I yell stuff all the time. When I miss a putt closely it's immediately followed by a "Robbed!!" or "Gahhh!!!". I've cut down on the yelled cursing, now it's just at conversation level, lol. I also let loose with "Poo!!" and "Crap!!" Gotta get that stuff out, give you an ulcer.

The game plays enough with my head, don't need ulcers to go with it. :D

Just got done doing another 18 holes. What a free for all. That one day of brilliance has left no trace on any stroke whatsoever. I'm hitting from the Gold tees and it is taking me 4 shots to get close to the green. Topping my way towards the hole and then ping ponging back and forth with the short wedges. It is very frustrating! The front 9 was a case of missing really easy putts and tapping in for bogies. The back was a total disaster with 2 quads, 2 triples, and pulling a rabbit out of my hat with 2 pars. A 103 is in the books and I got some work to do when I can get back out there.

Walked 9 tonight after work and my daughter's soccer practice. It was only a short par-3 course, so I never had to swing more than my 4 hybrid.

It definitely seems limiting myself to irons and hybrids and leaving the driver/fairway woods in the bag is my best bet for now.

Shot a 37 with 2 doubles and 1 par, every thing else was bogey golf. And while it doesn't really translate to playing bogey golf on a regular course, it's certainly an improvement on the 56 over par 110 I shot when playing this same course in October.

Progress...I'll take it wherever I can find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The game plays enough with my head, don't need ulcers to go with it. :D

Just got done doing another 18 holes. What a free for all. That one day of brilliance has left no trace on any stroke whatsoever. I'm hitting from the Gold tees and it is taking me 4 shots to get close to the green. Topping my way towards the hole and then ping ponging back and forth with the short wedges. It is very frustrating! The front 9 was a case of missing really easy putts and tapping in for bogies. The back was a total disaster with 2 quads, 2 triples, and pulling a rabbit out of my hat with 2 pars. A 103 is in the books and I got some work to do when I can get back out there.
Srx, hopefully the doc will give you the OK to start swinging soon.

Walked 9 tonight after work and my daughter's soccer practice. It was only a short par-3 course, so I never had to swing more than my 4 hybrid.

It definitely seems limiting myself to irons and hybrids and leaving the driver/fairway woods in the bag is my best bet for now.

Shot a 37 with 2 doubles and 1 par, every thing else was bogey golf. And while it doesn't really translate to playing bogey golf on a regular course, it's certainly an improvement on the 56 over par 110 I shot when playing this same course in October.

It's been said to death, but play the longest club you can keep in control. If that's a 7 iron, so be it. For me, I had to take my driver out of the bag, and my 3 wood. I found a different 3 wood I can control and that's my tee club. Driver lives in the naughty bag with the matching 3w. It's helped quite a bit, I'm find new ways to screw up a round at least! I'm much less frustrated when I've got a tee shot I can find, and I enjoy the game more. So if you're able to control the hybos, there's no shame in hitting hybo-hybo-short iron if you need to. There are several par 5s I've played in the last couple of months 3w-3w-9iron. If that gives me a birdie putt, or a par putt if I miss the approach it's still better than playing out of the woods, or taking scuba gear to reclaim golf balls.

Hey, anytime you shoot a thirty-whatever, it's a good day! You are stronger than I am, I cannot resist the siren song of the driver and woods. And I pay for my weakness. Oh, do I pay.

Hey, anytime you shoot a thirty-whatever, it's a good day! You are stronger than I am, I cannot resist the siren song of the driver and woods. And I pay for my weakness. Oh, do I pay.

I always shoot in the 30s....

in the first 5 or 6 holes

:bad:

It's been said to death, but play the longest club you can keep in control. If that's a 7 iron, so be it. For me, I had to take my driver out of the bag, and my 3 wood. I found a different 3 wood I can control and that's my tee club. Driver lives in the naughty bag with the matching 3w. It's helped quite a bit, I'm find new ways to screw up a round at least! I'm much less frustrated when I've got a tee shot I can find, and I enjoy the game more. So if you're able to control the hybos, there's no shame in hitting hybo-hybo-short iron if you need to. There are several par 5s I've in the last couple of months 3w-3w-9iron. If that gives me a birdie putt, or a par putt if I miss the approach it's still better than playing out of the woods, or taking scuba gear to reclaim golf balls.
I like to listen to the voice of reason. My driver is in time out, so it will be a way choked up 3W off the tee this weekend. I figure it's better to hit 150 straight three times, then putt. Than hit it a wild 160 and recover, then hit a worm burner, then a wedge from the rough.

Ha Ha, I wish I could take credit for that level of discipline! If it were a full course I would be hard pressed not to pull them out at least. Hopefully, this experience will help me embrace the idea though.

It's been said to death, but play the longest club you can keep in control. If that's a 7 iron, so be it. For me, I had to take my driver out of the bag, and my 3 wood. I found a different 3 wood I can control and that's my tee club. Driver lives in the naughty bag with the matching 3w. It's helped quite a bit, I'm find new ways to screw up a round at least! I'm much less frustrated when I've got a tee shot I can find, and I enjoy the game more. So if you're able to control the hybos, there's no shame in hitting hybo-hybo-short iron if you need to. There are several par 5s I've played in the last couple of months 3w-3w-9iron. If that gives me a birdie putt, or a par putt if I miss the approach it's still better than playing out of the woods, or taking scuba gear to reclaim golf balls.
LOL. The naughty bag. Awesome.

Well I'm all cut open and patched up. What I suspected was there turned out to be true, so now we heal up. Nothing that would affect a swing if one was to go out and play/swing. <cough> Maybe next Tuesday or Wednesday if me and the weather are nice. What is funny is when I asked the assistant that was bandaging me up about playing golf Friday and she flat out said NO NO and NO She said don't do anything that raises your blood pressure until the delicate stitches are gone. What planet is she from to think that golf would raise one's blood pressure. :D

So I will be listening in to all you guys and gals about the journey of breaking that 100 barrier. Good luck and keep it fun and it will happen!

Well I'm all cut open and patched up. What I suspected was there turned out to be true, so now we heal up. Nothing that would affect a swing if one was to go out and play/swing. <cough> Maybe next Tuesday or Wednesday if me and the weather are nice. What is funny is when I asked the assistant that was bandaging me up about playing golf Friday and she flat out said NO NO and NO She said don't do anything that raises your blood pressure until the delicate stitches are gone. What planet is she from to think that golf would raise one's blood pressure. :D

So I will be listening in to all you guys and gals about the journey of breaking that 100 barrier. Good luck and keep it fun and it will happen!

Take your time and heal up. Golf will be here when your ready for it. Glad to hear everything is all closed up and your healing.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Take your time and heal up. Golf will be here when your ready for it. Glad to hear everything is all closed up and your healing.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Yeah, I will.

Later today, I will be watching them hit on the first 5 holes from my prime parking spot. If I see some single I know, maybe I can bum a ride and watch them play.

I can see myself being a useless caddy! :bananadance:

Yeah, I will.

Later today, I will be watching them hit on the first 5 holes from my prime parking spot. If I see some single I know, maybe I can bum a ride and watch them play.

I can see myself being a useless caddy! :bananadance:
Kind of a crappy day out today. As your unpaid medical advisor, I would recommend a nice warm beverage, a couch, and the Golf Channel

Kind of a crappy day out today. As your unpaid medical advisor, I would recommend a nice warm beverage, a couch, and the Golf Channel

I don't get the Golf Channel but a Swiss Miss and a couch would make me a happy man.

Went to the driving range to work on the driver. Hit 100 balls. 20 were decent, 60 were way right, and the other 20 weren't any good at all. Stinking club is defective.

Just a terrible round today. 60/67 for a 127! I thought those days were behind me. My playing partners had similar struggles. I'm gonna try to just forget about this one and move on.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's got one of those defective clubs!!! LOL!

The manufacturers seem to be putting a lot them out there. I got a whole bunch of them too. :D

Just a terrible round today. 60/67 for a 127! I thought those days were behind me. My playing partners had similar struggles. I'm gonna try to just forget about this one and move on.

At least you stuck it out. I'd be heading for the parking lot in no time.

Some days that's all you can do. I have to remind myself pretty regularly that it's better than doing chores around the house.

Well, dumb, stubborn me insisted on using his driver during the sim leage round, and watched his ranking plummet.

That thing is coming out of my bag, never to be replaced. I cannot hit a driver, never have, never will.

So, what happened? Everything just go to pot, or one facet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back